It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:06 am

Free Newsletter

Family Support

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Family Support

Postby emma21 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:55 pm

How supportive are your family members/partners/friends etc of your weightloss efforts?

I get the odd supportive comment. Most of the time they come when I really need them.

My partner tries... sometimes lol. Although it annoys me when we go shopping and he stocks up on apple pies, cream, snack biscuits, dips etc etc.. When he buys me things, take a chocolate bar for example, he'll get the lite version (mars lite). He's learning, I'll give him that much lol. And tonight he said to me "So, when is weigh in this week?" He asked that cos "I was just taking an interest". Mind you, he just came into the room where our computers are, Jatz and dip in hand and I said to him "I hope you choke on your biscuits" Isnt love grand? :oops: :lol:

Mum and I discuss weight loss pretty often. She's on Weight Watchers at the moment. Always full of 'good girl, keep it up' messages :)

My sisters come to me for weight loss advice now. Not that Sister number 1 has to lose weight - but she asks about exercise. It makes you feel wanted though lol.

As for Dad, he bought me an exercise bike for my birthday (I asked for it - he wasnt trying to suggest anything). We have discussions about weightloss (he's overweight and diabetic). I wish he would listen though :shock:

When I run into other family members and friends they are supportive as well.

I think its the support you get from loved ones that can really help you keep going :)
emma21

Postby shelbel » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:42 am

I dont know about anyone else, but my partner and friends have seen me lose and put on the same 10 kgs before that they no longer listen to my pledges!!! I know my boy and mates love me and that the ppl around me are bias (spelling!) when they say nice things about me, but its nice to hear support no matter where it comes from!!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:34 am

I agree shelbel....Ive lost and gained 15 kgs so many times, and said THIS IS IT THIS TIME...and then I go off the rails, so now when I mention it to my family they're kind of like 'oh, really, thats great!" but dont really believe it :) Having said that, they are VERY supportive...my friends on the other hand are another story...my thin mates are really happy for me and encouraging...my two best friends are bigger girls, and always put me down for losing weight and try to sabotage me (eg bring round blocks of chocolate and kfc even when I ask them not to) Im sure its just jealousy because they aren't doing something about their weight....I wonder what they will be like when I reach goal?? :shock:
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:49 pm

my fiance mick has been really supportive. i think about 98% of my support came from mick and this forum. 2% was from my family. i didnt tell them i was trying to lose weight but when they started to notice they were like 'oh what are you doing dieting or something?' and id explain i was just eating better and exercising. however it got to the stage where at family bbqs or whatever- especially my aunt who has lost a bit of weight in the past would say things like 'what are you eating that for?' or 'why arent you eating those potatoes? you can eat potatoes and still lose weight' yada yada yada. even now they watch me like a hawk in whatever i eat or drink. and think theyre experts in the field of nutrition and weightloss. then mum would ring up relatives and say 'oh you should see my skinny girl now, she is doing so well' but i think it was to make herself feel better about it all that HER daughter was doing well losing weight.

im glad i have mick and this forum though because they have been invaluable with honesty sincerity and helpful hints :) - p.s. and theyre not pushy!
kate_turner2000

Postby sassi » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:43 pm

i've only really lost weight once before - and then put it all back on. last time i was going to see a trainer and most people knew that, so they had an idea of what i was doing and were supportive.

i met my bf right in the middle of that time & then 6 months later we hit christmas & all the weight came back (plus a little extra). my bf is being really supportive and has his own calorieking login (he only needs to lose a few kg but is just going through the journey with me). he feels some guilt because he's sure it's his fault that i put it back on. i try to tell him that i am the one that controls what i eat and so the buck stops with me, but i don't think he's convinced.

i haven't really told my family this time round because i'm just making lifestyle changes more than anything.

my bf & i live with his mum & she cooks dinner every night so i had to tell her, which i was strangely shy about. the poor thing has a stress at the supermarket over what to buy cos she doesn't want to get the wrong thing. she's actually trying to put on weight so it's a funny combo! she's being great though and just not buying anything too high in fat etc.

phew. that was more than i intended to write. i must learn to not write so much!!
sassi

Postby shelbel » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:47 pm

wouldnt it be great if you could give give the kgs to someone else who needs them!! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:48 pm

nooo dont stop writing long posts i love it!

you are right, you are the one in control of what you have put in your mouth and the lack of exercise in the past no one else. i had to sit there and say to myself 'its not your genes, you arent big boned you need to do something about it for you!'
kate_turner2000

Postby sassi » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:51 pm

shelbel - it doesn't help that we're almost the same height & i'm like almost double her!! not that she makes me conscious of that, she's gorgeous - it's just my mind being hyperactive!

kate - yeah, it would have been a very easy out to let myself blame him, but i figure there's no way i'll ever lose the weight if i don't take responsibility.
sassi

Postby Ally » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:35 pm

My hubby is really supportive and he has seen me go up an down so many times over the 14 years we have been together. My family don't mention my weight, my brother is always proud when I lose weight, but when I gain it back, they are kind enough not to say anything.....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby vanessa0305 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:20 pm

My hubby is also very supportive but he can also be very thoughtless with his comments and of course he doesn't eat the same why I do. He still enjoys ice cream, chocolate and chips.

He will say the words.."do you want me to be honest?" and you know what he is about to say is going to hurt.

My parents where really supportive when I started but now give me grief over my food choices. They think I have lost enough and should stop and not go over board. They also think that I am being silly when I say "no thanks I don't eat honey". Can't win because they really gave me grief when I was big too.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby Lizzie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:16 am

I sat down with my husband last night and told him that I was making changes. He is supportive but skeptical because I have done this all before - many times before. I do get furious though when I am slipping off the rails and he mentions it or says "Do you think you should be eating that" Probably because I am so angry with myself already...
I haven't really told anyone else yet - I think I will wait until they start to notice.
I have had a weight problem since I hit puberty - most of my life. My parents have always been very worried about it. In fact it has been way too much focus in our family. It has got to a point now that no one would ever dare mention it. They will be wrapped when they notice and will be very encouraging. Although with my dad he will always harp on about not letting it creep back - which of course is sensible but not what I want to hear.
Lizzie

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtExczz/]
[/url]
Lizzie

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:13 am

Thats the thing lizzie ;) Im sure (even if its the wrong thing, and i KNOW how annoying it is when its not needed to confirm a fall!) that your family are trying to be helpful....my dad does the same thing.. he'll say should you be eating that grace? Even if its something HE bought me! :twisted: lol (good example, he brought a freddo around for my son and one for me, when I ate it, he said gee I didnt think you would actually eat it!.....hmm lol People really are trying to be helpful..I think you find that your life goes under the microscope a bit when you lose weight :) Everyone has an opinion or some advice (Like when you have kids and EVERYONE has an opinion/remedy on how things should be done grrr) lol
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Fireball » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:13 pm

My husband is not particularly interested but I dont talk to him in terms of what I'm trying to achieve. I will tell him my goals from now on.

He is trying to help, ie he dry fried chicken. It took 4 years to get to this stage - he used to add about 3-4 tbsp margarine/oil which drove me nuts. As a side dish he served veggies and heated Turkish bread with melted cheese inside. Yum. Did he put margarine on it too? You bet - he piled it on! Unfortunately I only thought to ask this after I had eaten it. :oops:

I had only very low Kj meals today so I'm not too worried but he just doesnt seem to get it. He said he hasnt weighed for ages so I am getting him to tonight - then I am going to work out his energy needs. This may help him to understand that it depends what I've already eaten that day what I can eat later.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Niglet » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:48 pm

I think my Dad's getting pissed off because I'm now even fussier than ever about what gets put in the shopping cart XD
I believe in the madness called "now".

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQdQcaI/]
[/url]
Niglet

Postby Puffer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:57 pm

My mum and sister both commented when I lost five kilos, even my sisters husband noticed! He didn't say anything to me but my sister told me he mentioned it to her :lol:

But do you think that was enough to stop me from gaining 4 of the 5 kilos back? Now I am dreading seeing them again because I know if they noticed I lost it they will notice I put it all back on again! Time for round two...
Puffer

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk