It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Free Newsletter

Summer or Winter ?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Summer or Winter ?

Postby ISparkyI » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:17 pm

Being new to the whole weight loss journey I was wondering if anyone finds it easier during Summer or Winter ?

Be interesting to find out who prefers which season . .

I thought Winter would be the hardest as we are usually not going out as much and eating more hot foods.

If that is the case, many of you are having some great results in the weight loss and should be even more impressed with yourselves.

Nothing Ventured . . Nothing Gained . . .

Postby sassi » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:24 pm

for me, both have their dangers! winter is probably tougher because i go and watch sport each weekend - which throws out eating patterns (and offers many tempting high fat/cal foods) and where i am likely to drink. i also find myself hungrier in the cold weather.

but summer is when i put all my weight back on - i used christmas and my holidays around christmas last year as an excuse to eat myself silly and the bad habits just continued on in the months after.

i'm more likely to exercise in winter though - i go really red when i exercise & in summer i feel really self-conscious (silly, i know) and i have always played a winter team sport so it's kind of habit.

all that typing & no real answer to the question :oops:

i'll just say it's as easy or as hard as i choose to make it, no matter what the season

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:39 pm

yeah its hard all year round i reckon! i am finding it hard this winter though. the weather is depressing me! i think at least in summer for me i like to eat more fruits and salads than in winter.

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:42 pm

Kate's right, its hard all year round! :lol: But I personally think winter is a lot summer, its hot so you naturally drink more water...winter I find it much harder to drink it...salads are permanently on the menu in summer, but winter is more hearty warming foods :) and of course its so damn cold and raining, so its easier to put off going for that walk because its 'too cold' 'too wet' 'too dark' etc...thats what I find at least! :D

Postby milkyway » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:18 pm

I find it a lot harder in winter because I am really adverse to the cold and would prefer to stay rugged up and warm and home than to go outside and exercise and be cold until I get warmed up. Brrr!

I don't mind exercising in the heat, as long as it isn't humid.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Fantastic Quote!

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:32 pm

Hey :D
Im just here for a sec to post an awesome quote I just heard, how great is this?-
'Set backs are only a set up for your comeback'...i thought that was fantastic...a really great way to look at things...i know that will be my thinking from now on...this is my comeback!! :D (insert Gracie doing beyonce style booty dance here) :lol: hehehe

Postby Ally » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:46 pm

awesome quote Gracie!!

I agree, I think they both have there dangers.....winter you tend to head for comforting hot food and summer is more the ice creams etc!!

I always did the same as you sassi...would use Christmas as an excuse to just keep eating.....

All in all though I feel that summer is harder for me personally as when it is so hot up here, the last thing you feel like doing is exercising!!

Postby KimE » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:20 pm

Winter I find hardest from the food intake point of view as I want plenty of warm soups with loads of bread, beef stews, pies etc. The exercise isn't a problem, I love it and have warm gear for when it gets colder, even wore my thermal gloves for last Friday's walk.

Summer I find harder for the exercise as I can make up excuses when it is just too hot. This only affects me for any exercise I do at home as the gym is so close to work I'm not going to freeze or wilt before getting there.

They both have their pluses and minuses, best thing is to put it aside and get on with it. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby carls » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:44 pm

summer is the motivation!

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:10 pm

Hrmm I think they're both hard, because in Winter you want more food, comfort food like hot chocolate and puddings, but it's easy to make low cal soups, stews, pastas etc etc. And it's hard to motivate to exercise because you don't want to leave your nice warm house.
But in Summer you want things like ice cream but you feel more like salads which are virtually no-cal depending what you put on them. And it's hard to motivate for exercise if it's too hot as well!
So it's definitely hard all year round!!!

Postby SarahC » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:35 pm

What a great quote Gracie - I like it :wink:

I think I'll put my vote in for summer being the easiest. The days are longer meaning there is more opportunity to excercise. There is light in the morning before work and there's still more light after work, until like 8 or 9pm. Plus it's not possible to put on a big giant coat or baggy tracksuit and hide!! And the sun comes out occasionally as well....

How long until summer again??

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:36 pm

4 and bit months away :?

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:44 pm

i am def a summer girl here it is to cold to walk and its uauslly grey so u dont get much sun and really dont feel like heading to the gym . Winter is usually where i do most of my crafty stuff ( if not doing assignments so i am more prone to sitting on my backside in frount of the fire
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby milo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:44 pm

I always thought Winter, but I am having a hard time. All the hot food around me tempts me to much. At least with summer you look forward to eating a nice cold salad and stuff like that.

And its great to excerise if you have air con
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:23 am

Summer is the best by far. The warmer weather makes exercising so much more enjoyable, with winter leading to a lot more cramping up. However, being overweight in summer is somewhat undesirable. It feels as if I’m suffocating. Winter leaves some (me) with a sense of security that there won’t be as many spectators, especially if you’re out to lose a couple of tires in public. I guess both seasons have the pros & cons…Me; I can’t wait till warm up a lot quicker in summer…Hopefully my skin will breathe a lot easier this time round, from my winter effort.
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............

Return to Weight loss Talk