It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:59 pm

Free Newsletter

Girly Rewards

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Girly Rewards

Postby Carly » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Hi again,

I didn't realise I had so many questions and so many unexplored feelings about losing weight until I found this forum. I guess I always felt alone in my journey and so I kept a lot of it to myself... I am grateful to have come across this...

Anyway, onto my question....

Having been a BIG girl for most of my life, I have never taken any real pride in my appearance. My Mum is not a girly girl either so I was never introduced to make up or anything really girly at all I guess. Now that I am losing weight and starting to feel better about myself I want to start buying good quality cosmetics and things to pamper myself and hopefully enhance the positive feelings I am starting to feel. I have always just gone to Target and bought cheap make up and hair product etc, but I want good stuff now. I have worked hard and I think I deserve it. Having said that though, I do not even know where to start looking. Which brands are good quality and where do I go to get them? Aside from make up, hair product and clothes, what else do you buy that makes you feel great and pampered?

I must sound a little odd to need to ask such things, but as I mentioned earlier, I have always hidden away from the world and truly believed that there was nothing out there that would make me feel any better, and that I didn't deserve to be pampered. I deserve it now... any info would be greatly appreciated.

Feeling a little embarrassed,
Carly
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl9ppYR/]
[/url]
Carly

Postby lng86 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:31 pm

Don't feel embarrassed at all. I actually love your questions!!!

Spending money on good quality products is worth it, completely. My advice to you is to go into Myer or David Jones and get one of the make up brands to give you a make over. MAC and Napolean and Dior seem to be my favourite... But it depends completely on the look you are going for. They will advise you on what suits your skin... Including bases... And colours etc. Most of them cost about $60 but it is redeemable for goods... So works out to be free! You could even try Estee Lauder? They sometimes have the gift packs! Having your make up done by a professional is great because they know exactly what they are doing and they teach you how to do it for yourself (Napolean does this - even include a step by step guide to take home).

Going to a beautician and having a facial is the most pampering thing I can think of. It can include so many things... And generally they can be personally tailored. Ella Bache offers a deal where if you book a treatment 3+ hrs it includes a free gourmet lunch. When I reach my goal weight I am going to take my trainer with me and go to a day spa for the entire day... And get facials... And massages etc. Can't wait!!! That is my inspiration!

I also get my nails done every 3 weeks and a pedicure every 6. But it depends what you personally like! I wish you lived closer... We could pamper ourselves together.

My idea for you is to have double digits to be your goal... And that when you reach this goal to book an appointment to have a manicure and pedicure done... followed by your make up. Then go out with the girls and have some fun!!!

Sorry... I could be here for hours talking about this topic!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby vanessa0305 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:52 pm

I have to admit I could have written your post. I never really took too much pride in my appearance. Clean and tidy was all I wanted to achieve. But now I want so much more. I haven't even gone into the make up side of things yet. I have never worn makeup up till now and am not sure where to start. Some of things I have done...

*jewelry: For some reason I have lots of jewelry given to me as pressies over the years but never wore any of it. Now I get up in the morning and put on my gold watch, my beautiful belcher chain padlock bracelet and gold and diamond cross necklace. Fore some reason putting it on makes me feel more feminine.

*Nails: I bought a special all natural manicure set. it buffs up your nails so they shine as if they had nail polish on, and I am learning how to shape them. I also trim and paint my toe nails too!

*Hair: I went to a hairdresser for the first time in almost 3 years recently to get my hair coloured. I am going to go back soon to get some foils or something as well.

*Teeth: My big goal reward was to get my teeth fixed and I have started getting it done. So I bought myself an electric toothbrush to take care of them.

*bodyhair: I now shave and wax everything so I am always beautifully groomed. I moisturise my legs after shaving and my elbows because they get dry.

*facecare: I use a good moisturiser for my face after I clean it now, never used to worry before.

*Shoes: I just bought my first pair of summer high heels....now I just have to learn how to walk in them lol!

There is lots more, like what I wear to the gym and such but its a good start, wish I could get a handle on make up though!!!!
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:48 pm

hey carly

its great that you are starting to take pride in your appearance. :) i now spend my money on avon. do you know ive never owned a perfume in my life!? so i am going to buy myself 'curious; by britney spears. i have really good and expensive jewellery which i am starting to wear again because it sorta got put in a cupboard and i didnt wear it for ages. i enjoy having bubbles baths and will spend up big on bath stuff hehe.

as for clothes and makeup etc i cant afford to spend money on that sort of thing due to being a mum and being on one income. but i always keep an eye out for things id like to buy if i come into some money.
kate_turner2000

Postby Bread-Monster » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:58 pm

I've only recently started taking an interest in my appearance as well. I have replaced knee length bum shorts, tshirts 50 sizes too big and runners to proper fitting jeans, tshirts, combat pants and proper shoes.

I even started moisturising morning and night and brushing my hair every other day. I even bought a lipstick from the body shop. It was on special for $4 and it was the perfect colour! i love the body shop.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby madeline » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:39 pm

My top girly indulgences :wink:

1) I get my nails done, not (acrylics or gels) just a simple clean french manicure, every couple of weeks

2) Pilates and yoga classes... trust me, they'll make you so flexible, improve your posture and make you positively GLOW

3) Flowers... if you have a bf, hint! Otherwise just pick up a fresh bunch of long stemmed flowers for yourself, and arrange them at home

4) Massage, especially legs and back is divine <3 Even do it yourself with some fragrant moisturiser, it improves circulation too

5) Mascara, the best are estee lauder, lancome and actually some of the maybelline mascaras are great. There's almost no way you can stuff it up, and it gives you a healthy, wide-eyed look

6) Gorgeous fabric for clothes, silk and cashmere especially. It just feels so nice on your skin, and makes you feel glamourous. Sexy satin camisoles feel great, with cute soft slipper socks for warmth :)
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby Misstoodles » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:31 am

My advice would be to go to either Myers (or if you're like me and often find it very uncomfortable there because of the staff) then a pharmacy that has people contracted out from the different quality make-up companies is good too.

Just head to one and be honest, say you're not used to using make-up and you're looking for a make-over that you won't have any problems applying and wearing. Something to make you feel more feminine without going over the top.

I've found Clinique have some great products. I suggest you try a few different companies over a couple of weeks to see what products stand out to you, and not to be pressured into purchasing anything just because they've given you a make-over.

Also dont forget to check the paper for promos! they come up really often and tend to have great deals like if you spend a certain amount you get a bag with this that and the other in it. They can save you quite a bit of money and it's an awesome way of discovering new products.

: ) Good luck with all of this. It's really fun once you get into it.
Misstoodles

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:18 pm

I reckon its good to reward yourself. You have to. Makes it all worthwhile, the hard work.

N
Nancy

Postby Ally » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:57 pm

I am the same Carly and after struggling with the same thing for years it is still hard to come to terms that I am worth the effort....

My mum is the same as yours, not into girly things and I always made sure that my girls had a firm balance because of it.....they have "girly" stuff, but also know how to get out there and enjoy getting dirty too!! LOL

I do still suffer from "mother guilt" though and tend to still not spend money on myself (my hubby usually gets cranky with me if I don't indulge myself) as I feel I could be buying something for the children or even for Scott.....

The ladies have given you some pretty good ideas to run with there...I am on a strict budget, so I tend to go small at the moment (a face cleanser or hair products/bands etc) until things improve for us a bit, but it doesn't matter how small or the big the reward is as long as we remember to indulge ourselves!! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Carly » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:04 pm

I just wanted to drop you all a quick message to say thank you. Firstly for not laughing at me and secondly for making me feel totally ok about not knowing anything about "girly rewards". This weekend I am going to go and get my first make over, and I will do that each weekend until I find what I like to buy for myself. Just getting a make over seems totally alien to me, and I wll go bright red when I walk in there, but I deserve it right? But I am excited to reward myself and you have all made it a little easier for me to get out there and do it.

Thank you all so much,
Trembling with nerves, but giddy with excitement,
Carly
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl9ppYR/]
[/url]
Carly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:26 pm

oooh enjoy it carly thats really exciting. i hope you take some pics for us to see!!!
kate_turner2000

Postby lng86 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:21 pm

YES you deserve it... You have lost 38kg!!!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby madeline » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm

oh my gosh yes! post some before and afters, how exciting! :D
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby Lush Gal » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:56 am

OF COURSE YOU DESERVE A MAKE OVER!!!!

Don't worry about feeling embarrassed either - the girls that do this are professionals and will likely be really excited to show off their skills!

I'm sure you will look gorgeous, let us know how it goes!

My big girly indulgences since starting to 'look after myself' are gel overlay nails. basically it's called a forever french, I go every three weeks and at $40 it's my treat. My nails look perfect all the time (no chipping etc).

I've also started wearing jewellery again (after 15 years of no earrings!) and I feel so much more stylish.

But most of all, whatever you choose to do, enjoy it - try to set aside an hour or two a week just for you. You are so worth it!
Lush Gal

Postby sassi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:18 am

the thing that makes me feel more groomed than anything else (don't laugh!) is having my eyebrows shaped. there is just something about messy eyebrows that make me feel like i'm really ungroomed!

the beauticians tell me that other people are the same, but they're probably just being nice! :oops:

you definitly deserve it & i can't wait to hear how it went & what you got done! i hope you enjoy/ed every minute of it!
sassi

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk