It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:30 am

Free Newsletter

I hope this web site can help me lose weight

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I hope this web site can help me lose weight

Postby Lynda » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:39 pm

Six months ago i weighed in at 119 kg and not proud of it. I got the wake up call to lose weight when i had a stroke. I have been to Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers (these were hard due to travelling distance), Diets of all sorts, i still haven't found the one for me. I have got down to 102.8 kg but have been here for 2 months. How do i get my weight moving again. I am hoping this site will help. I live in the country and i am 190 kms to the nearest town so i am limited in what i can do (no gyms for me), fresh fruit is limited, I can only buy when i do my 3 weekly shopping, and support from friends and family is nil or just exhausted. Sorry to drag on but from what i have read on this site, i feel motivated again.

Welcome Lynda

Postby Ed » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:44 pm

Hi Lynda and welcome aboard.

Being in a remote location does throw up some unique extra weight loss challenges, but I'm sure you can overcome these with a few ideas and a little support from all your new friends on the weightloss forum.

Successful weight loss for some is easier getting help from the likes of Jenny Craig, WeightWatchers, Ultra Lite and the like, but it is possible without such help in cases such as yours.

For example, you'll find plenty of useful information in the diets section of this website regarding diet and we are adding new features all the time (such as nutritional tables which we are in the process of adding now).

You'll find the diets section at:

With regards to not having access to a gym, you can create a gym at home like I've done. Your home gym needn't be complicated or expensive to set up, all you really need is a Swiss Ball and a set of dumbells and you're in business. If you don't already have a Swiss Ball, you can even order one from the weight loss shop on this site.

For home workout ideas visit:

One thing that you've got going for you that many of us don't is wide open spaces and plenty of fresh air and sunshine to go walking, jogging, hiking and bicycling in.

Sometimes instead of concentrating on what we don't have, it is better to focus on what we do and simply use them to the best of our ability.

While exercising with others can be more fun and motivating, if you don't have anyone to exercise with because of your remoteness, simply join in on the exercise forum discussions and you can "share" your daily exercise with others (simply knowing someone else is going to be exercising today - even if it is in another location - can be very motivating, as can posting a note on the forum afterwards and receiving the encouragement from your cyberfriends for doing so.

Why not ask the forum members if there is anyone else who has similar remoteness issues and ask how they are or have overcome them - we are all here to help you in whatever way we can.

Good luck with your weight loss Lynda, I know you can do it despite your additional obstacles.

I look forward to reading all about how you've overcome them and succeeded - in fact, I look forward to you teaching us all how to overcome such obstacles.

Speak to you again soon.

Ed. :D

Postby Lynda » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:03 pm

Thanks Ed for the great motivation. I really feel great after reading your message. That is something i find hard to get here at home. I don't have a Swiss Ball but shall read up on it. I do have a Total Trainer and dumb bells that are collecting dust. The motivation is the hardest thing to keep up. Again thanks for your motivational message.

Welcome Lynda

Postby Lesley » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:20 pm

Hi Lynda, welcome aboard. You will get the support you need and you will succeed!
Although I live in a country city, so have access to gyms, swimming, etc, due to chronic daily pain I don't get out much. Like you I lack motivation. After reading so much on this forum and in the exercise articles I've started walking again. At the end of last year I was flat out doing 15 minutes of walking, now I'm up to 30 minutes - all due to the motivation I got from reading here and other sites.

If I can do it with my problems I'm sure that you can.

Good luck.

Cheers Lesley

Life is all about choice. Good choices lead to a great life!

Postby PaulaR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi Lynda, I'm not too far away from where you started - 113kg and the fact that you've been able to reduce your weight to 102kg is fantastic motivation for me, thank you.

I find it hard to stay motivated as well but just reading the many wonderful inspirations and support messages that are posted on this site (I only found it yesterday!!) has been great in helping me to find focus and support.

I live in the suburbs so have access to a gym but an alternative may be to look at the different fitness video's that are available. There are many on the market covering all aspects of fitness from aerobics to yoga and pilates. You can get them at places like K-mart and Target.

Return to Weight loss Talk