It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:10 am

Free Newsletter

"Flubber"

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

"Flubber"

Postby jeshka » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Hey guys, wasn't quite sure where to post this topic, but hopefully it's in the right place!!

Anyway, in the past couple of weeks I've been shedding a bit of weight, my clothes are becoming looser on me, I can notice the loss - only I feel more 'jiggly'. It's mainly my legs and...ahem... backside that seem this way - they're noticeably more dimply. I had cellulite before but it appears to have gotten worse. I've been affectionately naming it 'Flubber'... silly, I know, but it's loose and wobbly so I guess that makes sense. Is this one of those 'all of a sudden when you lose weight, this happens' kinda things? I thought perhaps because the fat under the skin isn't so dense now, maybe that's causing the 'hail damage' kind of look? Will it gradually go away if I continue to eat right and exercise? Is there anything in particular that targets this kind of thing and speeds up the process of eliminating it? It's great that I'm looking better in my clothes, and it's better to have the weight off for my health, but I'm finding that I cringe at myself when I look at my legs/butt in the mirror now :(

Apologies for the mental pictures. Hahaha
jeshka

Postby Ally » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:19 pm

oh don't apologise for the mental images jeshka.... :lol: :lol:

There is a lot of debate about whether exercise is enough or if surgery will have to be involved. I read one of the popular slimming mags and a lot of the success stories in there have women who have just exercised and it has gradually toned up and others who feel they can't wait and opt for surgery.......

as for specific exercises again have a look in some of the slimming mags as they often have exercises for toning and strengthening different areas of the body.....I am sure too that some of the other peoples here would be able to give you a guide.... :wink:

ooh and last but not least...congrats on the weight loss!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby jeshka » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:23 pm

thanks for the advice :)

i don't think surgery would be necessary, i don't have quite that much weight to lose, so i don't think i'm gonna have masses of loose skin or anything, but i'm just really hoping exercise, good food and plenty of water will be enough to tone it up. we have heaps of stairs at our new place and i'm up and down them a thousand times a day, and i would think that would help, but i'm just not sure... i don't have great circulation either, but i don't know if that's a contributing factor either... i suppose it's just a matter of continuing what i'm doing now, checking out some of the specific exercises from those magazines, and seeing how i go!!

Jess
jeshka

Postby Ally » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:26 pm

oh for sure the stairs would be a great thigh and botty toner!! I know just from walking (not upstairs or hilly areas) that my legs and bottom are not so jelly-fied and are quite firm so all those stairs will do the trick!...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:12 pm

oooh i read something the other day about tips for cellulite- i will post them within the next day for you :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:37 pm

hmmm Im not too sure...but Im kind a hoping the same as you gentle exercise, good food and water will do the trick! If not then Ill have a saggy bum, cos there's no way I can afford surgery! lol :D
My sister uses an anti cellulite cream and a roller ball thingy....she says it helps??? As far as loose skin, i dont think there is too much to be done unfortunately! :( Its great that u r noticing a difference in yourself though :D xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:12 pm

hehe i love how bridget jones scrubs hers with that brush thing hehe
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:22 pm

hahaha yeah....see there's another solution, wear 'giant pants' hehe
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Jisgone » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:54 pm

i read an article on this recently, cant remember where tho :(
basically it said cellulite is fat so the only way to lose it is through diet and excercise , if there was a magic cream that dissolved cellulite i think we would be using it all over our bodies!
you seem to have the right idea with excercise, a good diet and lots and lots of water :)
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:55 pm

according to take 5 magazine this week

5 tips to keep away cellulite

1. drink up- start each day with a cup of hot water and fresh lemon juice and drink lots of water

2. veg out- fill up on vegies and salads with low fat dressing

3. spice it up- add flavour to your meals with herbs and spices such as black pepper, mint chilli or garlic

4. eat fresh- eat wholegrain cereals, breads, pastas, rice. avoid processed and refined foods

5. keep on running- its one of the best forms of exercise for toning and firming your legs
kate_turner2000

Postby dietcoke » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:57 pm

Oh God if we knew how to get rid of cellulite the world would be a better place.

Loose skin is something I think you just kind of have to deal with. I was a heavier teen and I know my skin has next to no elasticity now and my body looks 30yrs older than I am.

Tyra Banks uses coffee grounds for cellulite and dry brushing is supposed to work (makes your skin smooth as a baby's bum if nothing else).

I've heard that your skin shrinks a little after you lose the weight but unfortunately mine hasn't much. Still I'd rather be this size and cover up my boobs and bum than 20kilos heavier with tight skin. There's positives and negatives to everything and I think your weight loss DEFINITELY outweighs your dimply bum.
dietcoke

Postby molligrub » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:19 am

I know from experience that it is possible to lose the majority of your cellulite - when I was in uni I was at the very highest end of my healthy weight range (around 65kg) and had a REALLY high body fat percentage (and cellulite like you would not believe from not exercising at all for about 4 years shock horror), then I lost heaps of weight (ended up losing too much) but before I became underweight I actually had a really good figure, from eating well, drinking well and exercising. It took forever, but most of the cellulite did disappear. And then I went overboard and turned myself into a stick, then binged until all the cellulite came straight back on!! :oops: :shock:

Sorry for the ramble, I just wanted to say that hard work does pay off with cellulite - I don't think it's a lost cause once you have it. Now loose skin may be a different story - I'm not sure if one can really get rid of that or not.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby SarahC » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:44 am

Wow, great to know that it is possible to get rid of the cellulite with diet and excercise 8) I always thought it was one of those things that once you have it it won't go away. That's great!

I had a go of the Accent RF fat reduction treatments a while back. They basically zap your fatty bits with radiation which heats up the fat cells and supposedly kills them off. I found that it didn't make a whole lot of difference to my stubborn fat deposits... unfortunately. But it is supposed to be really great for cellulite, and loose skin in particular. The one thing I did notice was that my skin felt a lot firmer and tighter. It's expensive though, about $550 for 4 treatments, and you'd be looking at 3 or 4 months minimum :shock:

Sounds like the diet, water and excercise is the way to go!
SarahC

Postby grugwashere » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:56 am

heheh flubber is a fantastic term for it...

what about those toning body butters? i dont know if they work or not... but i suppose it would be worth a shot in conjuction to the water, good food and excercise?
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby jeshka » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:01 pm

wow, thanks for all the feedback guys - it's good that most of us can relate to it. I've tried Palmers cocoa butter, it does tend to make the skin feel a little firmer (and who cares if it doesn't, the smell alone makes it well worth buying!!), and also the Garnier firming lotion and rollerball thingy - they seem to make the skin feel firmer and softer, but i usually get too lazy and slack off from using it before i get a chance to see any other results. The main thing I've heard that apparently helps get rid of cellulite, is water. Heaps of water. And exercise of course, but the water helps a lot. So I will be putting that into practice, along with all the walking, and hopefully seeing some results. I don't think it's quite bad enough to be getting laser type surgery or anything, but if it gets worse or won't go away, then I'll keep my mind open to it.

Thanks again for all the responses, guys!! :)

Jess
jeshka

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk