It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:43 am

Free Newsletter

Why me??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Why me??

Postby esoteric » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:11 am

I have been in a major bummer mood the past two days, and horrible thoughts keep creeping up.

Why can't I eat like normal people? What do normal people eat? Why does a serving size seem so small?

I read someplace that people who are thin, usually just push the food around on their plate and take a bite or two. Can I live like that? Am I setting my expectations up too high?

I really feel like crying for my long lost love (food) and feeling like it doesn't matter what I eat as long as I don't have to look in the mirror or take pictures for that matter.

Ugh what horrible thoughts...

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:10 am

it isreally hard to lose weight and to change your outlook on your lifestyle and make it healthier and happier. you need to take it one step at a time, one small change at a time, one day at a time. if you throw yourself in the deep end you are unlikely to be dealing with your issues with food and unlikely to stick to it for life. has a university thing that helps guide you through many factors which hold us back. our emotions etc. maybe you should have a look at it. its really helpful and helps you come to terms with what you are feeling. remember you arent alone. we are all going through these struggles, but at least we are here together working through these things together. not everyone is the same. i know that i want to lose weight but i dont want to look like victoria beckham who does not eat proper meals. i want to live happily and still enjoy my food but just have a better relationship with it :) *hugs*

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:45 am

I feel the same way as you do and I'm taking it one meal at a time as there are times that I do stuff up (like last night I had two Krispy Kream donuts and pushed my fat and cal intake way over my limit) but I am going to troop along because lets face facts weightloss isn't going to happen over night, its a gradual process.

Anyway I've been trying to get as much information as possible to educate myself on the right way not the fad way to lose the weight. I came across this article and thought it might help you too.

Seven habits of slim people
They seem to eat more than you, yet you're overweight and they effortlessly fit into size 8 jeans. Just how do slim people do it? You assume their irritatingly ideal BMI (Body Mass Index) is due to an accelerated metabolic rate, thin genes or some secret diet they haven't told you about. When, in fact, there is no mystery about how the slim keep their weight under control. Genetics and health certainly play a part, but it's a person's habits that tip the scales in the weight-loss stakes. Look closely and you'll find that most slim people have a simple set of seven lifestyle habits that keep the excess kilos away.

That's because dieting makes you fat, miserable and obsessive. Dieting sends your body into famine mode. Reduced kilojoule intake sends a message to your brain that starvation could be imminent. Your body responds to the threat by lowering your metabolic rate. That means you're not burning kilojoules as efficiently as before. The result — it's easier for you to put on weight and harder to get it off.

Yes, most slim people indulge in the occasional hamburger with the works, dessert and chocolate. That doesn't mean they eat a whole family block every day, but they know the occasional piece isn't going to cause any damage. Exerting huge amounts of willpower trying to resist a banned food usually makes you more obsessive — eventually craving it. The end result is usually a binge. Instead of banning certain foods try telling yourself, "chocolate once in a while is okay and isn't going to cause any problems". This kind of self-talk says I'm watching what I eat but I'm not depriving myself either.

As a general rule, most people in their healthy weight range tend to stop eating, even though they love their food as much as you do, once they feel the edge has been taken off their hunger. They realise they can always have more later — when they're hungry. Try it. Learn to eat when you're hungry and stop when the edge has been taken off your hunger. If you want to eat everything in one go — stop and remind yourself you can eat again when you're hungry. Most people get hunger signals every three or four hours.

It's not normal to think about food morning, noon and night. Yet this is what most people with a weight problem do — and slim people don't. You need to become comfortable with food again. A good place to start is to only think about what you're going to eat when you get hungry. Work out what you're going to have — eat it — and then forget about it. Get out of the habit of analysing your food. Don't count fat grams or kilojoules. If you're tempted, just remind yourself that food is just energy and doesn't require analysis. Then when you have finished eating, get back into whatever it was you were doing before.

A lot of people use food to help them deal with emotional problems. If you think you might be an emotional overeater you need to uncover which emotions trigger a splurge. Ask yourself next time you're going to binge what you're really feeling. Are you angry, stressed, down? Once you know why you overeat you can then focus on constructive ways to resolve your problems once and for all.

Research shows that today's increase in obesity is due to our sedentary lifestyles. Cars, lifts, elevators, office work are largely to blame. You need to counteract the negative effects your lifestyle might be having on your body. Walk instead of driving. Use the stairs instead of the elevator or lift and spend an afternoon walking around the shops. Just think the next time you use the Internet to buy your groceries that shopping burns 84 kilojoules every 10 minutes.

