It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Free Newsletter

I'm going to be a guineapig!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm going to be a guineapig!

Postby MissE » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:39 pm

I've been chosen to participate in a year long CSIRO study into the effectiveness of metaformin for weight loss!

here is the outline of the study:

This study will run for 1 year, which consists of Phase 1 (12 week) and Phase 2 (36 weeks). At the commencement of Phase 1, you will be randomly allocated to one of three intervention groups. The groups are:
1. Metformin and lifestyle advice
2. Placebo and lifestyle advice
3. Internet-based Lifestyle Modification (TWD)

Participants in groups 1 and 2 will be asked to take one tablet per day for the first week, two tablets a day for the 2nd week, and three tablets a day from the 3rd week until the end of 12 weeks. Each tablet will contain either a 500mg dose of the commonly prescribed insulin-sensitising drug, metformin (Diabex XR), or a placebo. You will also be given advice to help you manage your diet and exercise. You will receive online newsletter every fortnight to support you in this study. We will also ask you to keep a diet checklist and physical activity diary on certain days. These will be provided for you. Neither you, nor the Clinic staff, will know which group you have been allocated to until the end of the study.

Participants in the TWD group will participate in a lifestyle program with an energy-reduced diet and a physical activity plan. You will be prescribed with a nutritionally balanced, reduced energy weight loss diet for 12 weeks of about 6000 KJ (2/3 of normal intake) plus exercise program. The exercise program consists of activities including walking, jogging, and strength training exercise for 60 to 90 minutes a day for five times a week. We anticipate that you may lose 0.5kg a week on this program. If you are allocated to this group, we will ask you to keep daily lifestyle checklists for the full 12 weeks. Weighing or measuring
amounts of foods will be necessary for the checklist.

In Phase 2, all participants (from Group 1, 2 and 3) will participate in a lifestyle program described for TWD. You will receive monthly support through the internet. Peer support is encouraged throughout Phase 2 via interactions between participants. During this period, we will ask you to keep daily diet checklists and physical activity diaries for the entire period of Phase 2. Weighing or measuring amounts of foods will be necessary for the checklist.

I figure its great inspiration to stick with it!
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:44 pm

good luck with it MissE. i was prescribed metformin for my pcos and it made me ill. i had the runs for 2 months. keep us updated with how you go :)
kate_turner2000

Postby dietcoke » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:35 pm

How exciting and what a great motivation! Knowing that people are counting on you for your weight loss input is bound to keep you charging towards your weight loss goals.
dietcoke

Postby chubbywife79 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:02 pm

Good luck with it!
chubbywife79

Postby grugwashere » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:09 pm

sounds exciting!!! should be great

just remember you dont have to keep doing it if it makes u unhappy, or uncomfortable etc.. and you dont have to give them an explaination for pulling out! (lol im big on rights when it comes to this sort fo thing)
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Return to Weight loss Talk