It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:04 pm

Free Newsletter

Setting a Goal Weight

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Setting a Goal Weight

Postby Fireball » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:13 am

I've heard so much about losing weight I'm feeling confused about what a realistic long term weight should be. My goal weight is 70kg which is outside (higher than) the recommended weight range for my height. I am 165cm high, used to have a muscular build. I do remember hearing things about how you need to set a higher weight as you get older, if you have dieted etc. so I wanted to be relaistic. I love the idea of being healthy and lean but I'm also really worried about having lots of excess skin and looking so gross that it puts me off losing weight. It also scares me from setting a lower weight. :( Help

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Ally » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:22 am

Hey there.....I have also read somewhere about different goal weights for different age groups, but I cannot lay my hand on it at the moment.....I think the best thing to do is assess your weight as it comes off, you may get to 75kg and decide that you are comfortable with your weight or you may want to get to 70kg....I think it is easy for people to say "oh you should be this weight" etc, but the important thing to remember is it is your body and in reality there is no perfect weight for everyone...we are all different.

So to cut the ramble ( :oops: ) I would say assess your goals as you go along....keep the one main goal, but just be flexible in amending those goals as you go.

As for the excess skin, not everybody is left with it and it can be minimised by exercising as you are losing weight. I have a fear of excess skin too, but it is one of the more unfortunate side effects of shedding weight....I have come to terms with it now and have the attitude that I would rather be left with excess skin than be obese. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:22 am

hi!!!!

all i can suggest is that you take it in 10kg lots. once you lose 10kg reevaluate and do another 10kg. as you lose weight and get closer to the healthy bmi range you will know where you want to stop. my goal last year was 70kg which i reached and my healthy bmi is 68kg but i felt comfy at 70kg, i like having some weight on me because i look good with curves. when you get to a stage you feel good at then you will know.
kate_turner2000

Postby Carly » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:26 am

Hello,

It is very tricky with so much information out there that more often than not contradicts the last thing you read. At my thinest I would still have been considered overweight by the BMI system, but I remember feeling fantastic, looking fantastic, and receiving endless questions about how I maintain such great shape. I am quite tall, approx. 175cm, so I can carry a bit more weight and disguise it well. I based my goal on what I remember and I remember feeling great at 85kg. 85kg would still class me as overweight according to the BMI but I know 85 works well for me and the goal itself, although daunting when I started has become exciting now, it is within reach and that inspires me more and more.

I think you have to make the decision on your own, you know your body, you know what you want so base your goal on that. And don't forget if you set a goal and acheive it, there is nothing stopping you from continuing on if you want to, if you think that a little more lost would be better.

Also, although I set my long term goal as 85kg, I have always used mini goals to get me through. My frist goal was 11kg to take me down under 130kg. Then it was another 11kg to take me down below 120kg. When I hit 113kg things got a little harder. I had to work much harder to move the weight so I started setting smaller goals. The smaller goal meant I was acheiving success more regularly which kept me motivated and inspired to keep going. Having to wait weeks / months to acheive the next goal would have worn me down in the end I think.

Sorry I have no clear cut answer for you. I hope I have helped a little though.

Carly
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl9ppYR/]
[/url]
Carly

Postby vanessa0305 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:41 am

Hi there, I have had many goal weights on my journey. When I first decided on a goal I really had no idea. I had never been thin before so I didn't know what my normal weight would be. So I set my goal for 75kgs. This would leave me in the overweight section but It was a realistic goal that I thought I could achieve. When I was nearing 75kgs I knew I wanted to lose a bit more so I lowered my goal to 72kgs. When I got near that I knew I wanted to lose just a little bit more. So I set my goal to 69kgs. Now I am under that and I think I may want to lose a little bit more but I am happy where I am so I haven't changed my goal. I am not putting pressure on myself to lose more. If it happens because I maintain a healthy lifestyle thats great but if not....I look pretty good where I am!!
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby ali » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:02 am

I agree with the other guys, I think just set yourself a realistic and achievable goal, and when you get close to it, reassess it. Thats what Im doing. My lowest weight was about 55kgs but it was so long ago that I cant remember what I looked like! So Ive set my ticker to 53kg (I want to be able to wear a bikini and be comfortable) but Im planning on reassessing my goal when I get to about 55kg. I might want to stay there or lose a few more kgs. Im not sure. I know I want to fit into a size10 bardot jeans (they are smaller sizes and I cant get into the 12 atm!) so weight is more of a motivational goal rather than a set in stone figure that I want to reach. Also, I may find that Ive put on muscle which makes me weigh more on the scales but I might still fit into my dream jeans, so it all depends...

If your still unsure, maybe speak to you GP about it. Tell him your goal and ask whether he thinks that is about right or if you should weigh more/less.

Anyway, enough rambling! :oops: Goodluck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby JL77 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:09 pm

I agree with the other girls. I used to make big sums of weight loss goals and each time I would fail.

You can see in my signature I have broken it down to little goals of 5 - 10 kilos. This has made it so much easier for me and I am still positive about getting back down.

All you can do is your best. I hope this doesnt sound to negative but just try to aim little at the start as when you reach your first goal it gives you great motivation to keep going :D
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby sassi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:20 pm

i set my goal as a bit of a compromise - enough to take me into the healthy bmi range (even though i know it's not the be all & end all) and something that i still felt was realistic.

it does feel kind of overwhelming though and i've been thinking for the last week that i should change my ticker to a smaller goal. but i'm undecided because i don't want to lose sight of the overall goal! i might just put my next 'challenge' (which at the moment is to get under 90) in my sig as well.

i think if you're losing the weight slowly (i.e. .5-1kg a week) the chance of excess skin is far less than if you lose it quickly? especially if you're incorporating toning exercises into your regime.

i don't see anything wrong with your goal - as vanessa said, you can always reassess it as you get closer!

good luck :)
sassi

Postby Fireball » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:55 am

Thanks for all your thoughts and tips. I will leave it how it is and reassss when I get there. I remember being 56kg and my sister asking if I had anorexia. lol I will also try to weight graduadually.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby ali » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:10 am

Lol, yeah it all depends with weight, some ppl look heavier than they are and others look skinnier than they are. Ppl used to be surprised when mym mum used to say she weighed 52kg because they all thought she should weigh heaps less, lol. I dont know why tho, anyless and there wouldnt be anything left of her! Lol.

Im really short so at 64kg my bmi was 25 and i wanted to curb my bad eating habits before I got into the overweight range, so for me, 53kg isn't an unrealistic goal, because I am really short!

Good luck with it! Slow and steady wins the race so thats the best way to do it. It also means there is more chance the weight will stay off, which is what we all want!

Good luck! :D :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Return to Weight loss Talk