It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:28 am

Free Newsletter

How and when do you exercise?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How and when do you exercise?

Postby Carly » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:41 am

Hi all,

I was just wondering what you all do for exercise and when you do it?

When I set out on my journey I was morbidly obese and ashamed so I had to find a way to exercise in comfort and for me that meant where no one could see me. So I spent some money on a Playstation 2 and the Dance Factory game and mat. This meant I could get moving without feeling uncomfortable and like a spectacle. The dance mat has worked a treat for me. In the past I have failed at losing weight for many reasons but one of them was how much I hated exercise. I was always so focused on what I was doing, exercising, that I did not enjoy it at all and always stopped. But this time, I was distracted from the exercising, I was focused on winning the game, improving my performance and seeing just how much I could do. I would come off the mat all red in the face, sweating and huffing and puffing, but I survived because I was distracted from what I was doing, I felt more like I was playing a game and having fun than eexercising to lose the horrible weight. It has been fantastic. I have increased the amount and the intensity over the months, starting at 8 songs each time, then 12, and I am at 24 songs in the evening and 8 in the morning now. I have also added hand weights (total of 4kg) for half of that time.

As fantastic as this has been for me, I think I may be getting a little bored. Dance factory allows you to use your own music and despite that, I am a little beyond it now. Having never enjoyed any kind of exercise until now, I do not really know what is out there for me to do aside from the obvious walking etc. So I thought I would ask all of you what do you and when do you do it?

Sorry for the lengthy post...
Carly
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl9ppYR/]
[/url]
Carly

Postby corolla_chick » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:48 am

hi Carly,
I try and walk with a buddy, it keeps me more motivated.
I also play badminton one night a week. its lots of fun and it didnt matter that i was just a beginner.
Hope you find something that you enjoy and congrats on your loss so far.
Beck :D
beck :D

corolla_chick

Postby HappyBella55 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:03 pm

Hi Carly,

I walk and do aerobics videos at home.

You could try some workout dvd is the idea of working out in public still scares you a little. they are great, lots of fun and you don't even realise an hour has gone by.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:15 pm

if the weather is nice i walk in the mornings, i will also walk for an hour at night, if its not nice weather i will do my exercise bike and dvds at home usually midday when heidi is having a nap or of a night when she has gone to bed. i also invested in a skipping rope recently too :)
kate_turner2000

Postby shelbel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:48 pm

I do the walk away the pounds DVDs and walk outside on the weekends, when its not raining that is! I would suggest exercise dvds too, there's heaps of different types from dancing to kick boxing im sure you'd find something you like!

PS that playstation game sounds fun! Do they have something like that for xbox??
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby oostevens » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:08 pm

hey Carly :)

The man and i rented an exercise bike, a treadmil and a crosstrainer.

We work out at night (usually before dinner) in teh comfort of our own home :)

I do 3kms on the treadmil, and crunches, pushups, tricep dips, weights and skipping :)

If you love music, whatever you do, have music on :) Its helped me out, as I am a music buff!

Welcome and good luck matey
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby lng86 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:08 pm

I go to the gym. I have a trainer who has become more like a friend to me. I love challenging myself. There is nothing more wonderful than the feeling of making the weights heavier... Or walking just a little bit faster. You feel like you have accomplished something huge!

I wish you lived on the North Shore in Sydney. I'd be your buddy - we practically weigh the same amount!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby Carly » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your responses. Lots of inspiration!!

Shelbel, I know that there is the Dance Dance Revolution for xbox, but I think that one is a little limited in that you can only use the music it comes with, whereas the Dance Factory for Playstation 2 allows you to insert your own music and it generates the moves for each individual song. I could be wrong, but I think Dance Dance Revolution was available on Playstation also, so you might find that Dance Factory has been released for both too. It is good fu and a great work out especially if at first if you have never played something like that before!

Thank you all again!!

Carly
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl9ppYR/]
[/url]
Carly

Postby JL77 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:03 pm

I am not a big exceriser, I know you got to make it a piority of weight loss but I cant seem to get into the heavy stuff, but at least I do do some things.

I try to a few times a week walk the dog for about 20-25 min. I started walking but now hubby comes with us so I walk and sometimes jog part of the way

I play netball once a week

thats mainly it, but I used to do dvd's and ride the bike each day.
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby sassi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:11 pm

i used to play a fair bit of sport back when i was at school. i was never skinny but i was in the 60's and i was pretty fit. i played hockey mostly and a bit of badminton.

i love the way exercising makes me feel & how i feel afterwards but i've become a bit reclusive about it all. i don't mind playing hockey but i didn't play this winter season (for other reasons). i mostly go for walks in the evening, ride the exercise bike (either morning or night) or do an exercise dvd at home in the mornings before work. i also have a punching bag & some 3 & 5kg weights that i use occasionally as well.
sassi

Postby loveat116 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi!

I go to a gym in town 3 times a weeks to do my weights routine.

And I have another membership at a gym where I do my cardio, about 3-4 times a week.

And i sometimes go for walks in the morning, or go for a bike ride/hike.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby shelbel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanx for the info carly, i might look into it, it sounds like great fun! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby chubba momma » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:25 pm

That dance thingey sounds awesoem i might have to look into that!

My main exercise is walking and more walking. I have 2 kids so whatever i do has to be compatiable with them. Lokking into a exercise bike (and eventually) a treadmill. I am aslo going to brave teh public and start by doing a small jog up the street and see how i go :D
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:59 pm

yeah that dance thing looks coool i should keep an eye out for the xbox one!
kate_turner2000

Postby Bread-Monster » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:01 am

When I first started on the fitness journey, I would walk for 2 hours in the morning before breakfast and jog 30 minutes in the evening before dinner. I then did a lot of swimming, I joined went to the gym, I ran around university, did army stuff and do handstands against the wall at home.

I enjoy exercise, all I can think about is how lovely it is to sweat the poison from my system, be it badfood or bad emotions.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk