It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:54 pm

Free Newsletter

One for the bigger losers!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

One for the bigger losers!

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:43 pm

Hey ppl :)
I have just sat down and realised that I have 40+ kilos to lose....realistically I will be here at least another year, probably longer before I reach my goal weight (and If i can control the binges :roll: and not gain any more back) I had one of those days today when I feel really fat and awful and down on myself...my clothes are ugly and frumpy (had a comment, which was totally innocent, but still! someone asked me if I had borrowed nanas jacket :roll: ) Because I have gained nearly 20 kgs in the past 3 months, I have a whole wardrobe of nice and 'trendy' things I have never worn ( I just picked up a layby of clothes than I now cannot even get over my head, which were firm, but fitted when I laybyed them I figured I'd be smaller when I picked them up, but now Im too big *sigh*)
You would think this would be motivation to lose the weight, but it just makes me see my failures and feel even worse....anyway, my question is for those of you that have a fair bit to lose- How do you not feel overwhelmed by the task ahead? I just feel (and look!) massive, and like I will never get there.....how do you keep going, and not give up by feeling its too much for you? I feel so depressed by how disgusting I have let myself get back to, that i just want to give up sometimes......any advice? (its also nearly TTOTM so that explains SOME of why I feel so rank :roll: :cry: ) thanks guys
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby milkyway » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:53 pm

Hey Gracie, I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling great at the moment :(

I know I'm not one with a huge amount to lose and you'll get some good advice from others, but I think that tackling it a kilo at a time is the way to go. Don't focus on the 40 number. Break it down into smaller steps with smaller achievable goals and rewards. Maybe your first goal is to lose 2kg, then it might be to get to 5kg and you'll reward yourself with something nice - a CD, a handbag, whatever floats your boat :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Zero » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:59 pm

I can definitely appreciate your comments about the whole ordeal being quite overwhelming, but I know that when I start to feel down and out, I just think "It has to be done"..... if i break my plan, or if I put it off, it just means that my journey to good health is just going to take even longer...

So, I think getting into that mindframe helps a lot.

Good luck with everything :)
Start Weight (from beginning): 71
Current Weight: 63.00
Weight lost so far: 8.00
Goal Weight: 55.00

8 kilos left.
Zero

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:05 pm

hey gracie

sorry to hear you are so down on yourself at the moment and sandra is right, tackle one kilo at a time. im sure lots of people here will give you advice and you know we are a supportive bunch who are with you all the way- whether it takes you a year or two.

i know the way i look at the weight i have to lose is this: do i want to continue the way i was going and get more heavier and more embarrassed, shy, self conscious, and could end up leaving my daughter without a mother earlier than i could ever imagine. if i do something about my weight now, and stay motivated and tackle it there are sooo many more upsides. not overweight/obese person wants to be the way they are healthwise and visually. but it is up to that person to do something about it today! not tomorrow or the next day. it is hard and if it was easy there wouldnt be soo many people in this world with weight problems. but take heart knowing that we are here and understand you gracie. you can do this for you and you will be around for your son a lot longer.

keep smiling when you have down times mate, we all have off days but the most important thing is that we get back on the wagon the following day and soldier on. xoxox
kate_turner2000

Postby shokoden » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:30 pm

Hi there gracie i too have about 40kgs to lose. I am breaking mine down into 5kg chunks everyday when i am exercising i think to myself another day closer to the 5 kilo mark to keep me motivated and if i feel like a binge i think don't do it and undo all the hard work you have put in this week. When i binge i really binge so instead of going on a diet i am making a lifestyle change and plan. I too am sick of feeling miserable and trapped by my weight only last week the current ww leader saw me in the video shop and said 'Oh i didn't realise you were having another one" (child) I said im not im just fat and she said well it looks like time for you to come back to ww. What makes people say these things especially when they have struggled with there weight also. Anyway i am in this for me because i want to feel better about myself and i want my kids to be proud to have me for there mother. I also know what you are saying about clothes i always layby clothes thinking oh i will get into that or i will lose weight before i pick it up but never do.
shokoden

Postby Ses » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:35 pm

instead of a kg at a time, you could aim at reducing your wt by 1%, and then 1%, and then 1%......It is better to set small goals, and reach them, then try to do the whole lot at once.