For a lot of slim people, eating well and getting plenty of exercise is a way of life. If they're putting on weight they don't suddenly claim, "Today I'm starting a new diet" and make it as far as lunchtime before giving up. Most slim people don't believe the latest fad diet or wonder weight loss pill has the answers to staying in shape. To regulate your body weight a series of lifestyle habits has to be created to support health and weight loss.

Article prepared by Jennifer Garth, psychologist.

Here is the link if you want to go have a squiz at other interesting articles:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!

Postby yummymummy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:15 pm

very interesting bella, I have a shocking relationship with food and can never keep my weigh stable :?

Postby BusyMum » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:22 pm

Thanks for that read Bella. I printed it off so I can read and re-read it lol. I can see after reading that though, why i am not a slim person;
1. I diet
2. I eat junk.
4. I am really obsessed with food
5. I also DEFINATELY abuse food
6. I dont exercise
7. I wouldnt say I dont enjoy my life. I have a wonderful partner and 2 fantastic children. But I dont enjoy what I see in the mirror and I how I feel about that.

They are ALL things i need to work on though, and I am sure I will get there one day :)
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

Postby lng86 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:37 pm

I definitely think that you should follow Kate's idea and look at calorie king. Good thinking, Kate! Also... look at an example of a meal plan on the website. I think you could be surprised by the amount of food that will fit into your limit. None of us live on carrot sticks and water 100% of the time. Lite and easy is also a good suggestion... They show you appropriate portion sizes and are extremely yummy. Maybe you should give it a try for a week or so? It may teach you a lot!

Best wishes,
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)

Postby sandrah » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:23 pm

i also know how you feel!
i have this week discovered the calorie king website and have found the daily calorie counter/exercise counter very helpful-for some reason i have been able to plan what i am going to eat-and what exercise i am going to do and stick to it-i have found it really easy and feel great for doing so at the end of the day. give it a go-it has taken my mind off dreaming about the things i am missing and given me more motivation to reach my goal..

Postby dietcoke » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:35 pm

I totally agree. Calorie King is so helpful. It makes me think about my food intake and exercise so I don't overeat without realising it. It also gives me something to do when I'm bored which means I don't raid the fridge.

Postby Fireball » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:12 pm

Thank you for raising this Esoteric. You describe exactly how I feel. I do think being involved in this forum has helped a lot as people share lots of information and give positive support. Good luck

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Postby esoteric » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:12 am

Thanks for that interesting information, I am glad someone can relate to how I feel. I try not to center my life around eating, but sometimes I feel like how can I not help it, when its growling at me. lol

Re: Why me??

Postby help6363 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:57 am

esoteric wrote:I have been in a major bummer mood the past two days, and horrible thoughts keep creeping up.

Why can't I eat like normal people? What do normal people eat? Why does a serving size seem so small?

I read someplace that people who are thin, usually just push the food around on their plate and take a bite or two. Can I live like that? Am I setting my expectations up too high?

I really feel like crying for my long lost love (food) and feeling like it doesn't matter what I eat as long as I don't have to look in the mirror or take pictures for that matter.

Ugh what horrible thoughts...

Can I tell you somthing that helped me?

I am an emotional eater....... the GOOD news is that if you are an emotional eater then you can solve these problems.

Here's how I did it....... I wrote down everytime I wanted to eat things or too much and I found a pattern. I eat fatty foods when I feel insecure, chocolate when I feel upset and so forth. I then replaced my old habbits with new habbits. For instance, now when I feel sad, I don't eat chocolate but I write in my journal.

A friend of mine goes to meetings called Overeaters's FREE and they are in the phone book. They have meetings for people who overeat or binge eaters. I don't really know too much about the group but if you like the souind of it you could give them a call.

I know this whole weight loss journey is so hard but I know you CAN DO IT!

I cannot wait to read your successful weight loss story in the near future!

Chin up....... make exercise and water your new friends, what do ya think?

Postby Zero » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:16 pm

I think maybe its the way you view food. Calling it your "long lost love" is just going to make you crave it even more....

I know this is very easy for me to say because i have never been passionate about food, because its just food, but maybe start loving something else?

I love music and my bass guitar. I love mosh pits. I also love shoes.

Try finding something complimentary to your weightloss to love. Like swimmers! or going bushwalking! or something like that.
Start Weight (from beginning): 71
Current Weight: 63.00
Weight lost so far: 8.00
Goal Weight: 55.00

8 kilos left.

Postby GwenFan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:31 pm

I know how you feel. I was only sitting at my desk today (probably dreaming about doughnuts) and I thought "Can I really live like this?".

I dont have an option. Heart disease, diabetes, some cancers.....I keep going the way I am, thats what is going to happen.

9 Months of hard work compared to the rest of my life......thats how I keep plodding along.....

Return to Weight loss Talk