It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:02 am

Free Newsletter

I dont know HOW i can do this...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I dont know HOW i can do this...

Postby chubba momma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi there, silly really.. but im at a loss as to HOW i can go about this whole weight loss thing.. everytimme i think i am ready to take the step and make a change i last a day or so and then just slip back to non exercise and crappy eating.

I feel really silly as i "only" need to losse around 15 kg, though honestly 10 kg would be GREAT right now.. And if i could get my self into gear I KNOW i can do it, i put up motivational sayings/poems/quotes every where, i made a food log, an exercise log.. i just cant seem to get into it, you know.. i think apart of me is feeling like its easier just to be overweight, like i deserve to be like this, which is STUPID of me casue i know i can do this and that i deserve to make my body better.. i just dont know how...

Im limited to how much and what i can do, i have 2 kids and so dont have access to a gym, and whatever exercise i do do will involve having my 2 year old hanging of me in some way ..

I LOVE walking and investied in a double pram so i can walk everyday, tho that said its now been 2 days of rain.. we are thinking of getting an exercise bike (when we can afford it) hich will help...

But HOW do i stick with it, how do i get into the mind set that i deserve to do this, that i CAN Do this!?

Thanks for listening to my ramble
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby milkyway » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi there - could it be that you're trying to do a massive change all at once? That works great for some people but is not for me. When I decided I needed to lose weight, (and after similarly crashing and burning several times) I spent a month focussing on cutting out alcohol and starting to exercise more. The second month I focussed on cutting down on the sweetie treats and increasing the exercise etc.

So, would do you think it would help to focus on just one key thing at a time? For example, focus on just your excercise plan to start with and increasing your water intake, and then look at your diet in a few weeks?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby madeline » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:32 pm

Well we love you! (that's a good reason to keep going) hehe i think it's more thinking about your body as a living, breathing identity, and wanting to keep it healthy and clean with water, fruit and veg, etc, not stuffing all sorts of crap into it like maccas, lard, sugar, etc.

everyone is worth feeling healthy and good about themselves (does that make sense... hehe well you know what i'm trying to say :D )
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby chubba momma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Thanks girls.. reading that i think you're right.. i am tryign to do to much too soon.. and also wantng rewsults too soon!!

Imight take baby steps and see how i go with that!
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby BrokenAngel » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:17 pm

I know how tough it can be, but just taking baby steps will get you there! :)

I'm a mum of 3, so I can relate to trying to exercise when you have kids! We invested in a treadmill and it was so worth it! I also bought some dance fitness dvds and they are GREAT! I do them when my kids are in bed, or I get up before they do and do them.

Good luck, you will get there!
BrokenAngel

Postby Donk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:23 pm

milkyway wrote:Hi there - could it be that you're trying to do a massive change all at once? That works great for some people but is not for me. When I decided I needed to lose weight, (and after similarly crashing and burning several times) I spent a month focussing on cutting out alcohol and starting to exercise more. The second month I focussed on cutting down on the sweetie treats and increasing the exercise etc.

So, would do you think it would help to focus on just one key thing at a time? For example, focus on just your excercise plan to start with and increasing your water intake, and then look at your diet in a few weeks?

That's some great advice, I started with 30 mins of walking each day and swapping white bread for wholemeal, also lots of water. There were other things that were probably still unhealthy habits at this stage, but I still lost weight just by changing a few things.

Think of it as a change of lifestyle, not a 'diet'. Never liked that term and never once said that I was on a diet, just tried to adapt things to my life that I knew I could change, along the way you slowly change other bad habits and hopefully are on your way.
Donk

Postby dietcoke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:32 pm

Donk if you don't mind my asking, how much exercise do you do daily now? You've come so far.
dietcoke

Postby chubba momma » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:04 am

Me? i guess i dont have any back ground info here do i.. ok before i was pregnant i was 60 kgs.. i went up to around 75 kg in pregnancy (normal weight gain) and lost weight to about 70 in a weeks or so after giving birth, then i balloned to 85 almost 90 kg (i am only 154cm tall as well) in a matter of a month!!

