It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:00 am

Free Newsletter

Surgery for Weight Loss

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Surgery for Weight Loss

Postby Immortal » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:24 am

What does everyone know about Surgery / Operations to lose weight???
Victims; Aren't we all...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wX0EW8N/]
[/url]
Immortal

Postby Ally » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:20 pm

there are good points and bad points about surgery for weight loss...lap band etc....if you decide to go down this road, please look into very carefully and consider all the options....there is a discussion on the board somewhere about lap band and I do believe that one of the ladies has just rejoined us after having her surgery done and she has lost an amazing amount of weight....but it is a big decision and comes with a lot of risks and side effects....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:10 pm

I dont know much, but Ally has some great advice :) Id go along and discuss it with your GP for some thorough information, and then do LOTS of research :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Bandit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 am

Hi Immortal,

The Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band is done by keyhole surgery. It is totally reversable if need be (no internal parts are removed). A band with an expandable inner balloon is placed on the upper stomach, creating a small pouch. A tube runs from the band to a small port sewn into the stomach muscle, so that saline can be easily injected to tighten the band & create restriction. You feel full after a small meal, & fullness is retained as it takes some time for the food to go through the small opening into the lower stomach. The band can be loosened for pregnancy, maintaining after weight loss, or any other reason. A 'fill' or 'unfill' is very quick & painless.

In Gastric Bypass surgery, the stomach is actually cut to a smaller size, & part of the small intestine is bypassed, so that fewer calories are absorbed into the body.

I chose Lap Band surgery, & it is by far the best thing I have ever done for my health. No regrets at all! I had it done 5 1/2 months ago, & have lost 33kg, with 27 to go.

It is a 'tool' not a cure. I work out at the gym regularly, & have to be mindful of getting enough protein, & not taking in too many liquid calories. Things like icecream, & high-calorie drinks will go through the band without much feeling of fullness.

Having said that, diets have never worked in the long term for me. I've lost lots of weight on them, only to regain when I go off the diet, so, I don't diet anymore. Nothing is 'bad' or 'off-limits'. I eat normal, mostly healthy foods, but still have a treat every now & then. Rather than a huge block of choc like the old days, I buy a small bar, eat it slowly (as bandits do!) & I'm satisfied. I love my band!!!

As with any medical procedure, there can be risks, complications or problems. I believe that if you do your research first, & follow the basic banding rules & Dr's orders, you can greatly minimise risks & increase success.

There is lots of great banding info - the good, the bad & the ugly, from those who have been there - here:
http://au.messages.yahoo.com/health/lap-band/
Bandit

Postby Immortal » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:21 am

I heard that some foods can't be eaten after banding??? Including things like bread etc. What do you find??
Victims; Aren't we all...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wX0EW8N/]
[/url]
Immortal

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:43 am

A guy at the bloke's work had lap banding done and has lost quite a lot of weight with it. He also says that he gets annoyed with people who have it done and then think they can just go back to being as unhealthy as they were before and complain that "it doesn't work". He also believes it is a tool, not a cure (i.e he still has to watch what he eats and exercise etc)

It's certainly a very personal decision. I don't think I would choose to have it done unless I had tried everything under the sun and given it a red hot go first and my weight was at a level that was very dangerous. But that's me
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Bandit » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:13 pm

Dawn, your workmate has the right idea. It DOES still need to be worked at, as with any weightloss plan, & I feel the main benefit will come *after* I'm at ideal weight. I will never be able to eat large portions again, so I won't be 'going off a diet'. I won't regain the weight (as I have every other time) as long as I keep my band topped up every year or so, & retain my 'all food in moderation' approach.

Immortal, ever bandster is different in regards to what they can & cannot eat. The majority cannot each fresh white bread, as it turns into 'dough' in the pouch & would block up the little hole. It would come back out the way it went in! Toast, & wholegrain bread seems to fare a lot better.

Lots of bandsters also have problems with steak. I'm okay with it as long as I chop it into tiny pieces first, & chew very well.

A not so bad thing, but I find I can't tolerate chips very well. Occasionally we get a takeaway of grilled fish & chips. I generally eat half a fishfillet, & have maybe 2 or 3 chips. More than that doesn't sit very well, but I'm fine with that. Because everything has to be chewed really well first, I'm satisfied with those 2 or 3.

If someone has had a very tight fill, they may find that quite a few different things won't go down well, so it's best for them to have a little fill taken out.

For me, some dietary restrictions, small mouthfuls & lots of chewing are more than a fair price for the benefits I'm seeing. :)
Bandit

Return to Weight loss Talk