It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Free Newsletter

Whats a reasonable price for gym membership?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Whats a reasonable price for gym membership?

Postby MissE » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:24 pm

i tried out a gym today and it was nice, it had some great features. No pool, but I cant swim so haha, probably not an issue.
They have a special on that if I join this month its $25 a fortnight. Normally its $31 a fortnight. Thats on a 12 month contract, or I can go on no contract for $44 a fortnight.
I like the idea of no contract but $20 more a fortnight, I'd be willing to go on one I think!
But i dont know gym prices, is this good? It's for the Beachhouse, they have gyms all over the country, anyone know them?
Advise me please!
Life is too important to be taken seriously!

Postby BusyMum » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:08 pm

I have only ever joined one gym and it was really expensive. We paid around $115 per fortnight for my membership. But it was a womens only gym, I had access to all cardio equipment, gym classes, and i had a personal trainer for 30mins each week, as well as a dietician for 30 mins each week. If you were there during the right hours, breakfast was provided, then there was also a spa and sauna and showers and lockers available. It was really very nice and well worth the money in that case.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it depends what you are getting for your money as to whether it is well priced. You could always call some other gym's in your area to see what their prices are like in comparison. But sounds alright to me.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

Postby lng86 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:13 pm

It sounds like a great price if you are happy with the location and what it actually offers the clients.

Ask all the questions... For example: Does that include classes? Do they run through a personalised program for you? Ask everything that matters to you!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)

Postby Rustie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Yeh i found a great gym near home by accident. I pay 65 a month for all access and classes if i want them. Also has a creche and pool/spa/sauna/steam room. Im also having personal training which is 40 a session.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg

Postby MissE » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:49 pm

It has classes and a creche (which i dont need) but no wet areas, but really i just like the treadmills and bikes and the occasional class.. I've just had so many memberships before and stopped going and had to keep paying, im wary of doing it again, but on the other hand, I'm supposed to be making a positive change and its a big self-defeating to say 'i wont join a gym coz ill stop going in a couple months anyway' right?

Postby loveat116 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:21 pm

I have two memberships.

1st Gym - $9 a week
No classes, just cardio machines and weights room. SOOO worth the money cause its open from 5am-10pm and so many machines

2nd Gym - $80 a month for family membership
This is the gym at my dads old school. It includes Pool, Cardio Room, Weights Room, Spin Class and Lots of classes. But I hardly use the pool and classes.

So if you think your only going to use the machines shop around for one that doesnt have classes. You can also get free trial memberships on the site.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!

Postby MissE » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:49 pm

where abouts are you? coz i dont think SA has any gyms that dont have classes, I've looked everywhere and this is about the cheapest ive found... id love some suggestions if anyone has any! coz im really just about the cardio stuff...

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:01 pm

a gym about 20 minutes from me has free join up fees at the moment! yay! ...

but i wont be joining up :)

Postby MissE » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:27 pm

I've decided to join. When i went today I not only enjoyed myself, i jogged for 20 mins, something I've never done before and cant do on pavement because of a foot problem. Treadmills have the right amount of give and that in itself is worth $12 a week.
I'm gonna go 4 times a week. At least.

Return to Weight loss Talk