It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:27 am

Free Newsletter

Is there such a thing as slow metabolism???

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is there such a thing as slow metabolism???

Postby Groovychic » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:55 pm

Well I have been having a look around on the net to see if there is actually a thing such as a slow metabolism. From indications on the net there seems that it is all a load of crappola BUT, you ask people who do have a lot of trouble losing weight and they say it's true. I have been trying to lose weight for about the last 3 or 4 years but in earnest for the last 6 months. I exercise most mornings for a minimum of 40 mins. And it's not just slow walking. I either walk with some jogging sections, brisk walk if I am feeling lazy, or power walk with arm weights. Then come home and do sit ups. I am around 13 or 14 kgs overweight. I've been to doctors, with intention of getting a magic pill but they say no you're not overweight. Well I am overweight. Yes, not hugely but I am uncomfortable in my clothes and it seems the more I try the more weight I put on. Not so much the scales telling me but my clothes continue to get tighter. I don't eat a bad diet. I eat my 5 and 2 each day but will occassionaly binge. Specially when there are choccies in the house!!!! So if anyone has any great ideas i would be over the moon to hear from you. Have a great day all.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:46 pm

Hi Groovychic

I have developed a conditon called hypothyroidiam that definately slows down the metabolism and eating a mere 1000 calories per day will put heaps of weight on me. If I eat 800 calories I can lose a little weight but it is a real battle (even with the synthetic thyroid medication the doctors have given me) eating only 800 cals per day makes me lose hair, have muscle and joint aches, calcium doesn't seem to reach my teeth and I faint from a lack of iron even though I consume lots of spinach and daily iron tablets.

There is such a thing as slow metabolism. But it is uncommon. Most overweight individuals are not overweight because of a slower than average metabolism but because they eat too many calories and don't get enough exercise.

Metabolism is the complex biochemical process by which the food you eat is converted into the energy your body needs to function. Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of calories you burn at rest.

Your body composition is one of the primary factors that determine BMR. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn. This is why men — who typically have more lean muscle than women do — tend to lose weight faster and gain it more slowly. It's also why experts recommend strength training to build muscle mass.

BMR is also affected by how much you exercise. All physical activity, not just strenuous activity, increases the number of calories you burn.

Only a small number of people burn fewer calories at rest than they should, according to estimates based on their height, weight and age. Because people who weigh more have more muscle as well as fat, overweight people usually have an increased metabolic rate, contrary to popular belief.

Your metabolism slows somewhat with age. So you may need to decrease your calorie intake or increase your physical activity accordingly. Also, some medical conditions — such as hypothyroidism and Cushing's syndrome — can decrease BMR or alter your muscle-to-fat ratio. A doctor can test for these conditions.

A funny but accurate 3 page letter was sent to Dr Phil McGraw when he foolishly once said on the Oprah show that Hypothyroids can lose weight they just have to work a LITTLE harder. click here - http://thyroid.about.com/cs/personalpag ... l.htm?nl=1
Last edited by Dolly on Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:39 pm

As always, Dolly to the rescue with fantastic info.....just had to have my two cents too.

Aparently, in Australia, our soils are lower in Iodine than many other places, consequently, our crops are also low in it. Iodine is apparently required for your thyroid to operate at peak efficiency, and your thyroid contributes to your metabolic rate.

I've taken to supplementing my iodine in the form of kelp powder (you can also get it in tablets which I reccommend if you're going to follow suit). I don't know if any of the above info is actually true - it's just what i gleaned from a variety of sources - but I could swear the kelp is helping me boost my metabolism just a bit and just give my weight loss that bit more of a nudge.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:36 am

Yes Tegan you are right, many countries in the world now have iodine deficincy which can spark the thyroid hormone into not functioning.
Also if you have undetected ovarian cysts (which was my problem) also some people get hereditary hypothyroidism.
I also take kelp vitamin tablets even though the doctor told me not to as it interferes with the thyroid meds which means they might have to lower my dosage as the thyroxine contains synthetic iodine. But you are right, anyone taking kelp tablets or powder can increase their metabolism.
Dolly

