It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:26 am

Free Newsletter

gym and family

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

gym and family

Postby carla » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:18 pm

I just wondered if there are any among you who have family and work commitments who also go to gym fairly regularly. While I really like the idea of going to gym (or prolly a combo of gym and swimming) two or three times a week, it feels kinda like I would be making a HUGE commitment along with having three teens and working 3 to 4 days a week. But is it? Maybe that's just defeatist thinking on my behalf?

Really interested to hear...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3O213/]
[/url]
carla

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:23 pm

hey carla i dont go to the gym because i cant afford it, however i think you need to do this for you. theyre not going to lose the weight for you (your kids) and i am sure they want to see you healthy and happy. maybe discuss it with your kids and see what they think. i reckon theyd be all for it
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:38 pm

I agree with Kate :)
I think it would be worse if you had little kiiddies (toddlers, primary school age etc) but teenagers should be ok to look after themselves for a bit :) My mum used to go to the gym mon, wed, fri when I was a kid (15 and my sister was 13) and we just made tea and watched tv :) Im sure if you chat with them something can be sorted out :)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby vanessa0305 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:29 pm

I have 4 kids aging from 2 years to 13 years. I go to the gym at least 6 times a week, sometimes more. I also work part time. I think you have to make a commitment to yourself and for yourself.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby Sassygirl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:55 pm

I don't go to a gym - but I do go to Curves. I go at 6.00am about 4 times a week - it is the only time that I can fit it in with kids, work and a husband who works late. I love the feeling I get when I finish - more energy and I am wide awake. It costs me $49 a month. When my kids were smaller and I wasn't working I would go to a rec centre and do an aerobics class which cost about $7.50 at that time, plus I had to pay creche costs which were about $5 for both the kids - when you add it up it was costing me a lot of money.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby Chelle » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:05 pm

I go to the gym my kids are 2 & 5 they love it there. I go anywhere between 2 - 5 times a week but for teenages they should be right to look after themselves for an hour or two while you have your time & look after yourself get fit & healthy. Why don't you trial it for a week & see how you go, have you spoken to your children about this & see if they think it is a good idea??
Chelle

Postby Dee » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:07 pm

Is there any possibility that one or more of your teens might like to join you? That way you can both get fit together PLUS you get to spend some quality time together...
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby carla » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:36 am

Thanks for your great responses, everyone!

Actually, the kids already often have to make do without me, can cook their own meals and all that, when I work lates. I think it's just stuck in my head that they're still 'little'. Heh. I guess I really have no excuse.

And it probably would get them interested if they saw me going and getting results from it. I know from when I have done gym (yearrrrrrrs ago now) or swimming (more recently but fell out of the habit when the local swimming centre shifted and Id now have to catch public transport rather than just walk to it) I did feel fantastic after, much more energetic, mood lifted and everything.

I think if I do it, I might just start with one session a week because of my 'all or nothing' attitude which I need to relax up on.

It was pretty inspiring to hear that some of you manage it even with kids, work etc. I'm impressed.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3O213/]
[/url]
carla

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:49 am

You can do it carla :D Cant wait to hear your progress :)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Return to Weight loss Talk