It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Plateau

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Plateau

Postby Carly » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:17 am

Hello all,

I have searched the internet high and low for some answers but the information I find does not relate to my specific circumstances. I hope you can help me..

Since January 5th this year I have lost 36 kilos. In order to obtain a healthy weight I need to lose another 16 but I can not get there. In the last couple of months I have lost only .9 of a kilo. I have changed my exercise routine, upping the intensity a little, and the amount I do. Before I was doing an hour 4 days a week and now I am doing an hour 5 days a week and an extra 45 minutes or so 1 day a fortnight. I have tried increasing my calorie intake as well as reducing it, but I am really stuck. I can not seem to move anything.

Any ideas on how I should tackle this? I am still keen and although not losing anything for a few months has been difficult, and emotionally exhausting to keep going, I have acheived so much and really want to acheive my ultimate goal. What do I do now? Any thoughts, information, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Carly
Carly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:37 am

HI carly

welcome and congrats on your weightloss to date. What i was going to suggest was a change in routine and calorie intake to shake it up a bit but it seems you have already tried that. have you taken into consideration things like, water intake, sodium levels in food, hormones and portion sizes? best wishes and i am sure you will overcome this hurdle
kate_turner2000

Postby molligrub » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:10 am

Hi Carly,

I have heard it recommended that if you plateau for too long, then its a good idea to slowly increase calorie intake up to maintenance level - increase daily intake by around 200 calories a week, then eat at maintenance level for a few weeks, then gradually cut back down again to weight loss level. ie - try and fool your body into thinking that you've stopped trying to lose weight.

Another thing that is really good for fat loss is high intensity interval training - instead of doing half an hour at a steady pace, do 15 minutes of alternating easy/all out effort. Your fitness will improve dramatically!

Hope this helps, you already sound like you've gone down the right path in trying everything, and congrats on your weight loss!

Molli.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:34 pm

I am also having this issue. Lost 35kg as of October last year, then was stuck for AAGEES and now I'm back up 4kg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words can not express the frustration and now I'm backsliding in habits (though this is mostly psychological I think, courtesy of having ahard time at Uni :( )

I don't think my body thinks it's starving!! LOL I've been quite naughty in the eating stakes. And I'm cycling 2 hrs per day. I'm hoping the addition of some jogging will get me back on track.

Thoughts?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby HeatherL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Sounds to me like its time for some professional advice. Seek help from your doctor, a dietician or nutrionist. Hopefully they can come up with some answers.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS on such a huge loss so far.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6iLTpk/]
HeatherL

Postby Carly » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:21 am

Thank you all for your help. My partner had also suggested going to see my doctor. He has seen the disappointment and the although minimal right now reduction in my motivation levels and positive state of mind.

I will go and see the doc I think. But thank you all for taking the time to reply and the kind words re my current success :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl9ppYR/]
[/url]
Carly

Postby KimE » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:58 am

Stay positive Carly as it really is worth it and you have done such a fantastic job so far. I am sure you feel the benefits of your improved health already.

I haven't got anything more to add than what the others have said so will be interesting to see what your doc says.

All the best and lest us know how you go. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ses » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:36 am

This is from the booklet ww gave out a few years ago on breaking through a plateau ......

1. look at your triggers: negative thoughts/feelings about self/wt/progress so far??; eating more then you realise?; check portion sizes; activity level daily?; tracking daily?; have you started any prescriptiuon medications/dietry supplements/over the counter meds?

2. try to change your routine
3. recheck how much you eat
4. look at protion sizes
5. get moving
6. track (record) food/excercise daily
7. eat more lo-cal foods (ie green veg)
8. drink more water

The book advocates eating 1200 cals for the next week or two, until the weight starts dropping.

I know for me that cahnging my routine has a big effect, and trying to do my cardio excercise before breakfast moves the fat off......

Good Luck!
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:01 am

great advice everyone and Carly I'm sure that you will get there eventually - at least that's the hope I'm holding on to!

SES that's the theory I'm working on - change in routine, make my body work - that's why I've started with the jogging. My body's not used to it.

I'm anticipating a rocky re-start and may put on a bit again like I did when I started originally. After all it has been nearly a year since I got to where I am now!! I should probably start the food diary in earnest again too

If that doesn't work I may also take the advice of seeing a GP.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Weight loss Talk