It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Free Newsletter

anyone know any good exercise to do with kids

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

anyone know any good exercise to do with kids

Postby marie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:23 am

hiya its me again i get my three year old boy back tomorrow as he has been at his dads any ideas on how to keep him occupied while i am on my walks and he is in his pram otherwise walk the speed of a toddler and it won't help. gonna start taking him swimming twice a week from next week as well. but do you have any ideas on different exercises that he can either join in with or keep him occupied while i do mine. am a single mum so don't really have anyone to watch him. and think i have made a good start don't want it to go to rack and ruin. very excited about getting him back though hes only been gone for five days feels like a life time. any ideas or hints will be greatfully recieved. :)

Postby Dolly » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:28 am

Not sure what to do to keep a three year old entertained in a pram but shortly the Wiggles will be releasing their videos in the UK and they are great exercise for mums and kids to dance along to.
Click Here - ... html#video

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:59 am

Yeah, get right in to whatever he thinks is fun! Kids can be active little critters, so depending on his age, enjoy some active play time with him. Drag some sheets out and wreck the house making cubbies and tunnels to crawl and wriggle through (and then spend some more energy putting it back together LOL). Play chasings. Whatever you can think of!!!

Remember exercise isn't only walking and this way you get to exercise using different muscles than you normally would AND you get to spend some fantastic time with him!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby kymbahlee » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:51 pm

Fly a kite
Throw a ball for him to hit and chase after it
Make an obstacle course with chairs/tables to tunnel under, things to clumb over, a line to balance along....
Dance to music
Go on a nature walk and see what animals you can find
Take turns in doing a movement that the other has to copy.
Get paint brushes and a pot of water and 'paint' walls or fences
Do gardening together
Take him for horsey rides around the house!

i would say to do exercises that he can do with you rather than go walking with him in the pram, it will be heaps more fun for him and easier than trying to keep him occupied in his pram.

Postby Angel » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:56 pm

Here's a few ideas:

*Point things out while you walk - dogs, flowers, birds etc
*What about giving him some books to look at or perhaps go walking when it's his nap time (if he still has one) then you won't need to keep him entertained.
*Try an exercise video - he can copy Mum.
*Chasey or playing ball - where you have to run for ball.
*piggy backing him around your yard (think you might get sick of this before he will!)

When you go swimming try holding him and running around the pool - he'll have a blast and it will be really good for you.

I know you said you don't have anyone to watch him but do you have friends that also walk - I use to do this with my friend and her 2 girls (now 3 girls) and they were busy looking for me, also we used to play 'catch up', I walk a little ahead, Mum and kids would run to catch up - lots of fun - you could swap on the way back so you're not doing all the running.

Hope these help. :D
Last edited by Angel on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:05 am

great tips most appreaciated do most things like that with him but hadn't thought of it as exercise before and some others i will try out. thanks! :)

Return to Weight loss Talk