It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 am

Free Newsletter

When To Say When

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

When To Say When

Postby Fairie » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:16 pm

Saw this article on another site and thought it was worth reading.

When to say when

Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied. Simple advice? Yes. A simple philosophy to practise? Not so much. But becoming better in tune with your body's signals is the first step in mastering your food Comfort Zone.

Here are some basic guidelines that can help you better understand when to say when:

Stop
We have trained ourselves to eat at the first thought of being hungry. We have developed a false sense of what it feels like to be truly hungry. So, if you struggle with wanting to eat even when you're not hungry, how do you know if you actually do require food?

There are two types of hunger – physiological or psychological hunger. Psychological hunger can be triggered by the smells of food, thoughts feelings or the time of day, while physiological hunger is when you feel a rumble in your tummy, have trouble concentrating or can't seem to your zing back. A good way to test if your hunger is real is to delay eating by five to 10 minutes after the 'hunger pangs' strike. Psychological desire for food will probably subside.

Look
When you're eating, eat, and try not to do 10 things at once! Working on a document at your desk or watching TV will distract you from the project at hand – which in this case should be supplying your body with nutrients. So slow down and think about what you're eating. If you're eating quickly, you can surpass fullness without even realising it.

Listen
If you are eating a balanced meal you should be satisfied at one serving. But like we said above, if a second helping is calling your name, take a 10 minute break and listen to your body to see if you really are still hungry. Go outside, get the family to play a game, go for a walk or do the dishes to take your mind off of eating for a moment. The food will still be there – you can always go back for more.

Feel
"It's really easy to confuse physical hunger and fullness with emotional hunger and fullness," says Cynthia Sass, author of Your Diet is Driving Me Crazy . So if it's emotions that are causing you to overeat, she suggests keeping a food journal to help better understand your emotional overeating triggers. To do so, ask and answer some of these 'Why' questions when you realise you have overeaten:

"Why did I eat that particular food?" Did you really want it, or did you eat out of boredom, obligation or because you were upset/angry/anxious?

"Why did I decide to stop eating?" Were you full or did you finish what was on your plate or what the bag said was a serving size?

"Why did I eat?" Were you honestly hungry, or were you trying to ward off boredom or some other emotion?
Only once you begin to understand your emotional overeating triggers, says Cynthia, can you take steps to change your behaviour. "Food tastes good, eating feels good, and most people will need to try several things before they find what will make them feel good as an alternative to eating," she says.

It won't happen overnight, but with a little effort, the signals your body is sending you can be heard clear as a bell. So get reacquainted with your body's signals – it might just make all the difference in your weight-loss success.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Dolly » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:06 pm

Wow thanks Fay
Dolly

Postby Lynda » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:31 am

I never thought of eating in that way before. That was a great article.
Lynda

Postby Angel » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:53 pm

Great article, thanks Fay
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:54 pm

I practiced this tonight - I stopped eating my dinner when I was full. it goes against the grain though - I feel like I have to finish what's on my plate, like it's an insult not to even if I'm the cook!. :(
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:07 pm

Thats because as children we were bought up not to waste food and if you left food on your plate then it was rude! I don't make my children eat dinner. Most of the time they don't like what I have cooked but if they are truly not hungry then I wouldn't make them eat. If they don't like what I am cooking then they can cut some salad and fruit up to have for dinner instead. I don't let them eat crap instead and they can't have ice cream if they haven't eaten what i have cooked!!! even if they eat the salad!!! My daughter hates cooked vegies, even roasted ones! So if it is winter and there isn't much in the way of salad she has an apple. But it doesn't worry me. I know she eats plenty of food during the day. Most of the time at dinner time I'm not especially hungry but I eat because I have cooked a dinner for my partner and with hopes that the kids will eat it. My son has got a lot better and eats most things I cook, except lasagna and stir fry but that is fair enough. As a child if we didn't eat what was on our plates then we had to have it for breakfast. And let me tell you, it tastes 100 times worse in the morning!!! My parents were on the pritikin diet for many years when I was aged from about 9 and it damn near killed me!!! Thank gawd for the dog cos it ate most of my sister's and my dinners each night. If we could sneak it to her without dad seeing tho. We were so skinny. I remember one night going to stay at my aunts and she bought us take away for dinner and so we pigged ourselves on it and then she had ice cream and i had 2 bowls of it and consequently threw up! Thats why the kids can't understand why I get frustrated that they don't eat what I cook when it is delicious compared to what I had to eat at their ages!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Return to Weight loss Talk