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks for all that info! I was tending to think about the ovarian cyst thing a bit more. I do get cysts and they cause excrutiating pain.....worse than child birth for sure. But after a number of ultra sounds the doctors decided that I didnt have polycystic ovaries. So that ruled that one out. Have had my thyroid checked and it is within normal range etc etc. Hence the doctors tell me that nothing is wrong with me. I might try the kelp tablets tho. I don't want to take any actual tablets to induce weight loss. Tried it for a week and felt very unwell the whole time. And as I don't eat a whole lot I dont think I need to supress my appetite. So hence I am going to keep on trying. One thing is for sure, with all the exercise I do my heart is extremely healthy!!! So not likely to have a heart attack!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:33 pm

Kelp vitamins from the healthfood store are just seaweed so no ill effect will happen to you when you get your iodine this way. Also seafood and fish are a good source of iodine, which will all boost your metabolism.
Dolly

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:39 pm

OOOOO fish.....we eat a lot of fish because my partner loves to go fishing!!!! It's not oily fish tho. I only eat Dhufish, pink and red snapper, queeny's etc. I don't like herring or anything like that. And it is always lightly pan fried. We are off to Jurien Bay next month for a fishing trip so hoping to fill the freezer again as it is looking a little low because the weather has been pretty cruddy down here for fishing, much to his disgust! He bought a new sounder for his boat and is itching to try it out. The bugger wrapped it up and gave it to me for christmas!!! He reckons he never knows what to buy me so may as well give me something he can use! My mother was most disgusted with him, much to his amusement!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Fairie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:48 pm

Groovychic wrote:OOOOO fish.....we eat a lot of fish because my partner loves to go fishing!!!! It's not oily fish tho. I only eat Dhufish, pink and red snapper, queeny's etc. I don't like herring or anything like that. And it is always lightly pan fried. We are off to Jurien Bay next month for a fishing trip so hoping to fill the freezer again as it is looking a little low because the weather has been pretty cruddy down here for fishing, much to his disgust! He bought a new sounder for his boat and is itching to try it out. The bugger wrapped it up and gave it to me for christmas!!! He reckons he never knows what to buy me so may as well give me something he can use! My mother was most disgusted with him, much to his amusement!

My husband is also a fisherman Groovychick and this sounds sooo familiar. :lol:
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:13 pm

mmmm ok ? for u . Cause i am allrgic to seafood where would i get the iodine from do i need like a herb or something to compensate
Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Dolly » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:36 pm

When iodine cannot be found in our plant food you can still get it from multivitamin tablets, kelp vitamin tablets and iodised table salt and milk.

click here - http://www.vegsoc.org/info/vitmineral.html
Dolly

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:30 pm

Thanks heaps Dolly

Cheers Jules

[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Wondering

Postby Lesley » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:04 pm

Whilst on the topic of iodine, I was wondering - If I'm allergic to iodine, would this be slowing down my metabloism? I can't eat anything with a lot of iodine in it. I get really sick as soon as it hits my stomach. So iodine supps are out.

I feel, from lots of reading, that the way to increase your metabolism is to exercise, incorporating muscle building exercises 3 times a week and make sure you eat 5 - 6 small meals (200-300 calories)a day, every 3 hours. The body has to work to digest food and this speeds up the metabolism. So if you skip meals or let 5 or more hours lapse between meals your metabolism slows down.

Lesley
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Life is all about choice. Good choices lead to a great life!
Lesley

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:08 pm

You are 100% correct - exercise is one helluva way to increase your metabolism, however low iodine can contribute to an inefficient thyroid which can impair your metabolism. If you are allergic to it, by no means go out of your way to take it, what you are doing is enough.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Thanks

Postby Lesley » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:12 pm

Thank you butterfly-Dawn for that. At least I know I'm on the right track.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Life is all about choice. Good choices lead to a great life!
Lesley

Return to Weight loss Talk