It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Free Newsletter

CSIRO

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

CSIRO

Postby Jacquie93 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:54 pm

hey,
does any1 know if the CSIRO diet is gd? has any1 tryed it b4?
Thanks.
Jacquie93

Postby Ses » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:12 am

I tried the csiro diet early in the year, but found that it was too much meat for me. Cutting the meat portions back made it more like a ww plan anyway. I think if you have a lot of wt to shift, it will help you get started, but as you become closer to a healthy wt you will need to rethink the protion sizes.
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby Nay » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:06 pm

Hi. I have tried CSIRO before. I found that buying all the food was very expensive. I also found that after eating dinner, I didn't crave sweet food like I usually do. I still have the two cook books and there are still recipes that I use from there often, I just don't base my whole diet around CSIRO or follow it to a tee.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w1gyr2A/]
[/url]
Nay

Postby MissE » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:49 pm

I'm on it right now, infact I'm a guinea pig for their latest study regarding it and I love it! I'm a bit of a carnivore anyway so the extra meat satisfies me, and I love the freedom of it, its not quite as flexible as WW but its pretty darn good!
I've been on it 4 weeks and have lost around 5kg (weigh in tomorrow) and I've found it very easy to stick to..
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby Fireball » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:49 pm

My daughter was using it but said she found it too time consuming to prepare. Instead she has just cut back on her portion size a little otherwise eating what she had before - much easier.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby MissE » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:55 pm

I have heard people say that and I dont get it, I've found it to be the easiest and most flexible diet next to the WW points plan. You dont have to make anything special, and you can take your pick pretty much...
MissE

Postby Ophir » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:44 am

I was doing it, but found it to time consuming with prep time and also quite expensive. I still cook some of the recipes though.
Ophir

Postby onmyway » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:16 pm

My parents=in-law are on it and they've lost heaps of weight. I stayed at their place for 2 weeks and lost 2 kg and I wasn't even doing exercise! (and I had an extra afternoon snack because I am breastfeeding and was hungry by the afternoon).

I suppose if you make meal plans and write shopping lists anyway it makes your life easier because it's already done for you! But if you're not the organised type, it will be difficult.

About the expense...think about how much you spend on junk food/spontaneous shopping anyway. Also, think of it as an investment into your health. I am on a tight budget but I spend a bit more on good healthy food because I just end up eating junk if I'm not satisfied.

Another way to save money on it is to buy bulk meat from a cheaper, good quality store. You can substitute as well.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPVZJ/]
[/url]
Goals:67=new shoes,65=haircut,60=shopping
onmyway

Postby MissE » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:20 pm

i guess coz i tend to be fussy about my meat anyway, ie only buying breast (stocking up when its cheap) and lean beef etc, and i use frozen veg instead of fresh, and im adventurous with the exchanging (the menu guides are only guides! so long as you follow the format, you make your own menus) i dont find it expensive at all. And 5kg in 4 weeks and not feeling deprived at all, I'm loving it!
MissE

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:47 pm

I bought this book when it first came out but there is too much meet for my liking :shock: .

Also what's with all the calculations at the start. All that scientific babble got to me.

It's been collecting dust on my bookshelf (with all my other self help books :P - I'm a sucker for them lol)

I might pull it out and have a look at the recipes and use them for dinner ideas.

Though I'm finding GAD (great aussie diet) really easy to follow and loving it. Also using calorie king too :D

Since I've started to seriously count cals and become aware of what I'm eating, I am noticing the difference (I've lost a kilo in 4 days).

At the end of the day I think its all about energy vs energy out :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby MissE » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Thats very true, about the energy in v energy out, but the CSIRO studies have apparently shown that there is more to it, that depending on the energy going in, different things break down and go out, ie people on a high carb low kj diet lost alot more lean muscle mass along with their fat than people on a high protein low kj diet.
Not preaching for the diet, coz I'll believe it when I see it, but I found that interesting.

And yeah the calculations were just TMI. I just follow the basic plan in the book and it seems to work...
MissE

Postby HappyBella55 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:34 am

What is TMI :?:

So the study found that lean muscle mass was being lost rather than body fat with a high carb diet?

That worries me a little but I don't think I would incorporate more meat into my diet. I have a lot of trouble digesting it - I feel all bloaty for days after eating meat.

My daily food consumption would be classified as high carb. I don't see this as bad because they are the good carbs, legumes, whole wheat, whole grains, lots of veg and fruit. I try to avoid eating any proceed food. The less human interference food the better :D

Question - how can you tell if you are loosing muscle instead of fat?
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:49 am

If you are eating things like legumes then you ARE getting protein (legumes and nuts are nature's vegetable protein powerhouses) it's just a different type and apparently if you combine legumes with grains other protein rich foods it combines to give a complete protein.

This is an exerpt from http://www.kurma.net/essays/e9.html He has a very pro vegetarian stance, but the recipes are great

Take dal for instance, the subject of this essay. Dal is the generic name for all members of the dried pea and bean family, and also the name of the dishes made from them. Dal is also the ultimate Indian comfort food. It’s hearty, but not heavy, rich in flavour but light on digestion, the protein-rich staple for millions. Dal is not only delicious but it’s a good source of iron and B vitamins, and an excellent source of vegetable protein.

When you combine dal with a food that has complementary protein, like breads, rice or dairy products, a synergistic reaction occurs, and the usable protein in the dal increases by as much as 40%. In other words, if you eat ¾ cup of dal with 2 cups of rice, you get the protein equivalent of a quarter-kilo steak.

Also see http://www.passionforpulses.com/ for some more recipes - I have their cookbook and it's great
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:25 am

TMI = Too Much Information :!:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby HappyBella55 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks ally...laughing my butt off hahahaha.

Thanks Butterfly_Dawn for that information. I love legums especially lentils, chickpeas and kidney beans.

I've saved those sites so I can get some recipe ideas.

I had no idea that legumes were protein rich food. Yay for me
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

HappyBella55

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk