It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 am

Free Newsletter

How frustrating!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How frustrating!

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Hey everyone,

I weighed in today and my weight didn't budge, not even 0.1kgs! I hate it when you think you've had a really good week and think you've lost at least 0.5kg, then those evil scales tell me otherwise.

I find it really hard to use this to motivate me for a really good weight loss next week. The little devil in me is saying - Why bother! What's the point!

I'm going to have a look at my food diary and re-evaluate but other than that, I don't know what to do.

I know I should be happy that I didn't put on and kept off what I've already lost but . . . . . .

How does everyone else cope with this? Any handy hints out there.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Lynda » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:19 pm

oohhh, come on Angel, i came to this site cause everyone seemed so positive. I have only been here for a couple of weeks and you have given me alot of inspiration. I honestly don't know what to say to you cause i'm new here and am not qualified to give advice, cause i'm still learning myself. But if you can get me motivated in losing weight, there must be something speacial about you. You have given me tips on almost every subject and hey i'm still here. Don't give up Angel, keep going and i'm there right behind you following, eagerly waiting your next motivation to me. :wink:
Lynda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:06 pm

Hi Angel,

In my first week on here, I put on a heap of weight. That got me quite demoralised. But you've just got to keep at it - if you give up now, you just have to start again sometime later down the track. I tend to see it as a prod to get back on track. I have the carrot of being slim and healthy and the prod of no progress or backsliding.

In the end, you just have to find the thing that works for you. I hope sharing how you feel with us helps.

Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Fairie » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:42 am

Hi Angel,

I know it can be so frustrating when you have done everything right but the scales didn't budge. All I can say is don't give up it will be worth it in the end. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby linda » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:28 pm

Angel what is your exercise routine?
linda

Postby Angel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:06 pm

Thanks for letting me share my feelings, I think I just needed to say it to people that understood how I felt, I appreciate your words of encouragement - I won't give up, I'll soldier on. And look forward to a decent shift in the scales next week. :D

Linda, my exercise routine is muscle strengthening exercises and a small amount of walking when I feel up to it (i.e. not every day), I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Please don't think that I'm using this as an excuse - if I do too much exercise I wind up not being able to get out of bed for days. Last year I lost 9kgs by eating healthy with minimal exercise probably even less than I'm doing now so I know its possible to shed kgs, it just happens a little slower than if I could exercise like everyone else. I have since put that 9kgs + back on (too much takeaways and alcohol) but that's another story, one I'm not likely to do again.

Thanks again for everyone's support, much appreciated.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby BigM » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:20 am

Hello Angel,

I'v had the same thing happen to me too, the scales just don't seem to budge no matter how much extra effort you push in each day. But perhaps there are several things which could help, you could reduce the time in which you weight yourself, that way you won't lose the confidence gained through excercising well and the thought of the scales not moving down. But it could also be due to the type and duration of the exercise performed.

You mentioned above that you do muscle strengthening exercises. Most people say that muscles weight more than fat, and it can be true that while you are losing fat, you actually gain muscles - so it looks as though you aren't losing any weight. But generally this shouldn't be a problem, as you develop stronger and harder muscle tone, you tend to be able to push your limits further.

I once asked a friend who was a great fan of body building what to do when the weight comes to a plateu, he told me to increase the performance of my exercise. This could help you alot, by increasing the amount of your exercise routine it can further boost your fitness level, giving you more energy and also helps build confidence in your performance. Before i use to get shortness of breath through short distance running, but by going a little bit extra each time, i can do 4 times the ammount of running before getting tired.

In the end it's all about consistency, although you may not see the results of weight loss through the scales, if you feel healthier then that's a better outcome.
BigM

Postby Groovychic » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:33 am

It's amazing tho how fit you can become by just doing that little bit more each week. I have slowly lifted how much further I do with the swimming, walking etc. I know I am fit but my body doesn't reflect the fitness of my heart! A friend said to me yesterday that she wonders if my metabolism is stuffed because of my parents putting the family on the pritikin diet when we were young! And I am wondering if that is the case. We were lean kids anyway and certainly didn't need to go on a diet and spending years on that diet certainly made me want to eat as much junk food as possible for the next 15 years or so after that! It's an interesting thought anyway.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Hayley » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:43 am

Hi Angel,

Don't worry about no weight loss this week - it could be that you are increasing your muscle! I have commenced the CSIRO eating plan again and have experienced the same thing. I too, thought about giving up, thinking 'what is the point?' if I am trying so hard with no results. Then, I hopped back on this forum and read all of the positive advice and comments that you guys share and it made me more determined not to give up.

So I re-evaluated my daily routine and realised that I was eating really well, exercising for an hour each day but I was not drinking enough water. For the last 3 days, I have been drinking 4 litres of water (this sounds like heaps but remember that you need to drink 2 litres a day anyway and more if you are exercising). Already, over the last 3 days, I have shed 1.8kg! I really do think that drinking lots of water is helping me, as water helps eliminate waste from your body.

Maybe you could try increasing you water intake each day. I admit, it does feel like a lot to drink and my bladder certainly hates me for it at the moment, but after reading a site suggested by Dolly I think, it says that after about 2 weeks your bladder/kidneys get used to it and you don't need to go to the loo as much.

It seems to be hepling me so maybe it might work for you too.

Don't give up, we're all here to support you!

Hayley
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:58 am

can icreasing your water intake give you stomach cramps? I've been getting abdominal pain in the last week or so, like when you've got gastro, but I don't.
I somehow feel it has to do with my increased water intake. At the moment I struggle to get 2+litres (I was never a big drinker - as a kid I used to go all day without drinking so I wouldn't have to go to the loo at school)

Butterfly_Dawn

Motivation!!

Postby dallee » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi Angel!

Don't let it get you down, remember if you are exercising and increasing your muscle mass, muscle weighs more than fat! Have you been taking body measurements? You may find you're losing centimetres quicker than losing weight! That's just as good!!

I've just started exercising again, was down to playing softball twice a week and that's about it. I got sick of going to the gym, cause you have to wait for the equipment to be free, and then they limit the time you can spend on it! I've just bought a X-Trainer second hand for $150, being trying to do 20 mins a night. I also got a swiss ball, have been using that too.

Keep your chin up, it takes time!

Slowly but surely.....

Dallee.

... Slowly but surely ...
dallee

Postby Dolly » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:37 pm

Cut down to just 6 drinks (glasses) per day and see if it makes any difference.
Are you eating enough iodine so that you aren't getting the first stages of hypothyroidism which can be painful ovarian cysts?

Iodine can be bought in the form of kelp tablets (my naturopath recommended natures own)
But first I'd just try cutting down on your water to see if it settles down.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi Dolly,
I am taking Kelp powder, so hopefully it's not low iodine. I'll try sticking to 1.5 litres of water and gradually build it up. Thanks for the advice, if it doesn't go away I'll head to the doctor.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Hope it's not too much iodine :shock:
Perhaps cut that out for a few days too, to see if it makes any difference.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:59 pm

what will too much iodine do to me? I'm only taking 1/2 a teaspoon in juice is that enough/too much :shock: ?

Butterfly_Dawn

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk