It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:04 pm

Free Newsletter

Weightloss/Exercise Question

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weightloss/Exercise Question

Postby roxy09 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi everyone

I am wanting some help regarding weight loss / exercise.

I have never really had weight issues before, however over the last 2 years I have managed to put on approx 15-17 kgs.

I have looked into eating light n easy, going to weight watchers, however this is quite costly considering I am newly married.

I would like suggestions on what I should be eating, we eat alot of pasta, potatos, and naughty takeaway.

Also all my weight is on my stomach, hips, thighs, and I would greatly appreciate any exercise tips.

What in your opinions is an achievable timeframe to loose 15kgs?

Please help.

Postby help6363 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:51 pm

Hello :D

I am going to tell you what has worked for me...... I hope it helps you in some way....

1. I brought a calorie counting book (about $5.00) or there are FREE websites and I wrote down everything I ate and stuck within a specific calorie range. I lost 3 kgs in the firt week and then after about 1 kg a week. You just need to work out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight. I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) women should not go below 1,200 calories per day and men should not go belwo 1,500 calories per day.

If you are interested in calorie counting there are websites which will determine the number of calories you need to consume on a daily basis to lose weight. I used these calculators to work out how many calories I needed...... I had to shave some calories off to lose 1kg per week but I never went below 1,200.

2. I searched the Internet or headed to the local library and found recipes that informed me of the number calories that were in each recipe. Oh, they have a recipe section here too!

3. I drunk 6-8 glasses of water, took a multivitamin and a fish oil tablet daily.

4. I discovered exercise that I liked doing through trail and error. I tried new things and if I did not like the exercise, I went looking for one that I liked. At the start of my weight loss journey I liked walking, then I liked swimming, then I liked bike riding ....... now I like weight training and RPM (they are stationary bike riding classes)

IMO, weight loss does not need to be expensive........ I only spent $5.00 on a calorie counting book and 50c on a notebook to write down all the food that I ate in a day.......

GOOD LUCK! I look forward to reading your success story in the near future!

Postby help6363 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:58 pm

Oh.....sorry WELCOME to the site....... I forgot to write that in my above reply! :D

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:26 am

hello roxy and welcome to the froum! indeed weightloss does not have to be expensive (in my case I'm saving money).

My advice is to aim for the least processed foods you can, fruit/vegies wholemeal and heavy grain breads, limit starchy/processed carbs (sugar, white bread, pasta, packaged foods) and limit fats (i cut down drastically on cheeses, cream, butter etc, replacing them with healthier fats that are good for you such as in nuts, LSA, olive oil)

And with exercise, cardio will help reduce or burn fat, while strength training will build muscle and tone which makes you look firmer but also increases your resting metabolism, helping burn more fat when just sitting. Ideally, you should do some of both. I get mine by cycling (which manages to combine enough of both for me). I eat better and cycle to and from work/uni saving me money in fuel and gym costs.

The key though is in finding something you like which you can keep up for the long haul.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby jetsgirl » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:08 pm

hello all I am trying once again to lose weight but this time no diets or fads. I was interested by what you said Help. You mentioned a web site that can help you determine the amount of kj's you consume. I have never been able to work this out as the tables I have seen do not go as high as my weight. Could you pass on the web address of these sites.
Thank you

Postby lng86 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:13 pm is brilliant

It even provides a meal plan for you - if wanted!

Good luck!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)

Postby matchbox » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:14 pm

hey jetsgirl, try - its free for aussies and works out cals/kjs for your specific height and weight. i've just started using it this past week and it's really good :)
Have FAITH in yourself

Postby Bigrik » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:14 pm

Calorie counting certainly gives you ownership and a hard copy of what you need to follow. But bear in mind you need to look at the amount of activity you do as well.

For example if you have a kilo to loose it takes around 7700 calories to do so.

So if your activity levels are high, i.e. burning alot you can potentially see results faster. Where as with just purely diet controlled it may take a little longer.

My current program allows for around a 1800 calorie intake, as my out put is extremely high. I am currently on a calorie deficit of around 3000-3300 a day, but i have a lot more to loose than most
84 Day Challenge
28 Days Down 12.2kgs off
Goal 30kg
Stretch Goal 40kg

Postby jetsgirl » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:22 pm

wow you guys are unreal thank you :lol:
first goal

Return to Weight loss Talk