It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:27 am

Free Newsletter

Newbie here! Great with eating, horrid with exercise

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie here! Great with eating, horrid with exercise

Postby Niglet » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:56 am

hey everyone!

I'm currently 80kgs and my aim is to get down to 60kg.

My eating habits are really good and I'm mostly vegetarian. It's just the exercise I can never keep up :(

I'm so badly out of shape that most exercise reigimes exhaust me within minutes, and I find walking oh-so-boring.

Right now I'm trying that thing where you run really fast for 30 seconds then walk at normal pace for 30 seconds and repeating for 8 minutes... except I'm so out of shape I can only do it in 15 second intervals for a couple of minutes.

I've never been good at keeping to an exercise plan before, but I'm desperate to make this one work. My mind doesn't work with rewards systems and all that stuff.

But yeah. Any tips would be awesome, because I *really* do NOT want to be this weight any longer than need be.
Niglet

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:07 am

hey niglet welcome to the group :) you will find a couple of girls here who are vegetarians as well :) what i can suggest is to take the exercise slow. if you can do the interval thing- then build up to it. otherwise you will cause yourself an injury and wont be able to exercise at all!start by going on brisk walks then pick the pace up after a few sessions. remember that a run is anything faster than a walk!

best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:07 am

Hi Niglet and welcome to the forum...exercise is essential to losing weight successfully and it needs to become part of your everyday routine....start off small, try walking for 10 minutes at a time and build up from there....if you throw everything you have into it and end up buggered at the end you won't enjoy it and you can damage your body....slow and steady wins the race, there is nothing wrong with pushing yourself, however just don't do it to the extreme when first starting....There are some people on the forum who were self-confessed lazy bones, but now just love exercise and miss it if they can't do their daily fix...others struggle with it and still don't like it even after it has successfully helped them lose their weight, and there are other like me, who enjoy doing it, but have to fight to fit it into a busy day, but which ever group we fall into I am sure we all agree that it is a great way to lose fat and improve our health...I wish you all the best!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Niglet » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:24 am

Wow, quick replies :D Hello you two!

It's so nice to actually have people to talk to about this stuff who understand.

Heheh, just then I managed to keep the interval routine up for three minutes... not very long I know, but it's better than the two minutes I mentioned earlier :)

I probably should also mention that I kept up a great exercise routine for three months of last year but eventually decided I'd had enough of it and gave up. I understand it's a lifestyle change, and half a decade ago I was able to change my lifestyle to accommodate healthy food... so it would be wonderful if I could do the same with exercise :)

Thanks for the welcome ^_^
Niglet

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:32 am

Hey there it is great that you had a routine all those years ago and you will get there again!! Don't worry about not being able to go for too long with your interval training at the moment matey, that is the whole idea of building up at your own pace. I always used to fret when I would get on here and see all the exercise that everyone else was doing and I would post my (seemingly) piddley little amount of exercise, but one day Kim gave me some advice that changed my outlook on things....I am doing what I can do....simple, sure, but it made me realise that yes compared to everyone else it didn't look much, but for me it was a great achievement.....(sorry I tend to ramble :roll: ) Just keep going and you will build your routine up in no time!!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby Niglet » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:38 am

Ramble away, it's fun to hear from people who can relate :)

Yeah, I find it absolutley DAUNTING when I see people who can run for a whole hour. I can't even comprehend that; my chest feels like it'll explode after running for a minute XD

But yeah, right now I figure that anything is better than nothing... I mean hell, most days up until this point I'd stay in my armchair ALL DAY just drawing and watching TV... seriously, I'd only get up to go to the bathroom and go to bed. Disgusting, huh? It gives me some hope though; I mean, I don't do anything all day but I don't fin into the "obese" category... I figure if I can just start enjoying exercise and make it part of my life my weight will improve vastly :)

THanks for the advice ^_^
I believe in the madness called "now".

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQdQcaI/]
[/url]
Niglet

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:46 am

hehehe here I am again.....I bought myself some Walk Away the Pounds dvd's and I do them at home when I have nothing better to do....they are quite easy (the 1, 2, and 3 mile walks) and it is a great way to build intensity. :D

Hey mate don't be discouraged about your FORMER habits of sitting all day.....you are at least doing something about it now....I guess we can all relate to just sitting otherwise we wouldn't all have or had have a weight problem :wink: :wink:
[/url]
Ally

Postby milo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:12 am

Ally wrote:hehehe here I am again.....I bought myself some Walk Away the Pounds dvd's and I do them at home when I have nothing better to do....they are quite easy (the 1, 2, and 3 mile walks) and it is a great way to build intensity. :D

Hey mate don't be discouraged about your FORMER habits of sitting all day.....you are at least doing something about it now....I guess we can all relate to just sitting otherwise we wouldn't all have or had have a weight problem :wink: :wink:

How does the walk away the pounds actually work?
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg
milo

Postby Roar2Life » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:35 am

Hey Niglet, where abouts in brissy are you from?
In a world full of people only some want to fly...
Roar2Life

Postby milkyway » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:43 am

Hey Niglet - welcome aboard.

I think the key to exercising successfully is to find something you love to do, or mix things up.

Do you walk with an mp3 player or anything like that? Can you find a training partner? Sometimes having someone to walk and talk to, and who is expecting you to actually BE there is quite helpful. Or would you prefer to play a team sport like netball? Or how about group exercise classes at your local gym?

Exercise doesn't have to be boring - you just have to find what you enjoy doing.

Can you fit more incidental exercise into you life? E.g. walk instead of drive to the station, walk to the supermarket etc.

I personally hate weight training. I know I should do some, but I find it sooo boring that I just avoid it. So instead I incorporate a bit of resistance training using my own body (push ups, tricep dips etc.). If I did weight as part of personal training I would enjoy it, but that's too expensive for me right now.

Be aware that the type of interval training you're doing is where people are most likely to get injured.

If you're interested in slowly building up your fitness, consider the Couch to 5km program which mixes running and walking until you're eventually able to run 5km without stopping. Many people have had success on this program and some girls here on the forum are doing it. However, that might not be what you're after.

Good luck! :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby KimE » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:12 am

Hi Niglet and welcome to the forum.

Don't get hung up on what others can do. Your weightloss program is all about you! :D Do the best that you can at the time and remember to build it up slowly if you have been doing no exercise. The key really is to find something you enjoy so it doesn't feel such a chore. You may also benefit from a good variety if you become bored easily. Another thing that gets me motivated is doing challenges (check out our challenge thread or sing out for more info). I find if I have to log my exercise mins or kms etc it motivates me to do more especially if some sort of challenge is involved. Making it a routine in your life is what will keep you going through the ups and downs of motivation.

I never used to exercise at all and started around April 2006 now the last 4 weeks for me have been pretty slack exercise wise but because I have made exercise a routine I still managed 3 sessions per week, if I hadn't built it into a habit I don't think I would have even managed that.

All the best on your journey and above all have fun. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:51 pm

things will improve niglet just take it one step at a time and before you know it you will be built up to your previous fitness level last year.
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi Mel in answer to your Q about WATP...it is a series of walking dvd's that also incorporates other moves such as side steps, knee lifts, kicks, kick backs etc...it is a you-beaut variation of just plain walking and it also incorporates upper body movement as well using small weights...there are more in the series such as Walk and jog, Walk and kick etc, these are of a higher intensity to just the mile walks.....
[/url]
Ally

Postby shelbel » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Hey Niglet,
I dunno if this would help but i brought myself a stepper thingie and i read a book or put it in front of the tv! :lol:
it makes the time go faster and not seem so boring for me!

Also i read somewhere (dunno how much actual truth there is in it) that 3x10min sessions are just as good as 1x 30min. I can only fit in 15mins in the morning and another in the arvo at the moment, but at least its something!!

only other advice i can give is just do it!! its amazing the amount of times i tell myself 'oh i'll exercise later' or tommorrow and it just never happens!! theres always some excuse (too cold, too early, too tired, too late, etc, oh yes we all know it!!) so just get out there and go!! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Niglet » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:31 am

Hello peoples! *waves*

Roar2Life, I'm on the northside going out to Chermside. You know, that side of town inhabited by scary looking old people @_@

Milkyway, I'm not a very social person, but I have been trying to exercise in time with my music to some extent; rock's good for that :) Thanks for that link. I'm not sure I'm quite ready for it yet, but hopefully I will be soon. I'm treading very delicately at the moment... I figure being able to exercise while doing other things is the best way to intergrate it into my life. But I may be completley wrong, who knows!

KimE, hi there! How did you go from doing zilch to fitting all that movement into your daily routine? The first few steps are always so hard!

kate, I sure hope so :D I just hope I can stay motivated this time... I so want to wear pretty clothes :(

Shelbel, that'd be cool if those stats were correct. It's hard to do a full block of exercise when you're starting out, but spreading it out through the day is far easier and helps in forming healthy habits I find :)

Hugs to all!
I believe in the madness called "now".

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQdQcaI/]
[/url]
Niglet

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk