It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:57 am

Free Newsletter

My sons girlfriend

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

My sons girlfriend

Postby linda » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:10 am

My son who is 19 who has been seeing a girl for the last few weeks has finally decided to bring her home to meet us. When he first started seeing her and we asked him about her, he said very hesitantly to us that she is a little "plump". I told him "so? that doesn't matter"., anyway to cut a long story short she has not met us yet, and apparently she told him she doesn't do the "parent thing". We think from what my son has told us that she is embarassed because of her weight. He has now been seeing her for about a month and my son told me she has now decided she would like to meet us, I have told him he has nothing to worry about, we will make her feel very welcome, and instead of just a visit I have invited her for dinner tonight, I thought she might feel more relaxed with us if I invited her for dinner. When he first started seeing her it was nothing serious, but now he says "you know mum, her size doesn't bother me because once I have got to know her, she is so nice, and besides I got sick of chasing the skinny ones, because everyone chases them". Anyway I am a bit nervous myself, and I just feel awful that a girl so young (18) is already so self concious
linda

Postby Dolly » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:37 am

Your son is only 19, so there is still a probability that he will have a different girlfriend by the time he's 25.
I think the girl made the right decision in not meeting the folks until she was sure she liked your son enough.

I remember in my youth going out with a handsome guy only four times when he said my mother wishes to meet you :shock:
He introduced me to his mother and left me there to be interviewed by her whilst he left for 10 or 15 minutes, she asked me if I really liked her son? that he was going to be a doctor one day, what job did I have? what were my hobbies? then she tried to make small talk about my family background.
I had another 2 dates with him whilst planning how I could run.
To me he was just a good looking date, marriage with him was far from my thoughts and meeting the family was the last thing I wanted to do, no matter how he might have felt about me.

Good idea on inviting your sons girlfriend to dinner, I wonder if her family have met your son yet?
Let us know how it all goes.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:39 pm

Wow Dolly, that definitely wouldn't have been my scene :shock:

Linda, she might be purely embarrassed, but she might also be scared to be doing the 'meet the parents' thing. My advice would be to just be casual and treat her just like any friend of your children.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Fairie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:52 pm

Wow Linda that is a tribute to you and your husband as parents to have brought up your son to see beneath the surface and he is so young. I wish more men thought like him.

I agree with Dolly, it is more than likely he will have other girlfriends but that shouldn't mean you don't take this seriously. Just as Tegan said be casual with her treat her no different than any other friend but above all enjoy the nice evening. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby linda » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:46 am

Well everything went really well, she is a lovely girl, quite chatty, so there were no "awkward" moments. She was all dressed up with makeup, so that quite impressed me that she went to a lot of trouble to make a good impression, and she dotes on my son and he is lapping up all the attention!, she had impeccable manners, so all in all a very nice girl
linda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:50 am

That's fantastic!! It sounds like she was comfortable meeting you then, and I'm not surprised your son loves the attention - boys always do :roll:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:58 pm

Thats great Linda, with a great mum like you, your son was bound to pick a winner
Dolly

Return to Weight loss Talk