It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:21 am

Free Newsletter

How do you fit it all in

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you fit it all in

Postby HeatherL » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:39 pm

I've been reading through a lot of the postings on the forum and a lot of people talk about all of the exercise they do. Where do you get the time for this. By the time I get the kids off to school, get the house cleaned ( its a big house) prepare some lunch and dinner and get my 30 min walk in, its time to pick up the kids from school and then I spend the rest of the afternoon racing them around to their various sports before its time to cook dinner, fold the days washing and clean up the bathroom after the kids. Then its time for bed again. WHERE DO YOU FIND THE TIME???
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6iLTpk/]
HeatherL

Postby madeline » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:18 am

hehe I hear you, heather! apart from walking everywhere i can, i should really do more exercise... but i'm one of those people who don't think it's worth it unless it's for a good 2 hour session... or at least 1 solid hour! by the time you get ready, fill up the water bottles, put on your trainers, gym clothes, etc.... that's 15 minutes already... and when you get back you have to have a shower, wash your hair, put on a fresh new outfit, etc... and that's another 15 minutes. So by my logic, the workout has to be at least twice that- 1 hour. I guess the main point is, I'm lazy :oops:

I think a lot of these girls make time where other people watch tv, or go shopping, or read, or see friends, or surf the internet or whatever.... to go exercise. Good on them too btw, one day I'll join you girlies, I promise :wink:
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby SarahC » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:55 am

I don't have ay kids to look after, but with working full time and trying to look after myself I know exactly what you mean about having no time!

I try to get to the gym at 5:30am when it opens (ok, usually it turns out to be closer to 5:45am, but I am trying!!). That way it's out of the way and the rest of the day is free. But I do go out for a walk at lunchtime to get the blood flowing again...

I guess it depends on your priorities, if something is really important to you then you will find the time for it somehow. (On saying that though, prioritising tasks can sometimes be based on enjoyment rather than your actual priorites.... hence why I am sitting here typing rather than doing my ironing and getting ready for the gym!!! :shock: )
SarahC

Postby molligrub » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:05 am

I hear where your coming from!!

I love doing road cycling and triathlons, but that means long long hours on the bike, plus trying to fit in running, swimming and gym PLUS walking the pooch everyday, and I really struggle with this because I am a shiftworker.

I just have to make it a priority in my life, because I know if I don't train then I don't feel as well - the more I train the more awake and alert I feel. If that means the car only gets washed once a month instead of every week, then so be it!! I just cull the things that aren't important to me.

For instance, I don't really have a social life. I don't party, or go out at night. My social life is spent with all my cycling buddies when we're on our bikes!! We catch up when we're riding.

Yes, I've had to sacrifice some things to make time to train, but it's worth it! Good luck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:08 am

theres always an opportunity to exercise i reckon. even if its incidental like parking your car further away and walking, using the clothes line instead of the dryer. i have a toddler and i manage clean the house (and im a clean freak! so i vacuum and wash the floors daily) i am now without a car as my fiance and i have gone from 2 cars to one, so i have to walk everywhere. i wont miss out on my womans day or take 5 each week so thats two days i have to walk to get them from the shops at least! i have a couple of exercise dvds and so i pop them on when heidi has a nap during the day. she was up when i was doing yoga the other day so she thought it would be great to climb all over me. i have an exercise bike i brought from kmart on special after xmas and i use that whilst watching tv and waiting for the floors to dry. theres times when i should be relaxing but i use that time to workout cos i know its the only chance ill have. ive probably had 2-3 days of not exercising in months.

but i think everyones circumstances are different and you just need to work out a routine that suits you and works around your family and other things.
kate_turner2000

Postby vanessa0305 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:45 am

I have 4 children, and find the time because its important. I treat it like you would a doctors appointment. Its not a "if I can fit it in" Its a "Must Do!". I drop my kids off, come home and do my house work, have my lunch then go to the gym before picking up the kids. Sometimes I wait until hubby gets home from work and he takes care of the kids while I go to the gym or go for a run. I also sometime go straight from dropping off the kids to my pump class then home for house work and lunch. I really don't think I have had problems fitting in all in. I try and do 1-2hrs of exercise per day.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby madeline » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:11 am

vanessa0305 wrote:I treat it like you would a doctors appointment. Its not a "if I can fit it in" Its a "Must Do!".

That's a good point vanessa. You've actually inspired me for the whole week YAY *hugs*
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Re: How do you fit it all in

Postby loveat116 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:32 am

HeatherL wrote:I've been reading through a lot of the postings on the forum and a lot of people talk about all of the exercise they do. Where do you get the time for this. By the time I get the kids off to school, get the house cleaned ( its a big house) prepare some lunch and dinner and get my 30 min walk in, its time to pick up the kids from school and then I spend the rest of the afternoon racing them around to their various sports before its time to cook dinner, fold the days washing and clean up the bathroom after the kids. Then its time for bed again. WHERE DO YOU FIND THE TIME???

Its not about finding time really, its making time. I work full time, so I try to get up at 6:40ish and go for a walk before brekkie. And I go to the gym at night.

You could always try doing stuff as a family? Like going for walks at night, or going to the local pool with the kids? You should make some time for you!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Maraver » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:07 am

Heather I think you find you do a lot more exercise than you think having school age children, you just don't look at is as exercise ......mine are all of my hands oh how I wish :lol: but they don't live at home anymore :lol: I work full time and by the time I come and done my bits and bobs and exercised its nearly time for bed, I spend little time during the week watching the TV with Andy I feel bad because he likes the TV, so I walk the treadmill while he watches the TV, more often I am in bed at 9pm and he stays up till midnight but I can't do that I am so tired maybe when the exercise becomes easier I will not be so tired
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby milkyway » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:44 am

I think the others have already nailed it - it's about priorities. What's more important? A vacuumed house and sparkling floors or your health and well being? Being a non-neat freak myself, I know what I'd choose ;)

Kate's got some great ideas there about fitting more exercise into your day. Her 10 min DVDs sound like fun, too!

I think the question is not how can you find the time, but how can you afford to not afford the time? I'm sure you want to be around for your kids for a long long time and you don't them to be thinking one day, "Jeez, I wish mum had taken as much care of herself as she did the house."
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:14 pm

I don't have children but I do work fulltime and have a busy social life. However I always make time for Exercise and healthy eating.

I schedule my exercise time. During the weekdays I wake up at 5:30am and go for my morning run. In the evenings when I get home from work (times varies but I always do it) I will do an hour to an hour and a half of cardio (this helps me vent my frustration from the day). I then have dinner. Because I live by myself on weekends I usually cook a variety of different soups and dishes and freeze them in air tight containers so when I'm too lazy to cook I'll just pop it in the microwave (quick, easy and convenient). Then I usually head out for a couple of hours. If I haven't done my evening exercise I won't head out until I do. Otherwise if I know I can't do my evening exercise I will run a couple of extra K's in the morning to make up for it.

Don't get me wrong it's a struggle to wake up some mornings and I could choose to sleep in till 7:30 am to get me to work by 8. But I tell myself that I am worthy of having a great body and after the initial struggle I feel great. Breathing in fresh crisp air invigorates me so much; it makes me glad I am out running rather than sleeping in. And some evenings I don't want to do my exercise but I force myself to do it and I'm grateful I did afterwards. I love the feeling of pushing myself just a little bit harder, sweating, knowing that I'm burning my fat away.

It's a matter of making priorities. Yes, your family and household are important. But aren't YOU? You owe it to yourself to be healthy and happy. A lot of women (with families) feel that they are being selfish for taking an hour of the day for "me" time. It's not selfishness; you owe it to yourself and your family to have a healthy, happy mum.

but i think everyones circumstances are different and you just need to work out a routine that suits you and works around your family and other things.

What Kate has written is absolutely true. Your schedule does sound busy but there is ALWAYS time to fit in exercise. Even if you can’t fit in 30 minutes to an hour a day break it up along the day doing 10 minute intervals. It does sound like you get a lot of incidental exercise in for the day. You'd be surprised at how much that helps.

treat it like you would a doctors appointment. Its not a "if I can fit it in" Its a "Must Do!"

This advice which Vanessa has provided is so valuable.

In the end it has to be something YOU want to do.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby Ses » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:41 pm

I have 2 kids, 20 acres to look after and I study full time (over 40 hours a week contact).

Usually I like to swim or cycle, but it was too difficult to fit in, so I started to get up at 5.30 and walk/jog for 1/2 hour. This plus my daily schedule helps me do over 10 000 steps a day, and has helped the weight loss.

I have this excercise time scheduled as part of my week to make sure it gets done. I also have found that I have much more energy for the day!
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby chubba momma » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:42 pm

this was a great question, one ive been asking myself many times, but after reading the replys i realize how lazy i have been towards exercise,

I have 2 kids (2 year old and 9 week old) and still trying to get us in the swing of things. i love to got for walks and was starting to get into a nice walk routine (morning and arvo) but nows it been raining almost all week and i have got lazy :(

I totally agree its about making the time to do things for you in admist the chaotic lives we all live .. i think this is one lesson i will learn .. i always make excuses.

great responses i am learnign alot :D
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:25 pm

I fit it in by incorporating it into my day. I ride to and from work/uni so that it actually saves me time (rather than 1hr 20min drive to and from work plus my 2 hrs exercice, I get it all in 2 hrs cause that's my transport - make sense??)

So I get up at 6:30, change, hop on bike, gone by 7
arrive uni/work at 8:00/7:30 shower and start day

then leave at 4:30ish, get home by 5:30ish
get dinner started, while that's cooking pack my bags and lunch for tomorrow - have shower if required
Have dinner by around 7:30 then relax

When we get a dog I'll get up at 6:00 and go for a jog with the dog before cycling, feed it as we leave. the bloke can take dog out in evening again when he gets home while I make dinner

We don't have kids as yet, but when/if we do, I'm sure I will do my best to keep the exercise in there.

What has mostly changed is that we barely watch tv. the news, the occasional fave program like Top Gear, striperella, dr who etc. But not couch potatoes like I used to be.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby HeatherL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:07 pm

:D :D :D Thank you everone for the great advice. Good news is that I've convinced hubby to get off his butt and walk with me and he has surprised me by pushing me further. We used to have a set route that we walked ( prob about 1.5klm) round trip. Now we're walking for at least 1 hour a day( prob about 3-4klms) and I'm feeling great. Hubby has about 30kgs to lose so its doing us both good. ( wish I could get him to give up coke but at least he's gone from 7 cans a day to only 1 or 2)

Yep i'm probably doing more incidental exercise than I realise ( I too Kate, like the house to be clean and tidy) when you count vacuuming, sweeping, going back and forth to the laundry etc every day, but still feel its not enough. Maybe I'm just impatient and want this weight gone in a hurry.

Routines don't work for me, something always comes along to stuff it up, so I just go with the flow now.

I've decided running is NOT for me (the dog and I got overtook by a man in his 80's the a while back. Embarrasing for me worse for the dog) so I'll stick to walking and swimming in summer.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6iLTpk/]
HeatherL

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk