It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Daily calorie intake

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Daily calorie intake

Postby dietcoke » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:12 pm

Ok can someone please help me here...

I used the weight calculator thing on this website and it says that to maintain my weight I need to consume 2296cals per day. I'm not sure if I did it right as I said I am "moderately active"...that's based on 30mins to 1 hour of cardio every day (combination of walking, skipping and online circuit thing) plus 20-40mins of pilates (intense upper body one day, basic 20min workout the next) and other free/body weight exercises.

But 2296 seems like a LOT of calories. I am looking to lose a few kilos but I don't want my body to go into starvation mode. I counted my calories for today and I only got to about 1275. I've already eaten dinner and am full right now but I know if I get hungry later and allow myself to eat I probably wont stop (I'm a night binger).

Sorry this post was SO long but could someone please give me an idea of how many calories I should be having or point me in the direction of a different calculator?
dietcoke

Postby KimE » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:20 pm

As you said those calories are to maintain your weight. To lose weight you need to be eating less than your maintenance amount. I have read that a drop of around 500 cals will give you a good place to start but I also started on around the 1300 mark when I was losing weight. You don't really want to go below 1200 if you can help it as your body may not be getting all the nutrition it needs. So if you are full and have eaten over 1200 then you do not need to eat anymore, however, you are the best person to judge this. I too have found the calculators to come out quite high so I try to work it based on the activity I have done for the day and how full or hungry I am.

I don't know if I answered your question but I certainly blabbed on. Feel free to sing out if you need more info.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby dietcoke » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:28 pm

hehehe. No that was perfect...thanks.

It's not easy for me to stay under the 1200 cals anyway so that works out well. I'll just eat like I have done today and if I feel that it's affecting my weight or energy level in a negative way I'll try to add a few more cals.
dietcoke

Postby KimE » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:43 pm

Sounds like a good idea. The calorie counting has a bit of trial and error until you know what works best for you. Oh and I found as I began exercising I needed a bit extra cals for more fuel, but again you will notice how your body feels.

Best of luck. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:28 pm

that is what I like about the calorie king software Kim....it deducts your exercise calories from your food diary!! That way you know where you are!! 8)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby dietcoke » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Everyone raves about this Calorie King thing. Think I'll have to check it out. I usually use http://www.food.com.au to find out how many calories are in each food but it takes AGES.
dietcoke

Postby dietcoke » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Bugger...I just did the calorie king thing and it says I have 788cals remaining! (after I added my exercise).

:shock:

This stuff is so confusing. What ever happened to eating a little less and exercising a little more? Oh well I'll just keep doing my thing until it doesn't work. 8)
dietcoke

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:02 am

its all trial and error mate. thats what im finding at the moment
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:59 am

Calorieking finally let me join....I worked out what I was doing wrong (going to calorking.com which is not free, calorieking,com.au IS free :oops: ) doh lol looks like it will be a great resource! :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby KimE » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:23 am

Calorie king is excellent. One thing you can try is put all your food in before the exercise that way you can see if you have gotten to the 1200 cals mark. I did find that sometimes I was under 1200 due to my exercise, especially on days when I did both cardio and weights. So initially I had eaten 1200 but it had become less due to exercise and I never figured out if I was supposed to eat more....I think Kate and I had a similar discussion recently. Hope that makes sense.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:10 am

i actually stood on the scales today for a sneaky peak and discovered that the scales arent moving for me. i have noticed a few times this week that i have been under 1200 a day so i trying my hardest from this day on to get to around 1300 a day. its all trial and error for me but im sure ill get the hang of it.
kate_turner2000

Postby Ses » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:57 am

I tried counting calories last year, using an american website similar to this one. I was sticking to 1200-1500 a day and getting nowhere!

Recently I decided to go back to ww (I had success with the program a few years ago), and have been losing the excess again.

Contemplating this thread I just plotted yesterdays food intake (porridge with dried fruit, brown sugar; skim milk for coffee, 1/2 punnet strawberries, apple, tuna, capsicum, 4 corn thins, 8 olives, banana, beef hot pot, potato) which correlated with 18.5 points on ww. The calorie count for this menu came to 1287 cal; with a breakdown of fat 14%, Protein 31.8% and carb 54.2%.

Frankly I was surprised. It is so much easier to follow the points system then calculating every thing I put in my mouth, and my food intake stats are better then I was achieving following the counting process!

My ww points at the moment are 21 a day (roughly 1500 cal?), and have been giving me a loss of 6kg over 11 weeks, with only incidental excercise. If you excercise alot I do not think you should consider going under 1500 cal EVER!

many people advocate eating 500 cal less then maintenence plus excercise clas burned, to achieve a loss of 1/2 kg per week.

BE KIND TO YOUR BODY
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby KimE » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:24 pm

I think the 500 cals less than maintenance is to help your body from not going into starvation mode and is certainly a good place to start. Where just all so different and our bodies react differently so you do what works best for you. WW is an excellent program and like Ses says you don't have to think so hard about how many cals etc and it can be a simpler way to work out and balance your meals.

For me I liked all the thinking and working it out and now I don't need to calculate as I have gotten so used to what my food is doing for me and the approx cals of most things I eat.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby dietcoke » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:46 pm

Yep I definitly think different things work for different bodies. I was feeling hungry last night and decided to have a couple of ryvita with peanut butter which took my calories up a bit more but I was still WAY under. Maybe the reason I have never been successful in keeping weight off is because I UNDEReat. Then when I start to eat a little more I gain a kg or two, get disheartened and start binging.

The Weight Watchers thing is excellent! My aunty lost heaps of weight on it and it didn't take very long at all. I made a table of common foods and their points value and followed it for a little while but without the support of the meetings (and without this site) I didn't have much motivation to keep it up for long. But I think it's good because you start to see everything as a points value and it becomes second nature to know how much you should eat. PLUS it teaches you about portion control too.
dietcoke

Postby Ses » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:38 pm

i tried following the program on my own (because I hate paying!), but it just was not working. I do not know why, but forcing myself to pay once a week seems to make the difference. I only stay for the "talk" once every 2-3 weeks. Maybe because I am paying I am more inclined to control the food ..........
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk