It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:10 am

Free Newsletter

How do i get the kids to eat vegies

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How do i get the kids to eat vegies

Postby Lynda » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:22 am

now that i am on the right track again. Any hints on how to get kids to eat vegies. They think for the first two weeks that's fine but now they crave junk food and are getting moody. How do i keep their food healthy and satisfy their cravings.

Lynda
Lynda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:23 am

two words. Be creative!!! there's nothing more boring for kids than plain old steamed vegies with a side of meat. Use plenty of herbs and spices to impart flavour and get a couple of good vegetarian cookbooks - they have bucketloads of fun, flavoursome recipes that the kids wont even realise are healthy.

Try my lentil patties (which i think I put in the recipe section) Lentils are full of fibre and healthy protein and there is carrot and celery (and pretty much anything you want to add to them) inside - so long as they're ok with spices, the kids will think they're yummy junk burgers.

Make a vege pasta sauce chock a block full of veges. i put garlic, onion, capsicum, tomato, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, corn and olives in to a shop bought base (you could just used tinned tomatoes) and you could make this fresh and then freeze the leftovers for later - kids always love pasta.

My fave for kids is to make tacos with red kidney beans. Boil them up till just tender, put carrot, onion, celery, zucchini (any vegie you like that softens and will blend in to the mass) and add some tomato sauce (can be paste, tinned tomato, tomato salsa or just plain old tomato sauce) and add a few spices (harissa mix works well). then serve with a range of finely chopped salads to top for them to choose from (capsicum, lettuce, tomato, salad onion - -anything they'll like) and a bit of cheese with taco shells. Kids love it cause they get to eat with their hands, be creative with their toppings and it looks like junk but is full of fibre, protein, iron, generally nutritious.

Hope those ideas help!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:04 am

Hi Lyn, Tegan has come up with some good ideas.
I used to make home made hamburgers. I'd get some really lean beef mince, in it I'd add oine or two oxo beef stock cubes, I'd then add a finely grated carrot, a finely grated large onion and some finely grated zuchini. I'd them make thin mince patties to put in a burger bun with some steak sauce (no need for salad with all that vege in there)

Another way I introduced vegies was to serve a delish dessert after dinner, but only for those that ate ALL their vege.
Each night I'd start off with ony a teaspoon of peas, one or two brussel sprouts and one teaspoon of carrot on their plate etc., so eating it wasn't a drama (increasing the portion size as months went by) But don't let them off the hook if they only have one bite of vege, it's a case of eat all of what's on the plate or sit at the table and watch the rest of the family eat their cake and ice-cream. Do not allow the destraction of TV during the meal time training, or they might abandon the meal for the entertainment.
The first two days are tough your kids will end up loving their veggies. My kids actually remember how I introduced mini servings and said they would start their kids on them the same way (when they have them) putting a little gravy on all cood veggies also helps.
Dolly

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:32 pm

I read your recipe for Lentil patties Butterfly but have one question. I have lentils sitting in a jar, only for the purpose of decoration so i don't have intructions on the back of a packet. Do i have to soak lentils before cooking, and also red kidney beans i also have in a jar for decoration, do i have to soak these before use. I have so many jars full of things just for decoration, i really didn't think you could do stuff that was tasty with them.

Postby Lynda » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:34 pm

I read your recipe for Lentil patties Butterfly but have one question. I have lentils sitting in a jar, only for the purpose of decoration so i don't have intructions on the back of a packet. Do i have to soak lentils before cooking, and also red kidney beans i also have in a jar for decoration, do i have to soak these before use. I have so many jars full of things just for decoration, i really didn't think you could do stuff that was tasty with them.
Lynda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Lentils you don't really need to soak, just give them a rinse, and then put them in a pot of boiling water. Red lentils will take around 5-8 mins and green/brown lentils take a bit longer 10-15 mins. Red lentils will fall apart and go to mush a lot more than brown (which is why they're often used for bases of dips and other mushy things) whereas brown lentils keep their shape a bit more.

The red kidney beans are best soaked (the longer you soak them, the less time they take to cook). I put mine in a pot in the morning and cover them with a generous amount of boiled water (they can more than double in size- just remember that when you're deciding how much to use same for lentils). When the water has gone cold, or closer to dinner time, i drain them, give them a rinse (this helps to stop the fart side effect too) and then put them in some fresh water to boil. Not entirely sure how long they take, I will have to time it next time, but around 3/4 hour to 1 hour of simmering, maybe a bit longer. When they get just tender (taste them to start with until you're familiar enough to tell by feel of a fork. They shouldn't be crunchy, but not falling apart, just tender) put all the other ingredients in EXCEPT the sauce and any salty spices. Make sure you put the sauce in only when the beans are cooked to where you want them - the salt slows the cooking process down.

You can of course use tinned beans, but I like to cook them from dried so i have more control of how soft I have them, and I think it's cheaper. The same process goes for any of your dried bean varieties.

Many people don't know how many things you can do with pulses and you can get some pretty bad things done with them. They can be fantastic though.

I'll put some recipes from my pulses recipe book in the recipe section tonight if you like.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Lynda » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 pm

Thanks for that it would be great for me to know more about these products.
Lynda

Return to Weight loss Talk