It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Free Newsletter

Feeling lost and emotional eating

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Feeling lost and emotional eating

Postby taradog » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:05 pm

Ive just had my company that I work for taken over by another and have had my manager sacked and all employees have been given a new contract to sign. Needless to say it is a much worse contract and I have mangaged to gain 3 kg in a week which has effectively brought me str8 back to where I was originally. Does anyone have any tips for not letting lifes downers affect your eating?

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:18 pm

hey taradog sorry to hear about your working circumstances :( im sure a lot of the 3kg is just fluid so drink lots of water to flush your system out. maybe you can make a list of all the pro's and con's of not only weightloss but of your new working circumstances? that way you have something to focus on.

Postby ali » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:05 pm

Ive been feeling really down lately too, although your situation is a lot worse than mine. Im just upset because living alone is lonely, I have no friends, I miss my bf and uni is SO hard and stressful! So of course I turn to food as well. I ate a heap of chocolate today which just made me feel sick. I will still be under my daily cal intake but it makes me more upset that I turn to food and cant control myself.

What I have started to do to combat this eating compulsion is set up a daily timetable so all my time is filled so I can distract myself from eating. This afternoon I made a start on my essay (something I really needed to do) then I will go for a walk, do my tutorial work for tomorrow then do a pilates dvd. Its actually working. I havent thought about food because I have been so busy. I find it helps to write down what you have to do so you can stick to it and cross it off as you go.

This may not work for you but maybe just try and go for a walk to calm yourself down instead of turning to food. Thats what Im going to try and do. Afternoons are my worst so im going to stop watching tv and instead do uni work and pilates. I find I eat more infront of the tv, so if im doing this I wont be able to eat!

Hope you find something that works for you, as we are all different. And I hope things at work start getting better soon.
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG

Postby SarahC » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:57 am

Oh yes, never underestimate the value of a To Do List! It really does help you to focus on the things that need to get done. Notice that "stare into fridge" or "stuff my face with food" never appears on the list hahaha :lol:

Postby taradog » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks for your support guys I will definitely try some of your suggestions

Postby sassi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:06 pm

sorry tara, i missed this thread first time around!

i was wondering if you use calorieking at all? they have a 'university' that goes through a whole load of issues surrounding weight/overeating/using food an an emotional tool/exercise/body image etc. i've found it really useful in helping me look at some of the issues around my eating (not that i'm a poster girl for getting things right by any stretch - i go two steps forward, one back!!lol)

also, i find that if i'm feeling icky, i try and force myself to exercise - it takes my mind off wanting to eat & also gives me those lovely endorphins that make me feel so much happier! then at least if i still feel hungry or whatever, i've exercised first.

maybe another thing is to keep a diary and write down how all these things make you feel and look at what things you can control and change...and what things are totally out of your control. maybe that's a way to work through some of them without eating?

hope it all gets better soon :)

Return to Weight loss Talk