It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 pm

Free Newsletter

To see a doctor.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

To see a doctor.

Postby esoteric » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:09 am

Hello all,

I was wondering about seeing a doctor, my step daughter has been seeing one and lost around 11 kilos, I don't know for how long but my husband said I should go to this doctor also. It's costly somewhat but if it helps it would be worth it.

If its just the same thing like eating plenty of fresh veggies and fruits I don't see the benefits, I am walking an hour everyday on the treadmill interval walking.

Are there any other benefits worth it to see a doctor, its a hundred up front then 30 a week, with weeky weigh ins, also they do a diet I don't know how the diet is but they change it from week to week.

My husband told me she eats all the foods she likes, meat, chicken etc but boiled or broiled instead of fried or baked I guess. My step daughter doesn't talk to me its along story just as Egypt is another long one. She told her father (my hubby) about it.

Any heads up, advice or what to look for or watch out for. Many thanks in advance for your comments.

esoteric

Postby milkyway » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:02 am

I don't know that a doc's going to be able to tell you anything you don't already know in terms of sensible eating and exercise or what you can't learn here :P. So much of it is about trial and error until you find what works for you. What works well for one person is necessarily suitable for another.

However, a doc might be able to do a general health check to make sure your blood pressure is OK, check your cholesterol and iron levels, make sure your thyroid is functioning properly, that sort of thing and see exactly where/what in your diet you need to work on.

It might also be a benchmark to measure 'other' progress - so in 6 months get rechecked to see how much better your resting heart rate is, what your blood pressure is, how your cholesterol levels have come down etc. That way you'll be able so see all the good progress you've made and how your body is thanking you for the effort you put in :)

Edit: what I meant about 'other' progress is how your body is functioning vs how it looks/weightloss/cm or inches lost :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:45 pm

HI sara by looking at your ticker it seems that what you are doing on your own is working fine. however as sandra said, the dr could check for underlying medical problems and give you a general check up. some people feel accountable by going for weekly weigh ins with dr's or organisations etc which keeps them on top of the weightloss. let us know waht you decide to do!!
kate_turner2000

Postby sassi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:49 pm

i agree with the others! it does seem like you're on the right track so far :)

i guess a check up from a dr can be a good thing to do whether you need to lose weight or not, and he could maybe help if there's anything you have a concern with re-exercise, but other than that it seems like there's a fair bit of good information available for free :wink:
sassi

Postby Mandie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:04 pm

It sounds like you are making good progress and have made some sensible lifestyle changes on your own. You're losing weight at a reasonable rate and it doesn't seem like you need any extra help at the moment. You're doing really well! :)

As the others have said, sometimes it can be good to see a doctor to have a general checkup and make sure you are doing all the right things. Having said that, the program your step-daughter is on sounds a bit different - $100 up front then $30 a week for what? Your local doctor should check you out/help you with weight loss with your normal bulk-billed rate, or normal private rate if you don't get bulk billing at your doctor. This doctor sounds really expensive for doing what really is their job! Obesity is a medical condition.. people forget that TOO often.. and the doctor's job is to help treat that.
Mandie

Postby esoteric » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:03 pm

Yeah I think you all are right, if I want to check up for other issues it great to see him, but just for weightloss I already know to boil instead of fry and eat plenty of fresh veggies and fruits. I have made more progress, I came here 92 and before this I was 89 it went up with that time and stuffing myself, this short while that came off with the walking and I have lost more then I did the first time.

I can save the money and get something nice instead. Maybe go to the Amusement park :lol:

esoteric

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:16 pm

good decision sara, thats would i would do, save my money and treat myself to something as a reward for the weight losing. you seem to be on the right track good on you!
kate_turner2000

Return to Weight loss Talk