It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:53 am

Free Newsletter

sleep and weightloss

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

sleep and weightloss

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:54 am

Anyone see "don't die young" last night? They were saying how lack of sleep is related to weight gain and the presenter had some sleep deprivation over 1 night and they were doing all kinds of tests including her energy intake. She went from 1700 to 2000 (can't rememner if it was cals or kj) over one night. Not much data to play with so we can't conclude anything, but it was to illustrate the previous research.

I'm now thinking my recent food issues may be due to my poor sleep routine lately. :shock:

I went to bed earlier than usual last night and had 9 hrs sleep which was a change from my usual 7 ish lately. Still feel tired, but my new resolve is to get adequate sleep.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Lack of Sleep and Weight

Postby Bron M » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:11 am

Know all about the lack of sleep and eating more.... My daughter used to sleep really well up until about 5months ago, when she stopped sleeping I started eating. I found if I only get a few hours of sleep all I want to do all day is eat. I think its because I think it will give me more energy.
I have made sure that I exercise more on the days I have had the least amount of sleep so that I can have that extra hot chocolate etc.

Hope this Helps
Bron M

Postby Ses » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:26 am

I have learnt from experience (I have huge sleep problems), that when I do not get enough sleep, I do not lose weight no matter what I eat. I also have found that if I dont get enough excercise my sleep patterns are even worse.

Excercise = sleep = wt loss for me!

Postby yummymummy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:07 pm

I got to agree with the food issues and sleep thing- when I was at uni I got bugger all sleep because all my study was done at night and I just couldnt loose weight- graduated slept more and could maintain and diet/exercise regime conducive to me losing weight,

Postby SarahC » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:53 pm

Couldn't agree more with everything that's been said! Sleep and relaxation helps so much. Now if only I could get me some of that.... would it be poor form if I crawled under my desk next to my heater and had a bit of a sleep? Think the boss would notice?? :twisted:

Postby madeline » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:11 pm

hehe I say go for it sarah! :twisted: mmm heater <3
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)

Postby Lady bird » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:48 am

getting enough sleeps keeps you thin :!: that's because when your body doesn't get seven to eight hours of sleep it needs every night to get rejuvenated, it needs to find ways to compensate for neurons not secreting the normal amounts of serotonin or dopamine. The way it typically does that is by craving sugary foods that will give you immediate release of sertonin and dopamine. the lack of sleep throws off your entire system - even increasing your levels of NPY, which increase your appetite :!: so try and get your 7 to 8 hours every night :!: :!:

Lady bird
Lady bird

Postby reester33 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:16 am

It's a pretty complex system that's not just related to a few hormones but several groups of hormones. Lack of sleep is also related to depleted levels of human growth hormone (HGH) which are replenished during periods of deep sleep. This depletion leads to an increase in somatostatin levels which inhibits a whole heap of regulatory hormones to do with metabolism (eg: thyroid stimulating hormone, insulin, gastrointestinal hormones) - it actually slows it down!! :shock:

Lack of sleep also increases production of ghrelin (another hormone which induces hunger - especially for carbs) and reduces leptin levels (inhibits hunger). now we know why we crave biscuits, or toast, or chocolate late at night with our cuppa! :P Leptin is released by adipose (fat) cells to say "I'm full - don't feed me anymore!" Now you see a problem here? :cry:

And for those who don't know what NPY is (I didn't I had to look it up) - it is Neuropeptide Y which plays a role in energy balance. High levels of NPY in cerebrospinal fluid (protects the brain and spinal column) are associated with high food intake and decreased physical activity. :shock: :shock: High sugar and high fat diets are also linked to increased production of NPY. :roll: I know why I put on weight after nightshift even though I don't eat anything more than usual! :(

:) Maree

Postby Becksta » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:35 pm

I just look at it this way, if I'm asleep I am not poking about in the fridge looking for things to munch on. :twisted:

Postby milkyway » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:48 pm

LOL Very interesting perspective Becksta! :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:17 pm

Wow some very informative information given- enough to make the mind boggle :shock: lol

So to conclude: sleep = weight loss.

I've been getting very little sleep lately too many late night and early rising for me. I find it very hard to go to bed before 11pm :?

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs

Postby sassi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:04 am

i hadn't heard this before recently but it makes complete sense to me. the less sleep i have, the more i want to eat & all the 'wrong' foods as well.

i never want to go to bed early enough to get my 8 hours. but i'm really going to have to try i think!

Postby SarahC » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:39 pm

Early night for me tonight!!

Not enough sleep also causes massive caffeine intake the next day. I think we already had some discussion on caffeine and weight loss a while back :wink:

Return to Weight loss Talk