It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 am

Free Newsletter

CSIRO Diet Debate

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

CSIRO Diet Debate

Postby Angel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:01 pm

For your information only.

There is a debate about how good the CSIRO diet is because of the high red meat content. The CSIRO diet contains over 1 kg of red meat in a week, where as the governments and Anti-Cancer Councils recommendations is 3-4 times a week at 65g-100g per serve, so a maximum of 400gm.

Also, apparently it has only been tested on women that have the metabolic problem called Syndrome X.

If you are interested, here is the article from today's Sunday Herald-Sun discussing the opinions of Rosemary Stanton, a well-known nutritionist and Dr John Tickell from Celebrity Overhaul.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17757065%255E662,00.html

So be wary. I guess its the same for all new diets that are not yet proven to work long term (if diets work at all).
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:20 am

Yet another reason why I don't like these fad "diets" as they aren't really long term lifestyle changes, but short term stop-gap measures before you go back to your usual routine. I'm currently trying to follow the principle of a wide variety of foods, making as much of it as I can whole grains and pulses and fresh fruit and veg with a little lean meat (mostly chicken and fish).
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:07 pm

Tegan,

I hear ya. I'm another one that doesn't particular like fad diets but some many of us get caught up in the hype, especially if we've tried just about everything. I just wanted to make people aware that it may not be as healthy as it claims.

Sounds like we are taking a similar approach to weight loss. I've also incorporated what I learnt from WW - portions sizes, low fat meals that sort of thing but I'm not counting points - I found this made me focus too much on food - who wants to think about food all the time when they are trying to shift kilos! So far I'm really enjoying the healthy eating (but its only been a week).

Catch you in the forum,
Angel
[/url]
Angel

Postby Dolly » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:48 pm

I agree about not wanting to focus too much on food.
The shorter the time I spend in the kitchen the better off I am.
I just remember that my meat size should be about the size of a pack of cards, I grab lots of raw salad and then I'm outta there.
Fruit bowl is in the loungeroom.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:14 pm

I generally don't eat much meat anyway, but that's a good standfard to remember. Thanks Dolly!!

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:01 pm

I tried the WW point system once. Only lasted about 3 weeks as I worked out that if you ate say meat for example it was a lot of points! So I would fill up on things that were lower in points and then have a splurge at the end of the week and eat some crap to "use" up the saved points! So certainly wasn't the way to go at all. Plus I know it was only 3 weeks but I would have thought I would lose 1/2 kg but never did. The last couple of months my eating habits have got a lot better. I eat a lot more fruit and salads but I still eat too much crap! But I am slowly changing. And a slow change is probably better than a fast one! I guess my biggest downfall with the salad is that I need to put a little dressing on it. Lettuce is just so boring without it! But I only use about 1/2 tablespoon or so of Paul Newmans ceasar dressing. Not the creamy one! I figure better that than not wanting to eat salad cos it is boring! As for the csiro diet, is that the one with that horrid soup for the first few days???? A girl I worked with and I tried it about 2 years ago. The soup was disgusting!!! And for breakfast as well. I didn't even last 24 hours on it! She kept going for a few days but didn't lose any weight either. So we both gave up. Hence eating the whole grains and fruit and veg is the better idea. It's just had to do when you have had years of eating crap.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Angel » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:05 pm

Groovychic,

Here are some ideas for salad dressings to help you eat those salad vegies - have you tried WW salad dressings, they have a caesar - it's not bad, also there is Praise Free dressings - both of these are good for those watching the scales. What about trying 'natural' dressings, like a little olive oil and white vinegar (similar to French dressing) or just plain lemon juice, you could also experiment with a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic and a few of your favourite herbs - tasty. I love cooked green beans with a bit of white vinegar or peas/corn/carrot mix with a little garlic salt - yummy!
[/url]
Angel

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:11 pm

I personally just use plain vinegar most of the time, but I have put my special salad dressing recipe in the recipe section - it's basically a vinegarette with a few extra bits added on.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:11 am

Thanks guys, will give it a whirl!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Hayley » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi guys,

In regards to the CSIRO diet, I too watched the debate and read the article in the paper. I can only speak from my experience wth it... I started the CSIRO back in October and stayed on it for 3 weeks before falling off the wagon, so to speak! The 'level' that was recomended for me suggested that for dinner I eat 4 serves of red meat per week (200g each serve which is 800g red meat in total for a week), 2 x 200g serves fish per week and 1 x 200g serve chicken.

I felt this was too much red meat, so only ate red meat for tea twice a week and had fish and chicken instead, to make up for the rest. In 3 weeks, I lost 4.5 kilos and didn't exercise during that time.

I did not feel hungry or get headaches and felt really good. The only thing I struggled with and probably one of the reasons I stopped, was preparing my lunches to take to work. I have now started on it again, and since starting on Monday, I have already lost 1kg!

Just thought you might want to hear from someone who has done it. I guess it doesn't work for everyone but I find it works for me. I also don't consider it a 'fad' diet but rather a healthy lifestyle change, which is somethging that can be implemented permanently as it contains good quantities of fruits, vegies, fats, dairy etc.

Being on the CSIRO for me, doesn't feel like a diet. When I have tried things such as detox diets or liver cleansing diet etc, I have always been moody, felt tired and experienced terrible headaches. This is yet to happen for me on CSIRO.

What works for one person doesn't always work for another, so good luck on whatever eating plan you're on. Hang in there everyone!

Cheers, Hayley.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Postby Groovychic » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:11 pm

Thats good to hear that it works for you Hayley. I haven't really tried any diets except that soup one and there is no way I could have kept that up. I'll have to catch up with the girl I worked with and see if she is still on the CSIRO one. I really do think the policy is to eat as much unprocessed food as possible. One lady that worked with my sister lost quite a few kilos by having metamucil each day! Didn't change anything else but just had 1 glass (recommended dosage) of metamucil. As for me, if I am trying to be good with what I eat then I am hopeless. I am better off just trying to increase the exercise and not think about eating. I hope you are getting plenty of fruit and vegies up there in Exmouth Hayley. We usually go up there every year for April and the fruit and vegies isn't crash hot and fairly expensive. My sister in law used to own the post office until she passed away 18 months ago and now I don't really want to go back, even tho my nephew is still there. I went back for her anniversary but it was difficult. I know with the fruit and vegies that I eat, I like them to be really nice and not even the slightest bit scummy. I really need to encourage myself to eat it.
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Hayley » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:02 pm

Hi Groovychic,

I'm very sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. I understand why it would be difficult for you to come back here. This is our first year here and we love it. Before here, we lived in Kununurra for 4 years.

In regards to the fruit and vegetables - it is hard at times. Generally, we tend to have propblems with lettuce, capsicum and bananas. The other produce is normally very good throughout the year, however, there are some exceptions!

I have never tried the soup diet for the main reason that I know I would never be able to last on something like that. The CSIRO works for me, so I'll stick to that. I have a container of metamucil on top of my fridge - maybe I'll give that a go! Hee hee.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Return to Weight loss Talk