It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:19 am

Free Newsletter

How much can you really put on in a day?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby milkyway » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Kate, I don't think you came across as biyatchy at all, hun. Scales shmales. I think you've raised a really good point here - scales are one measurment only, and probably the least accurate. Other body measurements, such as fat % via skinfold calipers and cm and also your clothes are great ways to measure your progress.

I've been hovering around the same weight now for almost 3 months, yet I'm sure I'm slowly shrinking, probably replacing fat with muscle. Even my sister said today I need new jeans because the ones I have on are all baggy around the butt now and they used to be tight as. They weren't like that three months ago - comfy but firm. I'll get my body measurements done again at my gym at the end of August and then I'll really see the progress. I also only weigh in once per week as I couldn't stand seeing the daily fluctuations. I just don't think it's reliable and an accurate representation of the work I've been doing.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby dietcoke » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 pm

I think it just depends on the person. I don't find scales to be all that useful for me becaue my weight fluctuates so much but some people swear by them. I suppose it's whatever works for you...to keep you on track.

But it IS interesting because I didn't realise how much other people's weight fluctuates like mine...normal I guess.
dietcoke

Postby Jannie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 am

Hi Kate,

90cm is absolutely amazing! Well done, you!

You didn't sound bi tchy at all. Of course, you are right and scales can be very deceiving, but it is a big temptation to get some validation that what you are doing is actually working. Today I found myself hitching up my jeans, which used to be quite tightly-fitting, so I can see something good is happening. Still, I don't think I can quite give away scale-watching just yet :lol: !

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBcrzqc/]
[/url]
Jannie

Postby loveat116 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:11 pm

Sorry, I just came past this thread.

1kg Fat = 3500 calories.

So to put on 4.4lbs (2kg) of fat you would have to eat 15,400 calories. And probably more because you burn energy just by living!

So yep. Its VERY unlikely you can gain 2kg of fat in a day. It could be a number of things, like fluid retention, consitpation, gaining muscle.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:43 pm

loveat116 wrote:Sorry, I just came past this thread.

****1lb Fat = 3500 calories.

So to put on 4.4lbs (2kg) of fat you would have to eat 15,400 calories. And probably more because you burn energy just by living!

So yep. Its VERY unlikely you can gain 2kg of fat in a day. It could be a number of things, like fluid retention, consitpation, gaining muscle.

Interesting.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby Ophir » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:30 pm

I have found that if i eat very high card foods such as rice i can put on up to 1-2kg overnight, but it is fluid and is generally gone by the next day.

I am another person who weighs everyday. I know its not a good habit, but for me, it helps me stay on track and accountable. Otherwise i tend to have junk snacks etc and throws me right out.
Ophir

Postby mel74 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:32 pm

I weigh myself daily but only at work (3 days a week). Otherwise I tend to fall into the negative mindset that can come with weighing myself too often.

The advantage I've found with the work scales (I am in a health facility) is that they can't be fudged or doubted (tip toes, fingers on the bench, maybe the batteries are going flat).
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCGMto5/]
[/url]

"Lean into your fears. Dare them to do their worst and SHRED them when they try"
-Richard Bach
mel74

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk