It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:50 am

Free Newsletter

Confused about Calories

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Confused about Calories

Postby GwenFan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:14 pm

Okay - so online "tools" say I should be keeping my calories up around 1400 at the most and never below 1200 (oops - I have only been consuming just over 1000!)

But then I read if 1400 isnt enough I can increase it to 1600 or 1800 calories to lose more weight.

Sorry to sound stupid - but how does this work? And how do calories burnt during exercise figure into it?
GwenFan

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:18 pm

im not a pro at counting calories either. all i know is that if you are under 1200 cals you could be in starvation mode where your body holds on to everything! i do this often without even realising it!

depending on how active you are, you need to eat more calories if you are working out more. its like fuel for your body. however if you have done exercise after eating all your calories for the day then you dont have to eat to get the deducted calories back up again.

the more weight you have to lose the more calories you have to eat.
kate_turner2000

Re: Confused about Calories

Postby help6363 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:27 pm

GwenFan wrote:Okay - so online "tools" say I should be keeping my calories up around 1400 at the most and never below 1200 (oops - I have only been consuming just over 1000!)

But then I read if 1400 isnt enough I can increase it to 1600 or 1800 calories to lose more weight.

Sorry to sound stupid - but how does this work? And how do calories burnt during exercise figure into it?

Hey!

Firstly, I am NO expert..... but I will tell you what I do, k?

I never go below 1,200 calories because of the whole starvation mode.

I was eating 1,500 calories a day and I was not losing any weight. I cut the number...... 1,300..... no weight loss for a month.... 1,200 calories per day weight loss within a month. Basically, what I am saying is that if I have lost 1-2kgs in a month, I stay around those calories. We are not all made from the same blueprint, so I guess different calories work for different people.

I have just used those sites as a rough guide and through trail and error found the number of calories that makes me feel I have enough energy to get through the day and should weight loss at the end of the month.

I know...wish washy answer ........ SORRY!
help6363

Return to Weight loss Talk