It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 am

Free Newsletter

Procrastinator

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Procrastinator

Postby JellyBelly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:38 am

Hi there,

I'm getting married in September and want to lose a few kilos and generally tone up all over. BUT I'm the worlds biggest procrastinator. I've tried everything from sticking a picture of my wedding dress to our treadmill, to playing all my favourite up-beat songs to get me in the mood and it's just not working :cry:

I don't live near friends whom I can go walking with and personal training is very expensive. I feel like I'm running out of options to get going.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
JellyBelly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:02 am

I'm sure you will get lots of support and suggestions here.

I was a big procrastinator too, and would come up with all kinds of excuses to not do the exercise I needed to. It finally came down to me being ready and prepared to admit that I needed to just do it, no more excuses.

The best advice I can offer you is to be real about what you are doing and start slow. There's a saying on this forum that it's better to walk for a lifetime than to run for a week. You don't have to start off doing high intensity fat blasting aerobics for 3 hours a day. Just start small and increase slowly.

Maybe try using the exercise and food diaries on here so you can actually see what you are doing right now. Then you can formulate a plan to start with - maybe it might be to walk for just 15 minutes a day for the first week, and slowly build it up. It might be to cut down on a certain kind of food. It's hard to be motivated when your goal seems overwhelming or intangible, so breaking it down into little bite sized, hard and fast chunks can help.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:07 am

Hi JellyBelly welcome to the forum.

The first step would be taking a record (journal/diary) account of what you're consuming food wise. We have an on line diary here where you can record your food whether it's biscuits or broccoli.

Sometimes it's not a case of eating high fat or high carb food, but more a case of eating too much healthy food.
The only things that have no calories are Air and Water.
Are you following any particular diet plan at the moment?
Dolly

Postby JellyBelly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:59 am

Dolly,

No, not really. I have been making an effort to try to cut back on junk food and up my water in-take, but it's very early days.
My vice is chocolate and although I have cut back on eating it, it's still my comfort/stress relief/anything food.
JellyBelly

Postby JellyBelly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:00 am

There's a saying on this forum that it's better to walk for a lifetime than to run for a week.

I really like that quote Butterfly_Dawn. Thank you!!! :D
JellyBelly

Postby Fairie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:45 am

Hi Jellybelly,

Congratulations on your approaching wedding. All the best with your weightloss journey, you will find heaps of support and motivation from everyone here.
:D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Dolly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:40 pm

Hi Jelly, I saw a self hypnosis show on TV where this lady craved chocolate more than anything in the world.
If it were in the house she would not rest until the last square was consumed.

The trick was that she had to close her eyes and imagine that the chocolate had fallen into something she found truly repulsive, the guy suggested vomit with human hair attached. Yuk! :shock:

I pictured this and started to dry reach.
My husband tested me by offering me some chocolate, I had to walk out of the room because I found it totally repulsive and kept dry reaching. It lasted for two weeks and then I had to renew my vision.

Everytime you think of consuming some of this fatty block, just do the self hypnosis thing beforehand.
It works with all types of food.
Dolly

Postby Groovychic » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:41 pm

Thats not a bad idea Dolly!!! I have found that just being a part of this forum has reformed my eating habits to a certain extent. Take today for instance. I didn't buy any fast food for lunch when I bought it for the kids. And now they are eating some more crap because their friends are over :? . I am looking forward to school holidays being over with. But what I am saying is that 3 weeks ago I would have had a handful or more of the chips they are eating and I would have bought take away for lunch. I didn't even bat an eyelid about not eating anything. I had my water to guzzle. Plus much safer driving and not eating hot chips at the same time!!! I find it much harder when my partner is around. With his attitude about women only lose weight for another bloke I don't really want to make him all that aware of what I am doing. Mind you the scales still say the same as 3 weeks ago!!! But he was reading the paper yesterday and there was something about belly sizes in there so he measured his and he was in the don't put anymore weight on catagory!!! Which surprised me cos he has a pretty big beer belly.......well not that big but it is more like a block instead of a 6 pack......hahaha. Anyway so I measured mine cos he insisted and I was in the same catagory according to their scale but it was 1.5 cms less than when I measured nearly 3 weeks ago. So maybe its a coincidence but maybe the sit ups and swimming etc has actually started to work a bit. I'm not going to do another body measurement until the end of this month but I am hoping to have lost a few cms all over by then. So in ending I want to say thanks to you lot because even tho nothing has come off yet I am actually feeling a little healthier as I'm not eating as much crap.......take away the days in Perth tho!!! It's a mental change I think.....which is great!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:47 pm

Well done Groovychic! It's surprising how much a small change can impact on your wellbeing. Even if you haven't lost anything on the scales, imagine how much stronger your cardiovascular and immune systems are!!! That in itself is a result to be proud of!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:56 pm

I've always been a walker...going nearly everyday for years and it something I have always said.......I may not look it but I am fit!!! And I know my heart is healthy!!! So I'm not likely to have a heart attack!!! But it has to be a change in the eating, which is happening and I feel very very proud of myself for doing it. Now I am off shortly to go scare other people at the dam away with the sight of me in my bathers!!! It's not too pretty but hey I don't care! I've only ever had people there when I have got there just the once so I have been lucky. And the kids don't care what I look like.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Great inner strength there groovy chick. There might possibly be hormonal craving days from time to time but with the mind controlling the body, they will become less and less.
Dolly

Postby Lynda » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:14 pm

I "envy" you Groovychic, i would never go out in public in bathers. That's one thing i miss swimming with my kids.
Lynda

*Squeals* Guess what!!!!

Postby JellyBelly » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:45 am

Guess what I did last night!! I actually did a bit of exercise!! My fiance came home from work and handed me a skipping rope. So I spent about 20 minutes out in the backyard skipping and had heaps of fun with it :D
JellyBelly

Postby Dolly » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:34 am

Fantastic work JellyBelly, skipping is not an easy thing to do.
you should record it here in our exercise Diary - http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=11 I get zonked after 100 skips
Dolly

Postby JellyBelly » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:43 am

I know Dolly, I'm really feeling it today! :lol: Wouldn't have the foggiest how many jumps I did though
JellyBelly

Return to Weight loss Talk