It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Pregnant

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Pregnant

Postby Monica » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:16 am

Hi!

I am seeing a dietitian and trying to get a grip on my eating habits... It was going well until my morning sickness hit me. That's right - I didn't realise that I was pregnant... but I am currently 8 weeks. I have SEVERE morning sickness. this is how I put on my weight last time :(
I am putting on weight again. Any tips for eating well with morning sickness???
Monica

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:26 am

wow congrats monica- liz on this forum is also pregnant and i think she is also in her 1st timester. congratulations! sorry to hear that you arent feeling very well :( try and walk as much as you can as this will keep you supple, and maybe do some yoga. try eating ginger to help with the sickness. i had sever heartburn whilst pregnant from about 16 weeks til the day i had heidi. theres nothign worse than feeling under the weather. think of your body as a temple more now than ever! keep tabs of what you are actually eating and dont use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever you want or 'eat for two'. best wishes and please keep in touch.

p.s. hope its born on my birthday hehe
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:39 am

having never been there I can only offer what I know "intellectually". I have heard/read that eating small meals more frequently helps (eg, 1/4 serves, but 5 meals per day or something) and that eating a dry cracker before you even get out of bed can help.

Ginger would be good too as kate said.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:04 am

Kate has hit the nail on the head there ;)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby bluebox451 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Congrats! Yes, I'm at the end of my first trimester now and luckily I havent actually thrown up but I have been feeling very ill ALL the time. Just a weird unwell feeling that I cant explain. And its true that if you just keep grazing on healthy foods throughout the day that u feel less queasy. WIth my first pregnancy I was throwing up all the time (it didnt help that I worked in a food shop and all the smells made it worse). Because I was really big back then I think I only put on about 10 kilos throughout the pregnancy which was good. I heard that the bigger you are the less likely you are to put on a large amount of weight. But now I'm scared coz ever since I lost the weight I'm worrying that I'll put on heaps :o And I'll confess that I've been eating a lot of crap lately to satisfy my cravings including chocolate and icecream. SOmebody tell me off!

ANyway, I'm rambling. Back to you... Um, just remember that this is the most important time to eat well for the developing foetus so make sure you consume all the right foods and that you're getting enough folate and iron and other goodies. I wouldnt worry if you eat a few treats here and there but try to keep it under control (I can talk). A good idea would be not to keep certain foods in the house because once that uncontrollable urge hits u, nothing can stop you from raiding the fridge or cupboard! I've been snacking on yoghurt, crackers, carrot sticks, fruit, raisin toast and a bit of not so healthy food too but I try to keep the ratio of good to bad food down to about 5 : 1. In other words, 5 healthy meals/snacks and 1 treat a day. Its interesting that your calorie needs during pregnancy only increase by about 200-300 calories a day so its really not that much.

If you get regular exercise then this will help u not to put on excess weight but being fit will also help in the recovery process after giving birth so u can get back into it ASAP. Walking with a pram is fantastic exercise! ALso, dont forget to work on your core strength and if you're a gym junkie you can still use light weights and exercise regularly as long as your heart rate stays below 140 and you dont overdo it. You're also more likely to suffer injuries such as sprains and strains because of the hormone relaxin so dont go doing anything vigorous!

Hope that helps. Keep us updated on your progress too!

Liz :D :D
bluebox451

Postby Monica » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:30 pm

thank you guys so much for your input. I actually bought some crystalised ginger a few weeks ago and it worked like magic but now I can't stand the thought of it! I am going to move onto ginger tea as soon as i get myself a teapot.

I like the idea of the 5:1 ratio - mine is at 2:5 or 3:5 somedays. Chips just go down sooo nicely. I am trying desperately to keep it to small meals. If I eat too much in one sitting i feel really sick - like vomiting for the rest of the day.

Liz - you are the guru of gyms - I am sure you won't put on too much weight. Even if you do - you own't have a problem getting it off.

On the days I do go to the gym - my appetite increases by HEAPS.. it's not fair. Boo Hoo me :lol:
Monica

Postby Chelle » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:17 pm

Congratulation how exciting for you!!! For morning sickness take nature's own - Vitamin B6 it help's with sytom's of morning sickness, nausea & vomiting also can help with mild fluid retention, PMS & abdomial bloating.
Chelle

Postby BrokenAngel » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:08 pm

Congrats on ur pregnancy!!!

Oh I am so clucky and I only had my 3rd baby 9 weeks ago.

I was really sick with my last pregnancy, right from 2 days before I found out I was pregnant(I found out when I was 4 weeks, we were TTC), until about 5 months. So I know how u feel, but I hope you aren't sick for as long as I was!!!

I could barely keep a thing down, but my doc said it was ok because even if u can't keep food down, bub still gets what they need from you. Just remember to keep taking ur vitamins, etc. Not alot helped me, but I tried to eat as healthy as possible(plus it doesn't taste as gross as junk food does when u throw it up! lol). It's ok to give into ur cravings sometimes, just don't pig out!!

As for exercise I walked 30 mins a day, it as all I could manage(if that when I was sick).

In total, I gained 12kg, 4.125kg of that was baby! He was big and healthy and just perfect even though I couldn't eat much! :)
BrokenAngel

Postby bluebox451 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:36 pm

4.125kg! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o
How on earth did u squeeze that out????
I love big babies they are so cute. You just wanna squeeze em (but not too hard :wink: )
bluebox451

Postby emma21 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:40 pm

Along with the dry cracker thing before you get out of bed, I got told to suck on a lolly before I got out of bed. (Dont actually know if this does anything because I didnt try it when I was pregnant/had morning sickness)

Like others have said, keep a tab on what you are eating and some gentle exercise when you feel you are up to it. Take some pregnancy supplements too.

Morning sickness sucks! If you are lucky you wont have it for very long - my first pregnancy I had it the whole time :(

Good luck :D
emma21

Postby Chelle » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:43 pm

I had a bigger baby not to scare anyone, braydon my second child was 11pound 7 which is 5.180Kg 57.5cm long natural delivery, 40 min labour lucky I was at the hospital at the time getting a checkup, no stiches (only because I think it was because did that perinimal massage ) I almost died & braydon alost died they was slamming on my stomach to get him out his shoulder was stuck behind my pelvic bone & braydon went into cardiac arrest after the delivery & I had 15 doctors & nurses rush into the room. He looked like a rolly dog he was that buises in the face & did not go down for 3 week's

I looked at the difference when I was home from the hospital between when Josh & Braydon was born & josh was 3 months old. So really I gave birth to a 3month old.
Chelle

Postby Ally » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:14 am

Congratulations on your pregnancy Monica!! Oooh a bubby, how exciting!!!

It is great that you are still working with a dietician...they will be able to help you through the pregnancy with eating healthy for both you and bub and also after too with the amount of food you will need with breastfeeding etc.....

I dont have any tips with morning sickness sorry....I was really sick with my first one and just ate when I could and drank dry ginger ale and water!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:49 pm

kate_turner2000

Postby Ses » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:30 pm

re Kates link..

OUCCHIIII!!!!
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 pm

Jeez chelle 11 lb7! God connor was only 7 10 and I thought that was bad! :shock: Man!
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk