It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:40 am

Free Newsletter

Protein shakes

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Protein shakes

Postby dietcoke » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:40 pm

Does anyone use protein powder for shakes or meal replacements?

If so what results have you noticed (in weight loss, muscle tone etc)?

Which brands do you use?

I'm going to this discount vitamin/body building store tomorrow but don't really know what to look for.
dietcoke

Postby Bandit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:22 am

I have a protein drink after every workout. If you are doing weight training, a protein drink within an hour of working out will help in the building of muscle (& I don't mean big blokey muscles on a woman!) A gram of muscle burns fat at TEN TIMES the rate as a gram of fat. Protein is also essential for healthy skin & nails, energy & general well-being.

I personally require extra protein, & I can't compare with/without drinks, as I started drinking protein drinks when I started working out. I have lost 33kg, & am toning up nicely though!

I have tried a couple of brands, but love the taste of Lady Bird Womens' Whey. There's a few really nice flavours, my fave being cookies & cream. I have compared to Musashi & others, & it contains more protein, more vitamins & minerals & less carbs. It's the only one I buy now.

LOL, I sound like an ad, but promise I don't work for them!
Bandit

Postby dietcoke » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:40 am

Oh excellent. I wrote it down...thanks!

33 KILOS???!!! Oh my god you're amazing. How have you managed that? How long has it taken?
dietcoke

Postby Bandit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:45 am

I had lap band surgery, added some determination & lots of hard work, & just over 5 months later, I'm 33kg down with 27 to go :)
Bandit

Postby dietcoke » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:51 am

Wow. Well done...that's awesome!

Thanks so much for your suggestion too. I looked it up and it looks quite good. And it's not too expensive either.
dietcoke

Postby sassi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:59 am

hi dietcoke. not sure if i'm too late - but i use (although have been very slack in recent months) cell biology thermogenic protein. the trainer i used to see recommended it. i'm not sure how easy it is to buy - i know they have a shop somewhere in melb & they also have a website.

i wish i could remember the reasons why he suggested this particular type of protein but i can't - sorry :(
sassi

Postby SarahC » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:36 am

Sounds interesting, maybe google could provide some further info :)

I've been using the Musashi 92 protein powder. I don't have it in shakes all that often actually, I'm more inclined to add it to food, like yummy pancakes, protein bars or cakes/slices. (Embarrassing confession: It's so delicious that I've developed a habit of eating it right off the spoon :oops: I'm adding to my waistline and subtracting from my bank account!!!! Eating money :evil: )

Anyway, it has a good variety of different proteins in it ie, soy and whey, isolates and concentrates... I don't understand the benefits of all the different types so I figure I've got my bases covered lol.
SarahC

Postby Ally » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:37 am

hehehe sorry bandit...but eveytime I hear of protein powder it reminds of exactly what you said it doesn't do....giving you big blokey muscles!! :P :lol: :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby dietcoke » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:31 pm

Ok thanks for your tips guys.

Wish I had've read your replies before I left but oh well I'll try this one I bought and see how it goes.

I got Horleys Sculpt for women. I found it on the net last night with a yahoo search and it looked alright. I wrote a few down but it was the first one I saw in the store and just grabbed it. I walked to the shop which meant I was all red and starting to sweat (doesn't take me long to get in that state) THEN when I walked into the store the guy who worked in the body building section was HOT thus resulting in even more redness and sweating (self portrait -----> :oops: ) ...aaaaaaanyway needless to say I grabbed that stuff and got out of the store asap. You'd better believe if my hair was alright and I'd done my make-up properly and had DRIVEN there I would've flirted shamelessly...just means I'll have to work extra hard and finish this stuff so I can go back for more :wink:
dietcoke

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:37 pm

hehe what an incentive ;)
kate_turner2000

Postby dietcoke » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:46 pm

That's right. Nothing like a bit of eye candy to motivate me. The best kind of candy I suppose because it doesn't add to my daily calories.
dietcoke

Postby Chelle » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:47 pm

I use sculpt at the moment & drink it every time I go to the gym. I have tried a few of them there was one that was really excellent but when I went to get another container of it they didn't make the product anymore. :(
Chelle

Postby dietcoke » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:53 pm

Oh that sucks.

How do you find the Sculpt? Any good?
dietcoke

Postby theresaberlay » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:52 am

Does protein intake has other side effects? I heard some saying that you might get some extra weight. Is that true?
theresaberlay

Postby Immortal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:39 am

Eye Candy is the best Candy, cause potentially it could help burn calories or fat... Rather than adding.
Victims; Aren't we all...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wX0EW8N/]
[/url]
Immortal

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk