It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:19 am

Free Newsletter

Duromine

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Duromine

Postby kangagirl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:33 am

never used duromine, but sounds like a *quick fix* solution - and we all know they never work long term, there's my 2cents worth! I can understand ppl wanting to use it to kick-start, esp if very over-weight but as long as it doesn't become "THE SOLUTION". The only way to lose weight and keep it off is EAT LESS, EAT HEALTHIER, EXERCISE MORE....boring i know
kangagirl

Postby SarahC » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Can I ask a really daft question? Well, maybe a couple...

- do you have to be overweight to get a prescription? I'm not overweight, but I'm gaining fast and it's almost impossible now for me to lose anything. Will a doctor look at me cross-eyed if I even mention it???

- it's an appetite suppressant right? So just say I was taking it, would it actually be possible for me to stuff myself stupid...

:oops:
SarahC

Postby Bronzo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi SarahC,

Yes you would probably have to be overweight to get prescribed Duromine. Any man of the street would be able to get it otherwise and use for purposes other than weight loss.
However, in saying that I had to go to 2 different doctors as the first one I went too didn't think I needed it (I weigh 80kgs and am 160cm, go figure) but the second dr I went too, took my blood pressure, weight, height etc and prescribed it to me.

I am on day 3 on 15mg and feeling ok. Not having the deepest sleeps but not waking up tired or cranky either.
Expereincing a few side effects like dry mouth, racing heart etc but it's nothing I havem't experienced before or cant handle.

I am currently taking duromine whilst being on Weight Watchers too so I am learning the healthy food choices I should be eating and exercising 6 days a week also.

In relation to 'stuffing yourself stupid', probably not. I am a big eater, the plate has to be loaded until I am stuffed, and then can usually go for dessert and sometimes seconds. I am finding eating smaller portions is more than enough for me. And like someone else who mentioned, I was a big sweet tooth fan. Had to have chocolate & ice-cream every day. Haven't even wanted to have any since I've started taking duromine.

Depending on how much you weigh, and your BMI, your dr may or may not prescribe it to you.
Bronzo

Postby Damselfly » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Hi, can I add another positive Duromine experience..I was on it about 3 years ago for 3 months. I think the 40mg and lost about 13 kg. i had no side effects other than the ones that it was supposed to give me. Reduced appetite and a seemingly increased metabolism. My doc suggested it, I had never heard of it before.

This time after another pregnancy and 2 years breastfeeding I have about 35kg to lose and I asked another doc for it, he was reluctant but gave me the 15mg which had pretty much nil effect. He then gave me the 30mg and they are still not as strong as I would like but still giving me enough of an edge to be able to start controlling my eating habits and concentrate on motivation for exercise. I have some days where I could take or leave eating at all but I still keep my cals to about 1600 a day, and some days where I am normally hungry but still am able to mentally easily keep my cals controlled. I'm hoping the break from my usual habits will help to stop the habits longer term, and I'll find it easier to stick to a normal eating pattern once I've dropped some of the weight. I normally only gain weight during pregnancy and then while I'm subsequently trying to lose the weight. I diet and gain. It's a hideous cycle and this helps stop it.

I think the key is to be aware that you have to eat, you have to maintain a normal diet and even if you don't feel like eating still eat something. Drink lots of water and exercise like you would on any other diet. Don't think it'll do all the work for you, it is just an edge to help you do what you need to be doing. And if you feel it's too strong then ask for a lesser dose. That is what your doc is for. Some obviously can't handle a 40 or 30mg dose so try a 15 mg, if might be the right one for you. I am a big person..in weight and stature..I'm a tad under 6 foot, broad and with size 12 feet. Maybe my larger size means I can handle a stronger dose better than someone smaller. I don't know.

I just get annoyed when people come on forums (not just this one) having had a bad experience with it and bad mouth it saying it's the worst thing possible to do-or saying my cousin's, uncles sister did. It doesn't work for everyone. Yes you have to be aware of what you are taking and tell your doc exactly what is going on and it may not be the way for some to lose weight but it is for others. I like it. I feel mentally normal on it and it works for me so as long as my doc will give it to me and my credit card can handle it I will continue to use it to help me get back to my old self.

Em :D
Damselfly

Postby Alexandra » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:13 am

Sarah, from my Duromine experience and discussions with my doctor, a patient would ideally fit into the medically diagnosed obese+ BMI range - unless there is some other medical reason increased weight would exacerbate (as an aside: it's also quite expensive) - I've just started on my journey (again) so I'm certainly no expert :oops: and different things work for different people but the side effects of duromine for me were too much. I don't mean to get personal and you can tell me to go to hell if you like but I am curious about your comments when you say that it is impossible now for you to lose anything and that you are gaining fast and that you are not overweight. Have you recently changed a successful formula? Are you just wanting to lose a few kilos you've recently gained or just want to stop the gain altogether and just maintain? Sorry for being nosy :roll: :D Hope your body starts playing nice again and behaves :wink: btw - no such thing as a daft question (or I'm a gona!)

