It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:14 am

Free Newsletter

Cycle eating...woman only thing.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Cycle eating...woman only thing.

Postby carla » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:05 pm

I have known for a long time that about a week or so before the start of a new cycle is when all my very worst eating over-eating occurs. And the very night before is the worst of the worst.

Well that time is now. And I am so embarrassed about what Ive been eating the last couple of days that I dont even want to do the food diary.

But thought maybe fessing up and putting things out a little more openly may help me begin working on this problem too.

Also not the best period (no pun intended) for feeling motivated. Infact, I was wondering today if most of the weight I have put on over the last 3 years has been largely achieved in that period of time, each cycle. Because not only do I tend to eat more, I also tend to have more of a 'bleh..can't be bothered' attitude to most things, including exercise. Put that together with a decreasing metabolism due to getting older...recipe for disaster!

Postby Dolly » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:19 pm

According to research a womans metabolic rate increases before a period which means she burns more calories, and therefore becomes hungrier and needs more food.

Having said that, the average woman burns an extra 250-500 calories per day in the week running up to menstruation.
so if you and plan accordingly by stocking up with only healthy foods, then this extra demand for calories can become a victory.

Postby carla » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:26 pm

wow thanks for that info Dolly....that's quite heartening to know.

This may also explain why just a few days after menstruation stops, I seem to always be somewhat slimmer. I thought it was just water retention.

Yes...and I do get this almost odd gnawing feeling of hunger around that week before.

Postby miss_muffin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:26 am

hmmm that is interesting. i tend to find with my body that i dont eat more at that time of the month but my body is more reluctant to loose weight. i usually loose around a kilo a week but during that week i dont loose any........anybody else find the same thing???

Postby Trinity » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:45 pm

Im the same as Carla, the week before I just eat everything in sight, usually junk. Im now glad to see its not only me lol :oops:

Postby dragonfly » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:02 pm

oh yes, i am ravenously hungry, the AF arrives.
I am usually a kilo lighter 1-2 days in. I thought it was due to the blood/fluid loss LOL.

knowign this... I can aim to work it in my favour, not against me :)
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg

Return to Weight loss Talk