It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Free Newsletter

Party Food HELP!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Party Food HELP!

Postby BusyMum » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:16 pm

It is my birthday on Saturday and I am also having a linen party. There are going to be around 10 adults and 6 children here for afternoon tea and birthday cake. I am after some ideas for afternoon tea nibble foods that are low-fat, and preferably egg-free as my daughter has an egg allergy. I appreciate any suggestions as I got no ideas :?
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

Postby vanessa0305 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:26 pm

a fruit plater always goes down well with melons and strawberrys in season. How about vegie sticks and dip?

Postby Jisgone » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:28 pm

rice crackers with healthy dips like salsa or hummus, home made mini meat balls, sandwhiches, cut up fruit, tubs of diet jelly, mini pizzas made with pita bread, pits crisps, stuffed potatos (use mini gormet potatoes), home made sausage rolls/party pies

all i can think of right now :P

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:35 pm

sandwiches, cocktail frankfurts and sauce, fruit platter, cob and dip, little pastry's, pretzels, low fat cake or cup cakes

Postby Fireball » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 pm

If you like to experiment with recipes here are a few ideas from my home made cook book:

I'm not sure about the egg content of spaghetti.. When my kids were young for quick & easy party food I often made a casserole of a few cans of spagetti or baked beans with piles of home made meatballs. I added mixed herbs to the spaghetti or beans. Meatballs of: mince, onion, tomatoes, carrot, a variety of herbs & spices and bread crumbs (usually egg to bind but you could probably get away without, chill well before cooking - I snuck extra vegetables into every thing I made). lol Top with a few bread crumbs and grated low fat cheese. The kids loved it.

Dip - Sweetcorn - 200g Corn Relish + 200g low fat cream cheese
- Hummus - 1 cup chick peas, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 clove garlic (crush), 1/6 cup Tahine or 2tbsp Sesame seeds & 1 dsp oil, 1/4 tsp ground Cummin. 1. Soak peas overnight. 2. Vitamise peas. 3. Mix ingredients
- Tzatziki - 1 cup Cucumber (finely dice), 1 cup yoghurt, 1/2 lemon (juice), 1 tbsp mint (finely chop), 1-2 cloves garlic (crush). 1. Mix ingredients.

For dessert, "Yolly" as I called it, basically yoghurt & jelly, eg. 1 pkt low kJ orange jelly, 1 cup boiling water, 200g plain yoghurt, 452g Apricots unsweetened. 1 Add boiling water to jelly crystals. Refrigerate until partly set. 2. Puree apricot, add yoghurt & jelly. 3. Pour into dishes & refrigerate.

Now if the above recipes look like I'm a slacker hopeless cook, can I say with no modesty, I'm a great cook! but I've found that people often enjoy things that you can easily prepare and you don't have to deprive them of so much of your wonderful company. lol

PS I now have my own mincer so I chop the fat off the steak and mince in bulk every few weeks.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Return to Weight loss Talk