Best wishes, Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby kitykat » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:24 am

"I just get annoyed when people come on forums (not just this one) having had a bad experience with it and bad mouth it saying it's the worst thing possible to do-or saying my cousin's, uncles sister did. It doesn't work for everyone. Yes you have to be aware of what you are taking and tell your doc exactly what is going on and it may not be the way for some to lose weight but it is for others. I like it. I feel mentally normal on it and it works for me so as long as my doc will give it to me and my credit card can handle it I will continue to use it to help me get back to my old self."

And just as bloody annoying when people come on forums, singing the praises of a drug known to cause major problems for some. If it works and your happy with it great! If you found it to be detrimental to your health not so great!
Both parties have the right to express their opinions.......It's called freedom of speech :roll:
kitykat

Postby SarahC » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Yeah definitely what works for one won't work for another... what I find not right is when people critisise others for doing something that works for them. That's not really nice. Or give advice or make comments when they're not asked for. Not that it's happened to me, but seen it happen to others :?

Anway.. Thanks Bronzo for your response. I'm exactly the same height as you, but I'm 54kgs (ok, so I'm not giant, but that's really quite heavy for me, my usual weight is 49-50kgs). Alexandra - no, I don't think I've done anything different really. I have been excercising a lot (I mean, a lot - between 90 and 110 mins cardio, 7 days a week for the last 12 months, plus weights and walking.). My cortisol levels are through the roof, almost double the max allowable level... so, fat gain, fatigue, overeating, depression, dizziness, etc, etc. I eat I gain fat. Excercise just maintains my weight now, because of my hormones being the way they are, it's basically near impossible now for me to lose weight. I just need to find a way to eat less, and to stop focussing on food all the time... then I could excercise less... then MAYBE the hormones could come back into line... :( I've dug myself a nice little hole here :roll:
SarahC

Postby Alexandra » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:11 pm

oh gosh, no wonder you are searching. I do understand the hormone issue's tho' as my thyroid function is broken! Just a thought, have you tried other ways to combat high cortisol levels eg mediation, relaxation therapies and other types of exercise such as yoga, pilates? might also help with the fatigue, depression, dizziness. I am a terrible emotional overeater and these are the things that I am currently doing as suggested by my dr to help with my weight loss (oh and of course my healthy eating plan and walking too, of course)... sorry if I sound too preachy, just thought I would share a few tips I've learned over the past few weeks that have really helped. My (lovely) hubby has been running a bath for me, lighting candles and playing my relaxation tapes for me each night after my walk which has really helped with my stress levels....anyhoo....really hope you feel better soon, take care,
Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby SarahC » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Thanks! Yeah the only thing I'm doing so far is relaxation and hypnosis cd's before bed. I don't have time for all the other stuff!! Other things I've thought of are big doses of vitamin C, and including some simple carbs post-workout. I'll start that up after I (maybe) go for these blood tests, as I don't want to bodgy up the results lol..
SarahC

Postby Damselfly » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:27 am

kitykat wrote:"I just get annoyed when people come on forums (not just this one) having had a bad experience with it and bad mouth it saying it's the worst thing possible to do-or saying my cousin's, uncles sister did. It doesn't work for everyone. Yes you have to be aware of what you are taking and tell your doc exactly what is going on and it may not be the way for some to lose weight but it is for others. I like it. I feel mentally normal on it and it works for me so as long as my doc will give it to me and my credit card can handle it I will continue to use it to help me get back to my old self."

And just as bloody annoying when people come on forums, singing the praises of a drug known to cause major problems for some. If it works and your happy with it great! If you found it to be detrimental to your health not so great!
Both parties have the right to express their opinions.......It's called freedom of speech :roll:

Gee you really are a happy little chicken aren't you? I just read all of your posts and all three are negative and condescending. We come here for support and other's experiences not bad attitude. Exactly what is your problem and or experience with Duromine?..personally? I really would like to know. If you had a bad time with it yourself, well I'm sorry but there is a better way to advise others on the possible problems without being mean.

