It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Free Newsletter

Weekend post-mortem

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weekend post-mortem

Postby Kitty kat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi Guys,

It’s 9 o’clock on Monday morning on this side of the world (Cape Town,South Africa). The weekend is over and I lived to tell the tale. Last week I pledged that I wouldn’t drink or smoke this weekend. Well, I was partly successful. I drank, but I didn’t smoke at all. YAY!!!! And the amount that I did drink was very minimal, given the weekend that I had. On Friday, I had a work function- that translates into free booze for all. I tried to maintain as much control as possible and ended up having 4 drinks. I was tempted to smoke, but I didn’t. I kept thinking about the fact that my jogging would be impaired if i continued to smoke any further. On Saturday, a friend decided to throw an impromptu birthday party. There was a great deal of alcohol available, but amazingly I only had 3 drinks.

As much as I didn’t get it 100% correct, I’m not too disappointed by my performance. It’s gonna make me motivated to do better next weekend. I hope everyone came through the weekend with as few “battle wounds” as possible.

I'm not an alcoholic, but i find alcohol to be a weakness. Why is it that alcohol is so difficult to give up, even though i'm fully aware of the fact that every drink is further expanding my waisteline????? Is it because alcohol is a "social lubricant"? Is it because i'm scared to go out and spend the whole night without drinking something that's going to alter my mood? I find my dependence on alcohol in social situations to be rather baffling .... possibly crippling!!!

Let me know what you guys think of the whole alcohol issue and weightloss.

All the best for the week ahead

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"
Kitty kat

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:23 pm

hey there kitty :) i have to say Image for not smoking :) what a great effort and it will definately benefit you in the long run. small steps remember :)

not sure about the alcohol thing because i am not a drinker however i find that chocolate is my weakness. i found it difficult to give up as well and whilst ppl who enjoy a drink can have a few a day i would more than happily sit there and eat a block of chocolate a day (not that i do it! but just hypothetically).

i think we just need to remember that we dont need to give up our favourite things completely in life to stay a certain shape we just need to put limits on how much we consume and how often.

cheers Image
kate_turner2000

Postby Ses » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:56 pm

yep - OH- can foil the best weight loss plans. I find I drink less out - ie 2 glasses of red and I am happy. At home it is easy to drink more!

I have resolved to limit the wine to once every 2 weeks at home, with the occasional glass if out. 2 weeks in and the weight is coming off!

Keep uo the hard work
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby molligrub » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:28 pm

I dunno - maybe it's the culture? Like eating - whenever you go out somewhere or visit people, it seems culturally "proper" to offer people food to eat/share dinner etc. I'm assuming it's the same for alcohol - I don't drink and I'm not one for parties at all, but from what people tell me it's just the "done thing" to drink, just a custom everyone seems to share!

Congrats on giving up smoking! ON YA! :!:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby sassi » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:03 am

i can totally relate kitty. i don't drink heaps - in fact i very rarely drink at home, but i do have a few drinks when i go to watch sport with my bf & friends. i only really realised recently exactly how many calories i was putting in to my body. last weekend i drove so i couldn't drink & i found that helpful - because it gave me another reason to say no.

i also know what you mean about the social lubricant - but i didn't find it too bad on the weekend, except that i reached being tired earlier than my bf, but because he knows what i'm trying to achieve, he was happy to go home when i was ready.

going forward i'm going to try and limit myself to only drinking what i can fit in my remaining calorie intake for the day and try and break what i'm sure is habit more than anything else (i.e. i drink when i go to the football because i've been doing it for a few years)

sorry for rambling there.
sassi

Postby Ally » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:17 am

Hi Kitty!! Congrats on going the week without smoking!! That is a great achievement....I think that you have done really well on the alcohol front, considering you are going without the ciggies...make one change at a time mate so that you don't go the "all or nothing" approach and end up with both habits back under your belt....maybe work on the ciggies first for a month or so and then when you feel that is under control, work on the alcohol side of things........

I used to be a fairly heavy drinker, but what I do now is just have one or two over the course of the evening and take my time drinking it....in between I will have plenty of water and then I will just have some diet softdrink....no one is any of the wiser if I am drinking scotch and diet coke, then just come out with a diet coke. If you are a wine drinker try a wine spritzer....that way 2 standard drinks turn into 4!!! I hope this is a help to you :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Kitty kat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Sassi- i agree with you when you say that the drinking may be more out of habit than anything else. Like you, i don't drink much, but there are certain situations where i'm promted to do so. For you, its watching sport. For me its any social event on the weekend (coz i don't believe in drinking during the week). I think i need to try and break the cycle by seeting a maximum limit of say 2 drinks initially and then eventually going without.

Ally- i'm an avid wine drinker and i've heard that spritzers are a great help when trying to lose weight. By making 2 drinks turn into 4, a spritzer definitelymakes the alcohol go further.

Kate- i think you could be right. The alcohol thing may be exactly the same as your weakness for chocolate. Alcohol just happens to be my "drug" of choice. I agree with you that we don't have to give up our favourite things completely, just because we're losong weight, but its all about moderation. At the moment, i don't believe that i can be "moderate" with my alcohol consumption, so that's why i'm aiming to go without until i hit goal weight. When i'm in maintenance, i'll reintroduce alcohol within a calorie-controled diet. By the way, nice to see a picture of you in the flesh. It's good to put a face to the kind words that you always have for everyone.

:D Thanks for the advice guys :D [/quote]

Kitty kat

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:14 pm

hey kittykat you are making a good decision. i cant have chocolate etc in my house when i am trying to lose the weight. today i threw the rest of the cake out i made yesterday afternoon which was a bit more than half a cake! crazy i know! but it had to be done. also when it was my 21st birthday last year i got a huge 1kg box of chocolates and i threw them straight in the bin. felt like an idiot for doing it lol but its best not to have them in the house or put yourself in situations where you are around these things.
kate_turner2000

Jeepers!!

Postby Kitty kat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:23 pm

Welldone on throwing half a cake in the bin!! That had to have taken a great deal of effort on your part. I once saw an episode of censored and the city where Miranda also had leftover goodies like cake, chocolates and the likes and she was binging on them coz i think she was depressed. When she realised that she as stuffing her face with all sorts of fat-laden rubbish, she immediately threw the food away in the bin. She walked away from the bin, but then returned to it a few moments later in an attempt to retreive what she'd just thrown away. She eventually ended up pouring dish washing liquid all over the syuff sh'e just thrown in the bin in order to prevent herself from eating the food (even though it was already in the dustbin)!!!! I found this scene hilarious. But on a serious note, the reason i told you about that episode was because it clearly demonstrates that she did what she had to do in order to get the food away from her. The same goes for you!! As you Aussies say: "GOOD ON YA MATE"!!!! You did well to get that cake away from you.

Well done!!! THree cheers for Kate :D :D :D

Kitty kat

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:45 pm

thanks kitty LOL i didnt mean to take the discussion away from you though! but i was just pointing out what we need to do sometimes in life to make things easier for ourselves.

LOL @ dishwashing liquid. i wont be fetching my cake out the bin with all the dirty nappies in there :P
kate_turner2000

Return to Weight loss Talk