It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Free Newsletter

Totally irrelevant but my boy's constipated - HELP!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Totally irrelevant but my boy's constipated - HELP!

Postby Hayley » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:21 pm

Hi guys,

This is nothing to do with weight loss or exercise but you all have so much advice, I thought I'd ask for some help.

Over the last week and a half, my 2.5 year old son has become very aware of needing to go to the toilet and has been going on the 'big toilet'. He's now very paranoid about doing anything in his nappy and wants it changed every bloody 5 minutes.

3 days ago, he started acting a little strange around the big toilet and now will not go anywhere near it - he says he's scared. We've tried evrything; stickers and stamps if he sits on it; praise; sitting near him and singing; leaving him alone on the toilet; making a big fuss; trying not to make too much of a fuss; rewards of frozen yogurt if he goes etc etc etc.

He has also been more adventurous when it comes to his eating -0 over the last week, he has been eating carrot, celery, lots of different fruit. lettuce and red & orange capsicum.

He is now pooing every 2 days instead of every day and when he does, they are very hard and he cries his little heart out because it hurts! He tries to hold on all day because he doesn't want it to hurt, doesn't want to poo in his nappy and doesn't want to go on the toilet.

It is breaking my heart not being able to help him and I don't want his 'phobia' to get any worse.

Many of you have kids. Can anyone give me any advice as to how I might help relieve my little boy? I'm deperate. :cry:

Thanks, Hayley.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:58 pm

There's obviously a problem there. Did you suddenly change his diet in a big way? All the fruit and veg should be giving him lots of fibre, but maybe it's not the right kind of fibre. Does he get lots of whole grains as well as the fresh fruit and veg kind? If you've drastically increased his fibre intake, have you also increased his water intake as fibre absorbs a lot of water?

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck with it, and if you can't fix it with diet quick smart, go to your doctor. A friend of mine had her baby get constipation and it ended in him tearing his rectum and needing all kinds of medical intervention. :(
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Hayley » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:09 pm

Hey thanks for those suggestions - yes, his diet has changed in a big way because before, he would not touch vegetables and only ate apples, banana or watermelon - now within 2 weeks, he's eating more types of fruit as well as vegetables. I hope his digestive track will get used to it - maybe it's just adjusting?

I'll keep an eye on his water intake, although living in Exmouth where it is 35-42 degress most of the time, he already drinks a lot of water.

That's terrible about your friend's baby and the damage that was done with the constipation. I'll be taking Connor to the hospital tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Hayley

Postby Dolly » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:06 pm

Hi Hayley,
Here's a site about toddlers with constipation - http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/toddler/ ... ation.html
Does your son consume a lot of cows milk or dairy foods? does he drink plenty of water (even flavoured water is good)

hugs
Dolly

Postby Hayley » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:38 pm

Thanks Dolly, I'll take a look.

Cheers.
Hayley

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:46 pm

When my boy doesnt drink lots he gets constipated so i up his intake of water as well as diluted juice . If he has alot of cheese(which he loves ) or milk the same thing happens , u can also try dried fruit or stewed apple as this seems to work well

Hope It helps

Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby emma21 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:15 pm

When I first had my daughter, a nurse told me if she ever got constipated to put some brown sugar in a bottle of water and it should help. In a cup should do the same thing, but you might have to dissolve it in a bit of warm water first.... Thats all I can think of

Emma :)
emma21

Return to Weight loss Talk