Note, I think "annoyed" in my original post was inaccurate of me..I should have written frustrated.
Damselfly

Postby kitykat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:38 am

Actually, it's about freedom of speech more than it is duromine , seems your fine with giving your point of view in your way, but not fine with mine. And crikey you say my posts are condesending :roll: Re read your own patronising reply "You happy little chicken" :roll: But thats also fine with me as I understand people are all different in the way they express themselves!
I haven't personally had an experience taking the drug myself, but work in a field that deals with addictive disorders, so also find it "frustrating" when I hear people advertising their great experience with this particular drug. It doesn't work for everybody thats why it's not advertised or sold over the counter it's very dangerous for many people.It can easily be bought on the black market and is used by alot of meth addicts. Alot of young vunerable people read this site and when they read all the "success" and how duromine stripped 15...20...30..kilo's off someone in a month they think, right that's got to be for me. Yes the forum is for support and for giving opinions and experiences both good and bad, yours not being the only one. For every success their are statistically 10 failure's and have been deaths associated with duromine and it's effects. If you find that condescending and mean, it's called the truth. Actually the only thing IMHO, you find mean and condescending is that somebody had the audacity to challenge your thread :roll: Good luck with your journey, hope you "get back to your old self" successfully.
kitykat

Postby kitykat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:07 pm

One more thing I will add I was not critising Your right to add "another positive" or your right or anyone elses right to take duromine! Quite frankly I couldn't care less what you take, I don't know you. And to you and anyone else that has had a successful weight loss without side effects on duromine congratulations you are one of the lucky one's.
What I was adding was a negative response and if you found the way it was communicated offensive, well I could say I'm sorry about that, but being a tell it like it is person I would be a liar.
Try dealing with a 17 year old anorexic, convulsing and screaming in pain because she over dosed on meth because she couldn't get anymore duromine, then again you probably couldn't give a damn, long as you get your positive story out there for all to read. Is that nasty enough for you :evil:
kitykat

Postby Damselfly » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:38 pm

If you have such experience with this topic why didn't you state your case from the start in an informative and constructive manner. If you want to help then help by being honest. I don't know why you are here. You say you have not used duromine, then you're lucky, if are you here for weight loss, and looking for support using another method then good, but if you are here to make more information known on the potential danger of Duromine then why not just say so up front or be a little less confrontational.

I know Duromine is a potentially dangerous drug but so is obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes and bulimia and other eating disorders, a few of which I have been battling in the last 10 years. I take hold of it as do others as a last ditch effort to find something that works for us before other drastic measures have to be taken- bariatric surgery would be my last option . So yes maybe we are taking a risk in many ways but it's a calculated risk that needs to be made to maintain a life worth living. I don't know what an anorexic addict has to do with someone like me, I think the one you should be mad at is the ones that aided her addiction in the beginning, irresponsible doctors who prescribe it to anyone who asks for it, and at the dealers who gave it to her when no one else would.

Okay I apologise for the chicken crack, that was uncalled for. This is an emotive subject for me. This doesn't need to be so personal, we are all trying to help here. Attacking and distracting from the topic at hand isn't helpful or sensible.

Could you start a thread, and outline in a clinical way what you know and have observed what happens when Duromine goes from being a weightloss drug to an addiction, what to look out for and who should definitely not take it. Just give us an overview of what you know on the negative side of it. I would like to know, docs don't actually tell you this, and where else would we find out about it. A balanced view is good, I don't want to stick my head in the sand. I'm going to continue taking it for the near future, but not for too long.

If you don't want to then don't. No skin off my nose. :D
Damselfly

Postby kitykat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:56 pm

I am here to look at success stories, tips, and discussions concerning weight loss as I need to lose at least 40kg. A not so little chicken in any sense of the phrase. I work in a field dealing with addictive behaviours but would not be qualified to start a topic or give advice concerning taking or not taking a drug.That is entirely up to Medical profession and even then that is usually trial and error. Also remember duromine is very easy to get on the black market and those with eating disorders often buy it on the streets without presciption.

I very rarely post on any forums, but felt I needed to answer your post as you seemed to be "annoyed" at anyone with a negative view of duromine and that was initially my concern. My negative view is indeed with merit but also just my opinion due to experience with others,all negative I'm afraid. So I felt I needed to give my negative view. Sorry if you took offence but that's my nature I can be abrupt and very direct. Asking me to start a thread on the negative effects would be the same as me asking you to start a positive one and that would be pointless. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if we were all the same and had the same opinion and there was a cure for obesity that suited everybody.

I would just like to say if you have been battling these issues for the last 10 years, do you really think duromine is the answer and if high blood pressure is one of your issues should you be taking it at all. Please don't take that the wrong way but I do know that it is highly dangerous to take with high blood pressure.

I sincerely wish you well with getting fit, it's a long hard road and I am finding it very daunting so I do not take your plight lightly as I am also in the same boat. Good luck hope you find the right path.
kitykat

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk