It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:59 pm

Free Newsletter

advice please, ladies!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

advice please, ladies!

Postby madeline » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:40 pm

Does anyone else find on days they don't eat much at all they're not hungry? It's a bit hard to explain but I find when I do eat, my body expects more food e.g. a subway 6", sushi or a bowl of pasta, etc... those type of things seems to kick start my stomach into wanting more food. Maybe coffee also makes me hungry (didn't have any today).

Today the biggest thing i ate were a couple of handfuls of tee-vee snacks (those little chocolate covered biscuits) and the rest of the things i ate were 6 strawberries and 2 mandarines. I am full as. I think if I had cereal in the morning, I would have eaten a lot more during the day.

This can't be bad right? Like if I don't feel hungry, I shouldn't eat... yeah?

I'm quite confused because I have always been conscious of not depriving my body. This has been my biggest barrier in weightloss... I thought if I didn't eat til I was full, or if I didn't eat at "meal times" I wouldn't be able to function (I feel kind of silly typing this now), like I wouldn't be able to do my uni assignments properly, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on work, etc. The fear of not working to the best of my potential was driving my eating.

Since I joined this forum, my eating has been all over the place. I haven't binged for a week... but last night I was sick and I threw up a total of 6 times, so pretty much I ate nothing yesterday... and now today I've had a minimal day... but for some reason I feel full of energy and full. I've been on quite a few diets... right now eating fruit is working for me, but I've really plateau'ed. I've been 59kg for over a month now. Is it ok not to eat much regularly (say, more than 2 days) if you're honestly not hungry? I just feel like it's an eating disorder or something, and I don't want to be judged :oops:

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby molligrub » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:48 pm

Hey Madz, good on you for being concerned about it and asking for advice.

The reason you feel hungrier when you eat is because you're metabolism is faster, so you feel hungrier more quickly. Likewise when you restrict too much, your metabolism shuts down, and starts shutting down body processes. It's not good to restrict too much, because your body starts cannabilizing its own lean muscle in order to help the metabolism slow down further. It also gets rid of all other 'nonessential' processes such as menstrual cycle, bone building and concentration etc.

Maybe you've plateaued because you've restricted far too long and too much? You may need to dramatically up your exercise level AND food intake for awhile. It's called high energy flux - you are still in energy balance but by eating more and exercising more (read about John Berardi - it's good reading). The more you eat (and exercise to maintain weight) the better your lean mass will be, and your metabolism will rise.

I found that after I starved all my weight off, I could regain weight very easy on little food, but now I've been eating well consistently for awhile, I can LOSE weight on 2 or 3 times the calorie intake I was eating back then and GAINING weight!!.

Hope this helps your dilemma somewhat!!

Molli
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby HeatherL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Wish I could. Although I don't feel like I'm starving hungry I still feel the urge to eat and have found the past week really hard. I would suggest to you that you make sure you eat breakfast, even if its only light, to make sure you kick start your day properly. Graze all day if that suits you, just make sure its good for you. I don't but only because I find it too easy to resort to bikkies and choccies.

Hope this helps.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6iLTpk/]
HeatherL

Re: advice please, ladies!

Postby loveat116 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:00 am

madeline wrote:Does anyone else find on days they don't eat much at all they're not hungry? It's a bit hard to explain but I find when I do eat, my body expects more food e.g. a subway 6", sushi or a bowl of pasta, etc... those type of things seems to kick start my stomach into wanting more food. Maybe coffee also makes me hungry (didn't have any today).

Today the biggest thing i ate were a couple of handfuls of tee-vee snacks (those little chocolate covered biscuits) and the rest of the things i ate were 6 strawberries and 2 mandarines. I am full as. I think if I had cereal in the morning, I would have eaten a lot more during the day.

This can't be bad right? Like if I don't feel hungry, I shouldn't eat... yeah?

I'm quite confused because I have always been conscious of not depriving my body. This has been my biggest barrier in weightloss... I thought if I didn't eat til I was full, or if I didn't eat at "meal times" I wouldn't be able to function (I feel kind of silly typing this now), like I wouldn't be able to do my uni assignments properly, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on work, etc. The fear of not working to the best of my potential was driving my eating.

Since I joined this forum, my eating has been all over the place. I haven't binged for a week... but last night I was sick and I threw up a total of 6 times, so pretty much I ate nothing yesterday... and now today I've had a minimal day... but for some reason I feel full of energy and full. I've been on quite a few diets... right now eating fruit is working for me, but I've really plateau'ed. I've been 59kg for over a month now. Is it ok not to eat much regularly (say, more than 2 days) if you're honestly not hungry? I just feel like it's an eating disorder or something, and I don't want to be judged :oops:

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

There could be a few reasons why your not hungry, it could be psychological? Or it could be that your stomach has shrunk, so you feel full easier. If i am not active all day, i dont get hungry. But you should always eat, if not then your metabolism will slow down.

If you have hit a plateau, dont decrease your calories! Eat more thermic foods (protein) and increase your exercise. Do you have limewire? If so download "burn the fat feed the muscle", there is heaps of stuff in there about plateauing. This e-book is my bible.

Make sure you keep your fluids up when your sick! So you dont dehydrate! Hope your feeling better soon
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby toofat » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Are you taking hoodia or xenical or any other appetite suppressant?? you feel full just eating that little???? I wish i could be like that!! it sure must make your weight loss trip faster..
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3uQcio/]
[/url]
toofat

Postby madeline » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:56 pm

nope i'm not on any type of medication or weight loss pill...

yeah i had another low food day... just small plate of vegetarian indian food, banana and apple.

i don't know if it's helping or hindering my WL journey. i've been on 59 for ages... but then again i only weigh myself every couple of weeks or so... (it's an analog scale so it's hard to tell anyway). i know i'm definitely losing INCHES though, flat tummy, smaller butt & i think my thighs are further apart now LOL.

i really think it might be the coffee. i think coffee makes you hungry faster. either that or CARBS. haven't had pasta, bread or white rice for 3 days. thanks for all your advice so far... it really means a lot to me that you girls take the time to reply with such caring (and helpful!) advice.

love & kisses,
Madz
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby HeatherL » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:25 pm

Have you checked your height for weight ratio. At 59kgs you may well be nearing the right weight for your height. You may not need to lose any more.

I too have noticed that I'm feeling full on a lot less food and I put it down to eating brekky especially since its nos something I've done for years.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6iLTpk/]
HeatherL

Return to Weight loss Talk