It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:16 am

Free Newsletter

Compliments

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Compliments

Postby SarahC » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:43 am

A strange thing happened to me at the gym this morning. This guy came up to me and said that he noticed that I had lost a lot of weight since starting at the gym a year ago. He wanted to know what I had done to lose the weight and what I was doing to keep it off.

I felt pretty happy initially because I didn't think that my weight loss was all that noticable, being only 5 to 7 kgs. But, now I think about it..... how creepy! He must have been checking me out quite a bit over a long period of time to notice anything :shock:

Is it just me, or is that a strange thing for someone to say? Particularly someone you don't know, and being a male approaching a female... :? Should I be happy or creeped out??

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not too keen on people commenting on my size and how small they think I am. I find it a bit de-motivating and tend to think "well, if I'm that small, I might as well eat a little more... and a little more!" (When Othello was here he told me at least three times a day, every day for a week... that did not help me after he left at all!!!!)
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:50 am

hey sarah wow what a great compliment but then you think of the creepiness of it all :shock: i spose at that time of the morning you have to look at something whilst working out. maybe he was hitting on you?

im glad you are swapping gyms soon though :P
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:13 am

Yeah I know... there's a couple of guys there that say hi to me now! I just go along and do my own thing and don't really think about anyone else. Feel a bit self-conscious now :oops:
SarahC

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:18 am

I guess they wouldnt have meant it in a stalker type way :D Ppl just notice that kind of thing, and were probably really only trying to make you feel good....we have a girl at the local chemist and before I gained my weight back, she would always come up and say OMG you look great, you're so small now! I worry now that I have gained it all back she is thinking the opposite :oops: Im not much good at taking compliments full stop (particulary from males!) so I do understand how it makes you feel uncomfortable!
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby MissE » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:47 am

I wouldnt feel uncomfy at all, its a very nice compliment :D Some people are more 'people-watchers' than others, and notice more. You've been going there a year, and so has he so its not unreasonable that he picked up on it!
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby Ally » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm

Nice compliment for sure Sarah......maybe he had just been noticing you over that period of time....I know when I used to go to the gym (don't laugh, I did!) I used to see the same people there and would notice the changes in them...maybe that is all it was and he wanted to compliment you on a job well done....however I guess it is easy for us to surmise, you were actually there getting the vibes off this guy!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby shelbel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Maybe he was just looking for an excuse to talk to you!! Maybe he'd wanted to for a while?? He might have wanted to chat you up! Just a theory!

Plus boys think differently to us! He might not have realised it was a tad creepy. :roll:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby SarahC » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:41 am

Ahhh the guy thing again lol :roll:

You know I mentioned this to my mum last night. She said that she could not tell the difference after I had lost weight! She vows and declares that I have always been thin! How can some stranger notice an obvious difference, yet my own mother can't? Very strange.

Well, I notice and that's all that counts :)
SarahC

Postby Green_Butterfly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:33 am

I have noticed that it seems friends I don't see as often notice my weight loss alot more in comparison to people I see alot more, like immediate family. I guess this is because they aren't seeing you every day and don't get used to to the gradual changes in your face/body. take it as a compliment and don't get too freaked out, i bet your just looking super sexy and he couldn't resist himself!
:lol:

**Bec**
Life's a garden, dig it!!!
Green_Butterfly

Postby Ally » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:35 am

Yeah Bec that is what I was thinking...the people who are closest to us are the ones who notice last....my hubbie can always "feel" it before he sees it (minds out of gutters girls...when he gives me a hug!! :P )
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Leishkin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:15 pm

aww I think that's lovely, I always think it takes a lot of guts to tell someone they look good, especially if you're struggling yourself, but as some people have said, guys brains are different to girls' :P

I went to the gym for the first time in aaages a few months back, possibly the last time before I cancelled my membership because I just wasn't using it enough - I'd hardly been doing anything, but a woman I'd been talking to on the bikes came over as i was warming down and said 'good on you, you look great' and it made me feel really happy, even though deep down I knew I *hadn't* been working out, it kinda made me want to do more. haha.

so maybe next time you see someone a bit overweight really putting their back into it at the gym you should go up and tell them they're looking really good - it'll either creep them out or make their day :P
Leishkin

Postby milkyway » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Take it as a compliment, Sarah... unless of course you're getting that 'icky' feel from him ... woman's intuition knows best :P

I think it's much harder to notice anything when you see someone everyday... but when you only see someone once a month, it's a lot easier to notice the changes.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby reester33 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:48 pm

Take it as the compliment it was meant to be...no creepiness.

Guys notice things but not in a "I want to get to know you" kind of way. Basically they say the first thing that pops into their head. I had a guy at work comment on how much smaller my thighs were!! :oops: And I know he didn't mean anything by it....although it made me feel uncomfortable for a little while wondering what the other dozen or so guys thought! :? Working with mostly guys I know understand that they look at the mechanics of things....us girls put an emotional attachment to it.

re: your mum not noticing....well, that goes to show what a wonderful mum you have! :wink: She accepts you the way you are and loves you regardless. Believe me it's a real pain to have a mother who notices every little pound that goes on or off! :D

:) M

I WAS EATING MYSELF TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!
reester33

Return to Weight loss Talk