I think most users of this forum can appreciate how you feel, wether they need to lose 1kg or 100.

Hope you cheer up soon! :lol:
Ses

Postby Ally » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:41 pm

Hey Gracie...I hear you darl!! It can be disheartening at times, but it sure pays to keep at it and break it down into smaller goals....I was always phased by the big picture (I had 105kg to lose all up) but I started out by aiming to reduce my weight by 10% each time...this is certainly more achievable than thinking of that one big number...when I first started out I had 105kg to lose, so far I have lost 13kg, that already brings it down to 92kg....now I have set it in 10% goals, by the time I have lost this 16.5kg on my ticker it will bring it down to 75.5kg to go.....it certainly does some amazing things to your self esteem when you look at it that way!! Keep going Gracie and you will get to where you want to be!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby vanessa0305 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:49 pm

I did it by focusing on the nice numbers...1st was double digits, I wanted to be in double digits. Then it was under 95kgs and then under 90. Then there was 85..Wow how fantastic is 85 and then under 80...into the 70's...Then down to 75...wowee that was great! And Then the smaller ones. Next was down to 72kgs, now I am focusing on under 71 and into 70, then will be under 70!

Each time I made it to one of my small goals I rewarded myself. Some times it's clothes, once it was a cheap watch (because my wrist was always too fat to wear one!) another was getting my rings resized.....anything but food!

My teeth are my big reward when I reach goal, I snapped my front tooth when pregnant with my last baby, but couldn't afford to get it fixed, when I hit my goal weight I am getting all my teeth fixed!!

Always remember a slip up is just that and not a catastrophe!! Just pick yourself up and keep going...2 steps forward and 1 step back still gets you there in the end!
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby sassi » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:46 am

it definitely does seem overwhelming sometimes & does make me think "why bother". and then i also waste energy being angry and upset with myself for having been well on my way in the journey only to let myself eat & drink the weight back - with a bit of interest.

but i'm slowly coming to the realisation that i am only sabotaging my efforts by listening to those nasty thoughts and that i need to take things one week at a time - and to do like others have suggested and focus on smaller, shorter term goals. there's nothing like a win (however small) to keep me motivated. at first though i made the mistake of setting out smaller goals and then putting dates to them. this hasn't worked because i've had things like being sick or a week where i didn't lose as much as i expected which throws all the dates out and i've had to start again. now i have an idea of when i'd like to reach my goal weight, but am thinking of the smaller goals without any real set timeline.

something that has also motivated me in the past is that when i lose a kilo, i'd look at something (like a can or cans) that weighed a kilo - that's a fair bit of weight in itself. then if you've lost 5kg - pick up a 5kg bag of potatoes or something - they're bloody heavy! and this is coming off your body! it kinda makes me realise why it does take a while :)

sorry for rambling!
sassi

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:40 am

Thanks so much everyone :) You have all made really good points :) I am going to change my ticker, just put it 5kgs down, and concentrate on that.....ur right, it seems WAY less impossible to losw 5kgs rather than 40....thanks everyone :) I feel a bit better today, and Ive decided to take connor for a walk to the park, then treat myself to a new top to make myself feel a bit better in the meantine (we have a discount clothing store around here, so Ill see what I can find) Thanks again :) xxxx
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:48 am

good on you gracie. im glad you feel better about things mate. one day at a time mate.
kate_turner2000

Postby shokoden » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:14 pm

You can do it Gracie One day at a time. It was so hard for me to make it through one day with out a binge before but now i have gone for a week with out one yay, feeling better for it too
shokoden

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:49 pm

Thanks everyone :D :D :D
Playboy_bunny

Postby KimE » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:31 pm

Gracie, the forum members have rallied around and given you some fantastic advice and it is good to see you are going with the smaller goals which will help you to feel less overwhelmed.

You are sounding much more positive and I hope you did get yourself that top as a nice treat.

:D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby shelbel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:31 pm

Kim is right Grace, i noticed to your post from the last few days seem so much more positive! Good for you!

:lol:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk