It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:42 am

Free Newsletter

exercise before dinner not after!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

exercise before dinner not after!

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:24 pm

Watched a program on telly called Ultimate Goals. Fitness trainer on this show said to do your exercise whether it be walking or gym or whatever, then to eat your evening meal within 45 mins AFTER exercising and NOT to eat dinner then exercise. The benefits are: if you eat after exercising your pulse is higher than usual, your metabolism is higher than usual, and your food will digest much quicker and you will burn more fat. If you feel you don't have enough energy to exercise on an empty stomach have some fruit or youghurt before exercising.

Postby JellyBelly » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:38 am

Oooh, will have to keep that in mind. I always thought exercise after eating is better, coz then you've got more energy
JellyBelly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:47 am

I always get stitches and cramps if I exercise after eating. I guess it's because your body is putting most of its blood flow into your muscles so your digestive system can't function as adequately. By the time I can exercise after food, I figure it's already digested.

I try to exercise before eating, but when I can't I figure it's still better to exercise after than to not exercise at all!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby linda » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:27 pm

I've been told a banana before exercising is really good for energy.
linda

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:28 pm

I just realised something reading that about exercising before dinner. When I lost 8kgs in 2001(had my sisters wedding to go to so great motivation!)I was going for a walk about 4.30 or 5 pm. I don't do that now. Mind you it is still too hot to even go at about 6 most days at the moment. It was winter when I lost weight so I was going at that time then I would come home and make tea. With little kids we ate at about 6 or so anyway. Now the kids are a bit older and again summer is here so it is more like 7 but maybe that might be something I should try again. Back then I was walking only for about 25 mins 4 to 5 times a week but it was all up and down steep hills. Now I go for between 40 mins to 1 hour in the morning with only a couple of slight hills. I walk really quickly but I do think the hills make a difference as well.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby BigM » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:23 am

cool, well that confirms it for me :D. I usually eat after i exercise, but i normally leave about 15 minutes break from exercise to start eating. Before i too thought it was better to eat then exercise for more energy and to burn the calories taken in, but usually you tend to feel lazier once you've eaten your main meal. I guess it's also a better feeling to relax and end the day off with a nice dinner than to be tired and hungry.
BigM

Postby linda » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:07 am

Hills will definitely make a difference, makes you work harder and in turn burns more fat.
linda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:41 am

tones your legs too. I swear all the hills are the main thing making my bum smaller!!

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Candice » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:46 pm

I eat before I exercise. I like to have dinner bout 6-ish and go walking between 8-9pm or so. I know Ive heard its better to exercise in the morning on an empty stomach and this will assist with weight loss. Only thing is training myself to get up and go walking of a morning. I always get up at a reasonable time but minus the walking :( I like it at night when its cooler.
Candice

Postby linda » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:23 pm

I don't believe it is better to exercise in the morning, it is definitely better in the latter part of the day when your metabolism is slowing down.
linda

Postby kymbahlee » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:43 pm

The best time to exercise is the time that is RIGHT FOR YOU. Finding a time that fits into your routine and becomes part of your everyday life is the most important thing in my humble opinion.
For example, I go for a 1/2 hour walk early morning and a 1/2 hour walk in the evening as this is when my husband can look after our little girl.
kymbahlee

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:17 am

I agree Kymbahlee. In an ideal world, there is probably an optimal time for exercise, but most people have other things to work around. I try to fit my exercise in to my daily schedule. So for example, if I need to go to the shop for something fairly small and non-perishable, I'll walk down, or walk to work or something like that. If possible, I try to make it not after meals as I get stitches and cramps otherwise, but I figure anything is better than nothing.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:22 am

Thats exactly right. If you can only fit a 10 minute walk into your day, well it's certainly better than not going at all. I tend to go in the morning only because half the time in the afternoons I make an excuse not to go. That was prior to the new year tho. Since joining the forum I have made the effort to go a bit more often.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby BigM » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:24 pm

yes i have to agree with kymbahlee too, if you feel happy and confident about the preffered time for exercise then it's probably the best way to do it. For me i hate to go in the sun, but some people believe its much better to exercise hotter since it, but i think i can walk more during nighttime than during the scorching sun.
BigM

Return to Weight loss Talk