It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Binging in the evening.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Binging in the evening.

Postby Nay » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:40 am

Like many people here, I tend to binge at night. I am fine during the day because I can only eat what I take with me to work plus I'm working and thus not eating. But when I get home, I just want to sit down and do nothing cause I'm so tired...but I'm so hungry as well.

Can anyone give advice about this issue? I have no will power at all!!!
I fell off the wagon last night after a week and a half of good eating.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w1gyr2A/]
[/url]
Nay

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:02 am

hey nay all i can suggest is to make sure you do eat during the day so when you get home you arent so hungry. maybe at night time you can make some snacks for you to have when you get in the door the next day before dinner is ready? popcorn is great!
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:15 am

popcorn is a wonderful snack Kate.....it is very versatile in that if you have a sweet craving you can sprinkle 1 teaspoon of icing sugar on 1 cup of popcorn.....or if it is savoury, try sprinkling on a bit of vegetable salt.....

in the cold weather Nay, have some cup a soups on hand (just not the creamy ones!!) these are a great night time snack as they are around 55-80 calories per sachet and help fill you up

While I was shopping yesterday I picked up a fruit, nut and seed mix from the fruit and veg department.....it has 235 Calories per 50g serve, but it is a healthy alternative to some of the stuff on the market....plus it has the benefits of the "good" fats from the nuts....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:19 am

hmmm the only thing I can think of is to have sensible snacks to binge on...like cut up vege sticks, fruit, like the girls said, popcorn is great :) and LOTS of water! Other that that, try and keep your hands busy...I find if its after my little man is in bed and Im just mindlessly watching TV I am like 10 times more likely to binge than if I am reading a magazine or drawing or cleaning the house...just an idea! :)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Ally » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:22 am

That is a great point Gracie.....discover whether you are hungry or just eating out of habit first.... :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:23 am

I'm not sure I have any useful advice because I do the exact same thing! I do make sure that I don't arrive home ravenous though. Sometimes that helps as I don't gobble up my dinner as quickly, but most of the time it doesn't make a difference... I still get the "bug" after dinner :(

I think it's going to come down to a change in habit. So, instead of standing in front of the fridge after dinner, I might go into a different room and do something different for a while eg. listen to a relaxation tape, clean my teeth, walk on my treadmill. Just replacing the old habit with a new habit...
SarahC

Postby SarahC » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:34 am

I've also found that the more I think about it the worse it gets. I am always thinking "I must not pick after dinner", or "tonight I'm going to try and not pick". What I know, and am not yet able to put into practice, is that you can't think about what you don't want to think about without thinking about it! Meaning, that when you focus on things you don't want, you are actually thinking about that thing, and you're therefore more likely to do it. (Like the other day I was out running and the ground was wet. I though "gosh I hope I don't slip"... I was so focussed on not slipping that I turned a corner very carefully, scared I would slip, but took the corner to wide and ended up in the grass!)

So... we should be thinking about what we do want, like how good we will feel in the morning after not binging the night before, not on what we don't want... like making ourselves sick, feeling guilty, gaining weight, etc.

Now, if anyone who understands what I have just written has any advice on how to actually DO this, please let me know :roll:
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:10 am

lol im stumped with that one sarah i have no idea :P
kate_turner2000

Postby shelbel » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:00 pm

Ah binge o'clock! I know it well!!
I came across this in a mag a year or so ago and it worked well for me. Beading, knitting and other crafty things at times when you would normally seek out food. I was so wrapped up in finishing this bracelet or that necklace that i didnt really think of food (so much) All my friends liked it too because i made them stuff!! I should take it up again. Although catching up on the days posts on this forum has stopped me well enough so far!! :D

I know it might not work for other people. Try and find something that will occupy your mind, reading, puzzles etc. That said it can be really hard sometimes!!!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:09 pm

yeah take 5 is my friend and im knitting :)
kate_turner2000

Postby molligrub » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:37 pm

I find a good idea is to write a journal entry just after I have had a huge binge (you know, at the same time that you are beginning to feel that sinking feeling of despair that the good eating plan has been ruined again), and put it somewhere easily accessible. I find that when I read how awful I felt - stomach swollen and bloated, nauseated, hating myself, puffy face, then it brings back how awful it is to binge.

And when I am in those post binge hating myself sessions I am brutally honest about feelings in a journal, then when I reread it I don't want to go back there. (it does help sometimes).

Also I ask myself "What do I want more, to eat heaps and set my weightloss back a week, or to fit into those clothes in my cupboard that haven't been worn in years?"

If I think of any more things to help I'll post them. I'm in the same boat as you - If I'm gonna binge it's ALWAYS at night.

You can do it!!!

Molli.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby Zero » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:30 pm

I love music, so I've found that guitar practice helps me take my mind off food, and sometimes for quite a number of hours.

I think its a case of diverting your attention to something else.
Start Weight (from beginning): 71
Current Weight: 63.00
Weight lost so far: 8.00
Goal Weight: 55.00

8 kilos left.
Zero

Postby emma21 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Lately I have been binging at night - not because I am hungry, but because its cold, I use food when I am annoyed and because its a habit that I am trying to break :?

Some nights I am fine. When I feel like binging while watching tv (and its usually during the ads that I get up to get food) I grab a book instead and read that so I'm not getting up to get food.

I have found though that if I keep my hands busy - folding the washing etc I'm fine.

I want to learn to knit lol
emma21

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:39 pm

ooh me too emma! :) I would love to learn to knit! I used to crochet (mostly when i was preggy and off work!) but havent done it in a loooong time...I think Ill have to get it out again
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:14 pm

i can only do perl or plain :P i have slacked off with the knitting lately. mum is a great knitter so she helps me :P
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk