It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Recently diagnosed as being pre-diabetic

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Recently diagnosed as being pre-diabetic

Postby Ned Ridley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:39 am

Hi,

I have recently being diagnosed as pre-diabetic and have been told by my doctor to lose 20 lbs. Never had to lose weight before so would appreciate any suggestions re: motivation. also have to learn to control blood sugar levels so am interested in dietary changes. Any resources re: healthy eating, tips, and low sugar recipes, etc. also appreciated. Thanks.

Ned
Ned Ridley
Ned Ridley

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:24 pm

Hi Ned, welcome to the forum!
This forum is full of good advice and tips!! my advice would be to stat a food and exercise diary so you can see exactly what you are currently doing and work out what you need to change.

I would say from what I know about blood sugar levels, that you would need to cut right down on highly refined carbohydrates which are easily converted into sugar like substances and are what is called high GI (Glycemic Index). In other words they're like the body's equivalent of rocket fuel, a quick fast, hot burn. This type of foods are white flours, cakes, breads (especially white bread), sugar, lollies, chocolate etc

Try focussing on low GI things - these things give your body energy over a longer period which keeps your blood sugar leveller rather than a huge great spike and then a drop off. This is this category are essentially whole grains and natural foods, low processed foods. Things like, heavy, wholemeal or grain breads (not the squooshy stuff), oats, vege, fruit, legumes (beans, lentils etc) and so on.

Basically mu advice would be to try and eat things that are as close to having been growing/running around as possible. the less processing invovled the better.

And as for getting your weight down, the diet changes will help, but exercise will doubly healp and in the process also improve your cardio-vascular fitness.

Any other specific questions, feel free to ask!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

pre-diabetes suggestions

Postby Ned Ridley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:55 pm

thanks Dawn for both the welcome and the advice. I am printing it out now to add to my healthy eating file. All the best.

Ned
Ned Ridley
Ned Ridley

Postby Ally » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:35 am

HI Ned and welcome to the forum.....I have moved your topic into the weight loss talk section as I felt it was more at home here!!

I think TEgan has pretty much covered the advice side of things, so I will again say welcome aboard!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Bevels78 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi Ned and welcome to the forum.

I have also been recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and have 5 out of 7 of the risk factors for type 2 diabetes. So I need to lose about 18kg to get into my healthy weight range.

I brought a copy of THE NEW GLUCOSE DIABETES AND PRE-DIABETES HANDBOOK BY PROF JENNIE BRAND-MILLER.

It explains both diabetes and pre-diabetes, eating a healthy balanced diet, meal planning, nutritional tables, managing diabetes and lots more. It has really helped me understand. Angus and Robertson stock it for about $35.

Good Luck. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy0M35I/]
[/url]

FRIDGE PICKERS WEAR BIGGER KNICKERS
Bevels78

Return to Weight loss Talk