It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:59 am

Free Newsletter

Bit of a slump .

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Bit of a slump .

Postby ISparkyI » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:14 am

G'day all

Have lost a fair bit of weight but am now starting to slip into some old routines . . just wondering what you do to overcome them as I dont want to go back to what I used to do . .

Any way of sparking back the interest and enthusiasm ?

Shaun
Nothing Ventured . . Nothing Gained . . .

ISparkyI

Postby Carly » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:10 am

Hi Shaun,

I, like you, have lost a lot of weight, but have found the last couple of weeks very difficult. I have not slipped back into old habits, I am just not being as good as I was. I think the reason I have not slipped back lies in my constantly reminding myself of how unhappy I was. I figure, better to be this size even if it is still too big, than to be as big as I was. And getting here was hard, hard work. While I am not eating crap again, I am eating a little more than I probably should, but I am eating healthier things than I would have a year ago. I have put a picture of myself on the fridge, of the way I was before I lost my weight and the way I am now and that has often stopped me from grabbing food I really dont want.

I guess you have to really think about why you started this in the first place. Think about some of the nice reactions you have received from people. Think about how good it makes you feel to have acheived so much. And then, think about how fantastic you will feel when you finally reach your goal. You are not far off now... another month or two and you will be at your goal. I am sure it has taken you much longer to acheive what you have already.

The only other thing I can think of is that you should not beat yourself up for having lost some motivation or struggling a little. You have done a great job so far and should be feeling nothing but proud of yourself. Finding it hard this week or this month does not change how much you have acheived and forgiving yourself now may allow you to push past the tough patch and get right back to it.

Congratulations on what you have acheived so far. And good luck!!

Carly
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl9ppYR/]
[/url]
Carly

Postby vanessa0305 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:11 am

Do you read some of the slimming and fitness magazines? When my inspiration drops I find buy a few of these magazines can get me fired up again. But then again being so close to were I want to be seems to have me slacking off a bit in the food side of things...exercise is great though. So I might need to take some of my own advice!!

Do you have a outfit you desperately want to wear? Or a photo of where you were and where you want to be? Sometimes these help to get the motivation back up.

What are you going to do for yourself when you hit goal? Maybe writing it out in big letters and putting it on the fridge where you can see it might help too.

Good luck, I am sure it will all come back, I went through it a number of times mostly when I plateaued.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:03 am

hey shaun musta been that trip to canberra hehe. blame the girl!! LOL just kidding, yes i noticed myself slipping back to old habits earlier in the year and i sort of ignored it thinking that i couldnt possibly go back to where i was to begin with and my clothes still fit... well sorta LOL. what i found helped was taking a good hard look at myself. looking at this forum day in and out i would feel embarrassed by how well everyone else was doing and i was letting myself slip big time! surround yourself with inspirational people in either real life or on this forum it will really help. start doing some planning- food diaries and exercise diaries, pledges etc.

best wishes shaun :)
kate_turner2000

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am

Wish I could help you Shaun but I am a long way to reaching my desired weight and I struggle daily with emotional eating.

The only thing I can suggest is that you draw up a pros and cons list.

In the pros section write everything that has motivated you to lose the weight and how it makes you feel and how your life has changed.

In the cons section write up all the things you hate about being overweight, all the pitfalls, the inability to do things, slowly killing yourself (ie higher chance of heart disease), the unhappiness you felt/feel.

Compare these and decide whether you want to go back to your old lifestyle. I can guarantee you don't and from this you'll draw inspiration.

Also, if your getting a bit bored with your eating and exercising change it up. There are lots of great healthy low fat/low GI cook books out there with some yummy recipes - start making different meal choices so you don't get bored.

Mix your exercise around a bit too. If its getting a bit monotonous do something different.

Put up heaps of photos of your old self and being facing them you'll know in yourself that you'll never want to get back to were you where.

Hope you find your mojo back. You are so close to reaching your goal :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:18 am

Hi Shaun, I had a bit of a sump (bit...more like 1 year) and started slipping back into old habits and gained 4kg. I'm just starting to round that corner and I THINK what helped me was a change in mindset (i had also gone back to Uni and was struggling emotionally) and a bit of a change in routine - I got into jogging as well as cycling.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby ISparkyI » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:22 am

Yeah think it might have been the canberra trip . . me and the girl have decided to call it quits due to the distance factor so I am thinking that has something to do with it . .

Oh well think the best thing to do is remember that summer is coming and I wanna be able to go down the beach without anything hanging out to badly and get some sun on the bod . .

Cheers for the advice guys . . thats why Im here . .

Shaun

ISparkyI

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:24 pm

aw thats no good about the girl and yourself shaun, i can understand the distance things, it makes it hard. i was in a long distance relationship for 2 years and in the end he ended up cheating on me - an awful way for things to end thats for sure. i am sure you will be back into the swing of things with your healthy lifestyle before you know it :)
kate_turner2000

Postby mel74 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:47 pm

argghh... distance relationships!

Mine fell apart on monday. Which is i huge shame because he was a great guy.

Shaun, there is a theory says that the best way to bring about innovation is to behave in a totally random way. So if you feel a pattern coming, why not challenge it and do something completely different. You might find yourself on a newer better, more exciting path.

Are you comforting yourself with these old patterns? You do deserve TLC this week but just make sure you are really looking after yourself, doing what's in your best interests not just what makes you feel better right now.

Chin up.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCGMto5/]
[/url]

"Lean into your fears. Dare them to do their worst and SHRED them when they try"
-Richard Bach
mel74

Postby Misstoodles » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:32 am

Sometimes I really need to have a talk to myself. It's amazing just how large the effort seems on a daily basis, but you look at all the days behind you that you've been strong and look how much of a difference it has made - and has it honestly been -that- hard?

I just need to keep reminding myself that the longer I don't put in the effort, the longer it's going to take me to do this.. how many more months do I really want to be un-happy with how I look?

I understand now, and it took me such a long time, that its the time of -deciding- what you're going to do that is the hardest. You really need to try and resist as soon as the opportunity to eat more strikes. The longer I let the devil and angel on my shoulders battle it out, the weaker I seem to get. So I do things like drink a few glasses of water, or jump on the net and check out this forum, go out for a walk; Anything to distract me from the food and I find most times I don't really want it afterwards anyway.

Exercise-wise the same thing applies to me. If I think 'I should exercise soon' I never really get around to it, so to make sure I definately get my exercise in each day, I chuck my clothes on, grab my phone and mp3 player and hit the pavement before I've given myself time to procrastinate. Sleeping in is the worst thing ever for me.
Misstoodles

Postby Misstoodles » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:42 am

Im also sorry to hear about that : (

I was in a long-distance relationship for 2 years, and was in it for the long run. I didn't know for a long time I was being cheated on, it took me a long time to recover from that, then right in the middle of me getting stuck into losing weight he emailed me to tell me he was marrying her. I completely fell apart, but for the first time managed to keep my weight within a few kilos of what it was, and am now losing it again!

I let my hurt and anger fuel me to exercise and eat right now, instead of slowly letting myself slip into old ways.

:) You'll look fantastic by Summer, think of what Christmas photos will feel like!
Misstoodles

Postby ISparkyI » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:04 am

Thanks a lot for your advice guys honestly.

I have snapped out of it now and am looking at the bigger picture and have got the gym bug back.

Setting myself a new target as well . . I have a couple of shirts that are still too big and want to be able to fit into them . . instead of always worrying about weight, thought I would go for a new target.

The long distance thing ended okay, but I am sure I will meet someone else soon.

Thanks again

Shaun

ISparkyI

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:29 am

Misstoodles wrote:I just need to keep reminding myself that the longer I don't put in the effort, the longer it's going to take me to do this.. how many more months do I really want to be un-happy with how I look?

Reading this made me jump to attention :D

What you say is so true. Only we can achieve what we desire and to achieve what we desire, we have to put in the effort...and that means getting out butts moving and shaking :D :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:52 am

ISparkyI wrote:Thanks a lot for your advice guys honestly.

I have snapped out of it now and am looking at the bigger picture and have got the gym bug back.

Setting myself a new target as well . . I have a couple of shirts that are still too big and want to be able to fit into them . . instead of always worrying about weight, thought I would go for a new target.

The long distance thing ended okay, but I am sure I will meet someone else soon.

Thanks again

Shaun

LOL dont you mean you have a few shirts too small? good on you for getting back on the wagon shaun :) you're body will thank you for it :)
kate_turner2000

Postby ISparkyI » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:01 pm

:D thats exactly what I meant

Couple of shirts too small . . you knew what I was on about ya bugger :lol:

ISparkyI

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk