It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:09 am

Free Newsletter

why do i stuff up at night

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

why do i stuff up at night

Postby Jo_21 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:02 pm

I always go so well during the day, then at night i stuff up.

I cant figure out why, i have dinner and then i need more, so i try a piece of fruit and then still want more.

And we live so close to all the takeaway places, we can just drive there.

I have yet to complete a whole day of eating properly, and im getting relly bugged by it.

I think sometimes it may be because i wm tired. So i try going to bed earlier. But can only go once Bubby is bathed, fed and asleep and i have everything done for the next day. Like bottles made, washing up done etc.

Has anyone esle had this problem and how do you fix it?

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:30 pm

hey jo

i know a lot of people personally who think that being a mum you have time here and there to eat all day long. its not the case. even though you fit food in you are on the go the whole time. i found that when heidi was younger i was eating in between doing things. for example:

make bottle- grab a bikkie
sterilise bottles- have a choc
put some washing on- have a packet of chips

etc etc.

it gets easier as the baby gets older thats for sure but then when they get to the age where theyre eating the foods you eat, its really easy to say 'one for you one for me'.

try to keep a bottle of water with you all the time. i know i dont go to bed at night unless i have drunk at least 2litres of water for the day. i also keep extra drops or chewing gum on hand. i buy take 5 magazines each week and i do the puzzles, i buy womans day on mondays and read that in a bubble bath, i get on my exercise bike when heidi is asleep or she is playing happily. i like to do scrapbooking but can only really do it when heidi is asleep and i cant keep food or drink near it so i dont eat whilst doing it.

try and find something to keep your hands busy and your mind from wandering to food.

Postby madeline » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:00 pm

Hey Jo,

I know exactly what you mean, I used to do that too... be "good" all day and then stuff myself at night. What works for me is to have dinner early before you're starving, say 5pm or 6pm and then say to yourself, I've already had dinner, now I'm going to wind down for the rest of the night until bed. If you really can't do that, could you try going to bed earlier- brushing teeth is usually the end of food for the day, so maybe you should brush your teeth after you've had your final food for the day?
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:20 am

Kate has some great suggestions there ;) It definately sounds like evening boredom! Kate has said it all really, so try some of her suggestions :D Thats a great idea to do the puzzles in Take 5...might go and pick it up today! :D

Postby SarahC » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:21 am

I'm exactly the same. I just can't seem to stuff enough into my face after dinner... no matter how big my dinner is or how full I am!

I don't have a baby. Gosh it's enough work looking after myself let alone another little person. I admire mothers!

I don't know what it is about the night time. Maybe it's boredom, but tell you what I'm more bored in the daytime than at night (well, when I'm at work anyway!! haha). More likely for me it's loneliness and anxiety that sets in at night time when I'm home alone. Mixed in with procrastination over doing my nightly chores and you have a recipe for a binge fest :shock:

Gosh that wasn't much help was it :oops:

Postby chubbywife79 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm exactically the same. I fine during the day because I'm home alone and when it night time I just want to eat. I'm slowly learning to stop though.

Postby garn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:42 pm

im a shocker for it.....
i get home at 6pm then graze through the fridge and pantry even while i am cooking dinner! I dont even need to be hungry but will use that as an excuse to have something to eat....sigh...

I know it is habit - think it started when i would come home from work after a crappy day and be tired and cranky and just look for comfort food. Sadly i seem to have developed this into a permanent habit that is most diffucult to stop.

I am just taking it day by day now and trying to recognise when i do start to do it. That way i can decide for myself if i really want it rather than it being an automatic feed my face response.

Mini Goal 100

Postby warrior » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:17 pm

hey jo,

i know what you mean, I train until late at night and then have to catch public transport home. So I try and take food with me to eat after training. But because its late, I'm cold and tired and waiting at the train station, I will end up going to the vending machine and buying chocolate. Then when I get home at 10:30ish I will just raid the fridge etc.

I'm not sure why we do it, I think maybe it is emotional, we tell ourselves we deserve it, then once we have it we feel bad and go into "all or nothing" logic and stuff ourselves.

Don't know, maybe I'm way off, but perhaps we need to stop giving ourselves the "i deserve it" excuse...?
dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.

Postby MickeyB » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:47 pm

Maybe you could set up a cut off time. I tell myself no food after 8pm. That means everything, dinner and dessert which is normally a cup of tea and some cookies. After that it's water all the way and if I am truly hungry then I have a glass of milk before bed so I don't get heartburn all night from an empty tummy LOL. whatever time suits you though, it should be no less than 2 hours before you go to bed to give the food a chance to get burnt off.

Boredom eating is a pain, I've been doing it a lot on the weekends and really there's so much that has to be done around here, but somehow I manage to talk myself out of doing it and sit and eat instead. :? You could look at what you're eating for arvo tea and dinner and try to swap things over to Low Gi, or maybe a few more carbs which keeps you fuller for longer.

If it's more of a habit that you've formed and boredom then Kate's got some fantastic suggestions up there for finding things to do. Sometimes I'll tell myself that if I',m feeling nibbly I have to sweep the house first (takes a good half an dhour) and if I'm still hungry then at least I've burnt it off before I eat it.
Waiting for baby #4 to arrive then getting stuck into losing the 25kg that needs to come off!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:31 am

brushing teeth or using a breath spray was a great help for me when trying to break craving habits. For a start, you can't eat anything cause it tastes awful :lol: That gives you the time to let the craving pass and find something else to do.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Weight loss Talk