I have walked almost every day since giving birth to Hannah. I did do some at home exercises (i brought Gilian (trianer from biggest loser ) book and did a few months worth every night of exercises from that and i couldnt budge below 80.. 80 seemed to just taughnt me!

With my second due to morning sickness i went down to 73 kgs in teh start.. towdrs teh end i was at 85 kg.. I had an emergency ceaser and lost 10 kgs in the week i was in hospital and am desperate to keep it off! I am currently around 75 to 76 kgs...

I dont do alot of exercie i walk thast about it, i dont drive (havent in 3 years) so USUALly walk atleast an hour a day.
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby Donk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:10 am

dietcoke wrote:Donk if you don't mind my asking, how much exercise do you do daily now? You've come so far.

Weather permitting during the week I'll walk about 1 1/2 hours each day.
Donk

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:30 am

hey chubba

i know that when i started out this time last year i had a light bulb moment :idea: i dont know whether you have got this yet or not. but it really helps with the right frame of mind. i thought:

bugger this i am starting to make changes TODAY not tomorrow or the next day.

i would start by saying 'no' to things id usually say yes to. id make myself drink at least two litres of wate ra day. i would not go to bed at night if i hadnt drank my water for the day. discipline plays a big part in weightloss.

it sounds like you are doing the right things with the food diaries and exercise diaries. maybe post them on here so that you are accountable for what you are eating and the amount of exercise you do.
kate_turner2000

Postby Donk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Also I think if you have a bad day or you eat a few of the wrong things, don't be hard on yourself and dread on the past, I found if I had a bad day I'd just put it behind me and think, 'well there's nothing I can do about that now, just keep focussed'.

I think if you dread too much on something bad you did yesterday your attitude turns negative and you start falling into a further slump.
Donk

Postby KimE » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Lots of great advice there for you Chubba Momma and I agree with the slow change approach.

Like Kate, I too had the lightbulb moment and things clicked for me. Focus, discipline, determination. But do remember to be kind to yourself. Weightloss is a difficult road no matter what anyone says.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby dietcoke » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:38 pm

I also find that the more people you tell about your weight loss efforts the more likely you are to stick to it. I know it can be embarrassing to talk about but when you keep it to yourself you're more likely to make excuses and allow old habits to slip back in than if you know others are aware of your circumstances.
dietcoke

Postby HeatherL » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:38 am

You've made the descision that you want to lose weight. Thats the first and biggest step I think. Its all too easy to sit back and think yep I'm overweight but i couldn't be bothered doing anything about it.

Now for the next step, and as everyone has said just one or two thing at a time. I've given up coke and switched to water or juice and simply have cut down on my portion sizes and so inbetween meal snacks. Its only been three days but I'm feeling really good about myself and know that I'm doing the right thing by my body.

To keep focused I keep thinking about how great I'm going to look on the beach this summer and just think how much healthier your kids are going to be with you seting such a good example and only eating healthy food.

You're young and have a whole life ahead of you of doing so many wonderful things with those fantastic children of yours. I'm now in my mid 40's and am only just now getting off the sidelines and doing things with my kids and I keep thinking of how many years have I missed out on because I was too fat and lazy.

Go for it girl. YOU CAN DO IT.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6iLTpk/]
HeatherL

Postby oostevens » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:59 pm

HI :)

How's it all going?

My husband and I work 8-5pm jobs and don't get home till 6pm. By that time its a bit late to go walking, and its too expensive to join a gym.

What we did, was *rent* exercise equipment.

We are doing it through 'Radio Rentals'. Its great!

We now have an exercise bike, a treadmill and a crosstrainer :) It only costs us $75 a fortnight. (I don't know if that is actually cheaper or not than a gym, but its more conveniant).

You can get one item for like 20 a week. And if its hard to get out, and too costly to buy the item outright, why not rent :)

We are on an 18mth contract :) which is awesome.

Good luck with it all :) I too am starting out on this journey of weightloss and lifestyle change. I can't wait!

Rach
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk