It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Free Newsletter

I dont know what to do..

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I dont know what to do..

Postby BusyMum » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi Everyone.

I am a newbie to this website. But I hope that one day I will be an oldie and that I havent had yet another lightbulb moment that will fade within a day or two.

I am a mum to two kids under the age of two. So i am kept busy with them, and as a result, rather than make myself nutritous meals during the day, I tend to snack on rubbish like biscuits, etc when I get the chance.

Here's a bit of background on me...

When I moved in with DP I weighed 63kg (I am 170cm tall) and that was quiet a good weight for me. Over the next few years I slowly but surely ballooned to 85kg. One month before I fell pregnant (after a looooong time trying) with my first daughter, I joined a gym and went down to 79kg. By the day I had her, I weighed 102kg (I think i confused pregnancy with a reason to eat). Within the few days after I had her, I had lost 12kg (I had alot of fluid retention also). I lost a few kilograms between then and when I fell pregnant with my second daughter, but by 12wks pregnant with her, I was already back to 90kg. And I weighed exactly the same the day I had her - 102kg. I only lost 5kg in the days after i had her, and I lost 2kg on weight watchers about 1 month ago, so I now weigh 95kg. Like every other diet I tried between my 2 pregnancies, and before either of them (Tony Ferguson, Weight watchers, Lite n Easy), I had trouble sticking to it. I have an extreme sweet tooth.

So with my failed attempts at previous diets, Im not sure exactly where I should start this time. I think I fail at them because I dont like to feel restircted. And I found that they all made me feel that way- Tony ferguson especially!

In the last week I have been trying to turn down things I would normally have. And I have been trying to cut back on extra's like sauces, etc. Although, I do have to admit, I have not been very good at it.

I think that I need to take slow steps to change my lifestyle, so I probably do know where to start. But I find it REALLY REALLY dificult, and I guess I am looking for tips on ways to make it easier.

I appreciate ANY feedback, especially harsh criticism lol. That tends to make me think "Holy crap! I have to do something!"

(I think I may have just rambled on a bit - or alot! But thanks for reading :) )
Angela.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiWIiQF/]
BusyMum

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:26 pm

Angela

welcome to the group :) thanks for sharing that bit of background info on you at least we have some sort of idea where you are coming from and some of us can relate :) i am a mum of a 20 month old girl :) you are right they do keep you busy- i dont know how you do it with two! LOL its amazing LOL. im a child care worker but i am a stay at home mum at the moment and i am turned off having any more- for the time being anyway :P

do you have a double pram you can put the girls in to go for walks? make the most of this nice weather lately and hit the road for lots of walks.

make a food and exercise diary. this will make you feel accountable for what you are putting in your mouth and making sure that you stick to your planned food and exercise for the week. you can check out the food and exercise diaries here on the forum to get an idea of what you should and shouldnt be doing. if you are breastfeeding remember that you need to eat more calories - you can check out what you should be eating at http://www.calorieking.com.au i am using the calorieking site this time around, as i lost weight late last year and put half of it back on. the first time i lost the weight i was quite restrictive with my carb eating and this time around i am eating carbs all the time but just balancing it out and eating things in moderation. its something i can keep up for a lifetime not just a lose weight quick scheme.

sing out if you need anything, there is always someone around :)
take care
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:24 pm

small changes are definitely the best place to start! Food and exercise diaries as kate said are very handy for the beginning as well so that you can see exactly what you are doing now in order to identify what you need to change.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Jannie » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:49 am

Hi Angela,

Thanks for sharing your story. I can certainly relate to your story too. I am a stay-at-home mum at present to my youngest daughter, 4 yrs & am also studying by distance ed. When you are so busy, it's very hard to make the time to stop and prepare something nutritious, but remember YOU DESERVE BETTER! I spent ages snacking on biscuits, kids' leftovers, any rubbish at all, rather than making real food, before I had my "lightbulb" moment. :idea:

My background's a bit like yours, slow weight increase over a time, but my biggest jump came after my daughter's birth, when I ballooned about 20kg from my pre-pregnancy weight, cringing when I hit 95kg. :oops: I struggled to lose about 2kg before joining this site.

Kate has given you good advice. I have also joined calorieking and keeping a food diary. This is a great idea, because it adds up your calories for you and keeps track of what you are eating, incl. your nutrients, but you must BE HONEST in writing what you had, even if it was a binge. You can eat what you like, in moderation, unlike a plan where it is all set down for you in concrete, and it has not taken me long to realise that it is much easier if I stick to the healthy choices. I do have the occasional treat, but then I have to watch my calories carefully for the rest of the day. It's just balance.

It's a slow road to travel, but, having lost a few kgs (although having bounced up-and-down a little in weight & still with a long way to go), I am absolutely committed to never being that fat again! :roll: It has been invaluable having the support of others here, as I really have no one to share this with at home.

Good luck, you have my best wishes in achieving your weight loss and I look forward to hearing how you are progressing. :)

Jannie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBcrzqc/]
[/url]
Jannie

Postby Carly » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:16 am

I can relate to your story in that until now every diet I have tried I have failed at. I love to eat and when dieting I always felt like I was missing out on things that I really do enjoy. So of course, I always failed too. I never lost more than 3 maybe 4 kg on any diet.

I started losing weight in January and I have lost 37kg. I decided it was time to change my life style but I made it a very clear cut point that I would not go on a diet. I have not dieted since January, I have been on a mission to improve my health. What this has meant for me is that I have still been able to have the choco chip cookies I love so much, and the ice cream but now in moderation and I also work the other things I eat that day around it. if I know I will be going out for dinner, I will eat lighter during the day, a salad roll for lunch, toast for breaky and a piece of fruit if required and that enables me to have what I want at dinner time with my friends .... in moderation. Eating healthier changed the way I felt almost straight away. The weight was dropping off, but what I remember most about those early weeks and months was feeling clean and alive. I felt energetic and less sluggish and honestly that was an amazing feeling.

So maybe try to avoid a diet. Maybe create a plan that enables you to have the things you love in a healthy way. You will probably find that starting off trying to be healthy will inspire you and you will end up dieting without realising it, never feeling restricted because you can lose weight and be healthy eating the naughty things diets make no allowances for.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl9ppYR/]
[/url]
Carly

Postby Jannie » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:08 pm

Wow, Carly, 37kg! What an inspiration you are. I set my goal weight at 65kg (highest in the healthy weight range for my height), which is a 30kg drop from my heftiest weight and what I thought I could live with, but if I'm really honest, 37-40 kg is what I would really to shed. I am bowled over that you have done that since January - what a great achievement! I have banked on it taking over a year to drop just 30! :?

I have never tried dieting. Call me dumb, but I never really admitted I was fat until I had my "lightbulb moment". I never really weighed myself and knew I had gained weight over time, of course, as I crept up in clothing size from 8 to 18 (over years, remember) but, silly as it sounds now, I didn't really consider myself obese. And then, all of a sudden, my eyes were opened! :shock:

Like you, I don't think of myself as "dieting". I do track my food and calorie intake, as it encourages me to make sensible choices but there are no "forbidden" foods, just a more healthy overall eating style, as I see this as changing my life, not a temporary "fix-it".

I agree that I feel much more energetic and also "clean and alive". It makes me hesitate to spoil this with a foolish binge and although not always perfect (such as last week on holidays) I feel good about myself for working towards my goal a little at a time.

Angela, slow steps are good. It might take a while but you will get there in the end (and me too, I hope).

Good luck,
Jannie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBcrzqc/]
[/url]
Jannie

Re: I dont know what to do..

Postby help6363 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:07 am

BusyMum wrote:Hi Everyone.

I am a newbie to this website. But I hope that one day I will be an oldie and that I havent had yet another lightbulb moment that will fade within a day or two.

I am a mum to two kids under the age of two. So i am kept busy with them, and as a result, rather than make myself nutritous meals during the day, I tend to snack on rubbish like biscuits, etc when I get the chance.

Here's a bit of background on me...

When I moved in with DP I weighed 63kg (I am 170cm tall) and that was quiet a good weight for me. Over the next few years I slowly but surely ballooned to 85kg. One month before I fell pregnant (after a looooong time trying) with my first daughter, I joined a gym and went down to 79kg. By the day I had her, I weighed 102kg (I think i confused pregnancy with a reason to eat). Within the few days after I had her, I had lost 12kg (I had alot of fluid retention also). I lost a few kilograms between then and when I fell pregnant with my second daughter, but by 12wks pregnant with her, I was already back to 90kg. And I weighed exactly the same the day I had her - 102kg. I only lost 5kg in the days after i had her, and I lost 2kg on weight watchers about 1 month ago, so I now weigh 95kg. Like every other diet I tried between my 2 pregnancies, and before either of them (Tony Ferguson, Weight watchers, Lite n Easy), I had trouble sticking to it. I have an extreme sweet tooth.

So with my failed attempts at previous diets, Im not sure exactly where I should start this time. I think I fail at them because I dont like to feel restircted. And I found that they all made me feel that way- Tony ferguson especially!

In the last week I have been trying to turn down things I would normally have. And I have been trying to cut back on extra's like sauces, etc. Although, I do have to admit, I have not been very good at it.

I think that I need to take slow steps to change my lifestyle, so I probably do know where to start. But I find it REALLY REALLY dificult, and I guess I am looking for tips on ways to make it easier.

I appreciate ANY feedback, especially harsh criticism lol. That tends to make me think "Holy crap! I have to do something!"

(I think I may have just rambled on a bit - or alot! But thanks for reading :) )

Hello!

I am new too!

I calorie count because I can add treats each day! I cannot stand going without my treats.... hehehehe.

Anyway....... here is some of my advice. It's what I learnt, since we are all NOT made from the same blueprint it may or may not be useful to you! Hope it is of some help!
STAGE ONE!

The preparation stage

In life we seem to prepare for everything: career, starting a family, marriage and so forth. When it comes to weight loss, a lot of people simply just state that’s it and do not preparation what-so-ever. To be successful we must prepare: not preparing is preparing for failure!

How does one prepare?

1. Set well defined goals

What are your goals? These can be changed and they probably will. However, you need something to work towards. Remember to write down why it is important to YOU to change these goals!

Your goals don’t need to be related to just the number on the scales or a dress size. For instance, one of my goals is to enter into a slimming magazine competition when I reach my goal weight. Allow yourself to dream.

Write down your goals:

2. Know thy self!

We spend so much time asking other people how they feel and trying to work them out, let’s do the same for ourselves. What problems do you normally encounter? How will you overcome these problems?

One of my biggest problems is binge eating. To solve this problem, I keep a journal with the aim of trying to figure myself out. Here’s what I do: write down when I feel like binge eating and what I feel like eating. I can look over this at a later date. When I have analysed myself and my actions I came to the realisation that I like to eat greasy food when I am stressed, chocolate when I am grumpy and so forth. Now you just need to replace the habit with something else. Can you drink water when you are stressed instead of reaching for the greasy food? Make strategies that will work for YOU!

This may take some practice! Hence, just get back on the horse if you do slip up….. it’s really not the end of the world!

3. Social support

We all need help sometimes! Social support can come in many different forms: friends, the Internet, groups. Find what works for you.

Once again this may take some research!

4. A contract

Draw up a contract: in which you promise to fight this battle and win! This way you are holding yourself accountable.

5. Relax and enjoy the journey

Many people focus on the final outcome but just enjoy the journey. Each day will present itself with new challenges and along the way you will learn new skills to deal with these challenges. This journey is going to change you…… it’s pretty amazing what you are able to do, don’t you think?

6. Planning to exercise

If you are anything like me, you would have no idea about what exercise you like. Again this is self discovery, find out what you like. Go to different places and try new things. Remember you are learning about you! You are worth the effort.

7. Barriers

Sometimes barriers just get in our way. Brainstorm about if there are any barriers in your way before you attempt this. If there are barriers that present problems, then try to sort them out.

8. What works for you?

There are millions of diets, gimmicks and so forth. I personally follow calorie counting because it works for me. Research until you find a strategy for weight loss that works for you. Make sure it is healthy and will ensure that your new eating plan helps you to maintain an optimum level of health.

Jumping on the Internet for just an hour a day could be your research!

9. Staying motivated

Each time I used to commence a diet, I would start with enthusiasm and then a week later quit! We need strategies to keep us motivated. What motivates you?

Here’s what I did: I broke my main goal into mini goals and then made up rewards for myself each time I reached a mini goal. Rewards can be anything: soap, bubble bath, holiday, a special outing and so forth. Yes, you could give yourself these things anytime but why not work towards them?

Know your self, what motivates you? How will you keep yourself motivated? Work out strategies that will work for you!

STAGE 2 The doing stage

I think this is the toughest part.

Keeping on track – journal it!

Keeping a journal is great! You could include pictures of yourself as you go through your weight loss journey. It’s great for when you look back and think to yourself…. ‘hey I am pretty amazing, look at what I have done!’ You could record your food intake, thoughts and feelings and so forth. This is a record of your own unique weight loss journey.

Drinking water

Water helps to decrease the appetite and will help your skin to glow! Try to drink at least 6-8 glasses a day. For me that was a MAJOR challenge.

Finding it all too much?

If you are finding it all too much then you could write out a timetable. I did this at the start because I could not fit in time to exercise. Also, I have designed and stuck to a timetable when I was unemployed to ensure that I had structure in my life. For my structure is very, very important. Other people simply do not need it!

The plateau

Almost everyone hits a plateau. I hate them; the dreaded plateau annoys me so much! They annoy me because I am working and not seeing any results! Arrrggghhhh…. Plateaus!!!! There are so many things that you can do! Once again research. Here’s how I have overcome plateaus:

Drink more water
Vary my exercise routine
Watch my calories (write everything down!)
Change the types of food I am eating - still sticking with the correct number of calories

Meals

Eating six small meals a day has helped me to stay on task. It ensures that I am never really hungry and never really full. Also, I believe it helps the metabolism!

Stepping it up!

Exercise goals also needed to be reviewed. I started exercising by walking, I know go the gym. I participate in cardio and weight training. Weight training is great: I only used the machines, as I do not like the free weights.
help6363

Return to Weight loss Talk