It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Free Newsletter

I'm oddly confused...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm oddly confused...

Postby Oddly Confused » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:28 am

Where should I start here? Well, I'm a bit curious as to if I'm in shape or not. I'm about 5'9" and weight about 176. Is this a healthy weight? I mean, I think I look OK for a guy with that height and weight. The only thing that really gets at me are the man boobs I have developed. They ARE NOT HUGE, and they definetiley don't sag. But, I just hate them. I'm not super sensitive and I'll take off my shirt at the beach. My "moobies" aren't big enough to be cupped and aren't big enough to swing around. But, I just think I'm overweight.

But this is why I'm confused. I won't tell you my age, but I'll tell you that I'm in junior high, aka, middle school. It's odd that whenever we get weighed in P.E, I'll see kids with the same height and weight as me who look like massive tubs of fat and flesh. No offence, I'm just trying to give a good picture. Anyways, I get on the scale, and there I am, with my belly only going over the belt by about 2 centimeters at best, and it doesn't even sag. Yet, I still weigh this much? Is this muscle, or am I just a lard ass?
Oddly Confused

Postby Oddly Confused » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:32 am

Since you can't edit posts, I just want to mention I eat normally. Three square meals per day. I DON'T skip Breakfast, unless the bus is about to come and I have no time to chow down. I've had McDonalds about twice so far in this whole year, which I think is amazing when you compare this to other kids eating. The only time our family even thinks of fast food is when we have a black out, because we aren't able to cook. Unless we use the grill, which I'm not sure, but I think adds ounces of fat to the food. I do not emotionally eat either. When I'm sad, I usually just sit down and sulk around, or find something to occupy my mind, and stop the sadness.
Oddly Confused

Postby Coach Steer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:57 pm

Hey Man,

It is dangerous to judge yourself according to the scale and your height alone. What you see in the mirror is a better indication. Obviously, you are not quite happy with what you see. It may also be useful, if you want an objective measure, to get a body fat percentage test done by a professional (skin fold test is usually quite reliable).

As to the man boobs, check out the following quote from renowned strength and conditioning coach Charles Poliquin:
...Secondly, simply eat more vegetables–lots more vegetables. That simple trick alone will help you burn fat. You might also consider gorging on the cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, as there seems to be an epidemic of "man boobs" in America. These vegetables are strongly anti-estrogenic, and including them in your diet could go a long way in eliminating this unsightly and decidedly embarrassing problem.

Coach Poliquin's book, Manly Weight Loss is a great resource for male fat loss if you are interested.

Good luck,
Adam

Edited by milkyway to fix the url.
Coach Steer

Postby Coach Steer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:00 pm

Ooops. I'm having the same problem as you... No edit button :)

That book is Manly Weight Loss by Coach Poliquin
Coach Steer

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:38 pm

hey oddly confused,

just a reminder that BMI's are just a guide. i dont really think its right to weigh kids at school- we have enough issues with our weight and we should be told how to eat better and make better choices in regards to nutrition etc instead of being told your overweight your obese and thats that. im not sure what those pounds are in kilos and i dont know your age? so i cant say whether you are weight or muscle or what. how do you feel in yourself?
kate_turner2000

Postby Oddly Confused » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:07 pm

Coach Steer wrote:Hey Man,

It is dangerous to judge yourself according to the scale and your height alone. What you see in the mirror is a better indication. Obviously, you are not quite happy with what you see. It may also be useful, if you want an objective measure, to get a body fat percentage test done by a professional (skin fold test is usually quite reliable).

As to the man boobs, check out the following quote from renowned strength and conditioning coach Charles Poliquin:
...Secondly, simply eat more vegetables–lots more vegetables. That simple trick alone will help you burn fat. You might also consider gorging on the cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, as there seems to be an epidemic of "man boobs" in America. These vegetables are strongly anti-estrogenic, and including them in your diet could go a long way in eliminating this unsightly and decidedly embarrassing problem.

Coach Poliquin's book, Manly Weight Loss is a great resource for male fat loss if you are interested.

[img]http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=momenperfocoa-20&l=ur2&o=1][/img]

Good luck,
Adam

Thanks man. I've practically got a whole planet of veggies in my house. I already eat them, but I guess I better start picking up the work just a bit more. And, it's not that I hate what I see in the mirror. I'm not fat at all. I just have those "things" on my chest is all.

kate_turner2000 wrote:hey oddly confused,

just a reminder that BMI's are just a guide. i dont really think its right to weigh kids at school- we have enough issues with our weight and we should be told how to eat better and make better choices in regards to nutrition etc instead of being told your overweight your obese and thats that. im not sure what those pounds are in kilos and i dont know your age? so i cant say whether you are weight or muscle or what. how do you feel in yourself?

I wish there was a better type of BMI calculator, that calculated body fat and muscle so that you could get a better result. Because, I'm really not fat. I just think that the small percentage of fat in my body went straight towards my chest and stayed there. And I'll tell you that I'm 13.
Oddly Confused

Return to Weight loss Talk