It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:30 am

Free Newsletter

Is it just me???

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it just me???

Postby vanessa0305 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:03 pm

Today my hubby and I were introduced to someone we didn't know. The person who introduced us says "Vanessa has recently lost more than 35kgs!" Now I know she was being nice and is proud of me. But does everyone in the world need to know I was overweight? Am I ever to be seen as just a normal sized person? It happens all the time. John does it, my parents do it and my f-i-l does it too. I hate it. Why do they need to advertise my weightloss and the fact I was so overweight? It embarrasses me!!!
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby oostevens » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:06 pm

maybe they see it as a great feat :) something to be proud of and maybe they are proud of you :) you have done soo well :)

but i agree it would get annoying specially as an introduction, thats a tad weird hehe

but yeah i recon its cos they are proud of ya :)

if it worries ya, ask them to not bring it up or at least not right away :p or let u tell people :p

sorry, hope that helps
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:02 pm

i think theyre just really proud of you vanessa. :) as we are :)

i think that some people who have lost weight are happy to be known as someone who has achieved such a wonderful thing. others like to forget about that time in their lives and move on with their new selves. i know personally that i am happy to be known that i have lost weight, it reminds me of how strong i am and it reminds me that i am still the same person as i was before i lost the weight
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi Vanessa,
I'm sure you are proud of having lost weight, but I can totally understand that being introduced as "the lady who lost weight" woudld be a bit degrading. They probably don't even realise they are doing it. If you don't feel comfortable bringing the subject up you could always turn it into a joke and the next time it happens say

"yeah, and I'm even a nice person too..."

or something. The offending person will probably feel a little embarassed, and you are indicating you have a sense of humour to the new person

Or you could say

" yes and John here has taken up the albran challenge to keep himself more regular - it's working too, he's been twice today!!"

But that would be if you were feeling particularly offensive
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Fireball » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:53 pm

I would love to lose the 35 kg so someone could say that! Congratulations on your great weight loss, :) but I do think it is demeaning to be constantly raised. It is like they think that is the most importatnt thing about you. If you can discuss with them how you feel without getting too upset, it would be good to remind/ inform them of some of your other many good points/successes. Maybe they are trying to be supportive thinking it helps lift your morale - I'm sure many people are aware that it is difficult to lose weight, but also to keep it off.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Jisgone » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:55 pm

my bf does the same and i completely understand! i hate it too, he doesnt tell them what im studying at uni or even how old i am, just the fact that i was once 125kgs
men just have noooooooooo tact
Jisgone

Re: Is it just me???

Postby help6363 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:01 am

vanessa0305 wrote:Today my hubby and I were introduced to someone we didn't know. The person who introduced us says "Vanessa has recently lost more than 35kgs!" Now I know she was being nice and is proud of me. But does everyone in the world need to know I was overweight? Am I ever to be seen as just a normal sized person? It happens all the time. John does it, my parents do it and my f-i-l does it too. I hate it. Why do they need to advertise my weightloss and the fact I was so overweight? It embarrasses me!!!

I am sorry it embarrasses you........ they are just proud!

I am a big show off....I go around telling every second person how much weight I have lost and everyone tells me to stop talking about it.

I think they are proud of you! It's a great achievement.

Have you told them you don't like it?
help6363

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:25 am

Im sure he's just proud of what a huge loss you have had and what a huge achievement that is ;)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Return to Weight loss Talk